Lets Come Down From The Clouds On Minkah

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phinfan31, May 16, 2018.

1. Phinfan31

Phinfan31 A True Fan Donator

Alright so were all pretty stoked on this kid, right?

He has the physical tools. He has the brains. He has the will. He has the highlights. He also has the respect from a man that few have ever received. He could be a hall of fame level talent one day.

That being said...lets fall back to earth a bit and realize that few players ever reach that ELITE status. So lets pick him a part a little bit. Lets get negative (yes, I know we've enjoyed the lack of negativity around here lately) but lets compile any footage of this kid that raises an eyebrow and discuss it.

Watch these highlights of the National Championship game. I can't blame the kid for the Bulldogs literally going the opposite way of him on every single play...I mean that is a huge positive, right?

But what I do know, and what really concerns me, is that he is going 50% or less on wayyyy too many of these plays. The plays I'm referring to begin after 1:20 in the video. On many plays he is stopping before the whistle. On many plays he expects his teammates to make the play. This is troubling to me. This was the National Championship. Where is the energy?

No HOF'er takes a play off. No Dolphins Great ever took a play off. Did Jason Taylor? Did Zach Thomas?

I don't like what I see in this tape. I invite you all to find more videos (e.g. blown assignments, getting out played physically, etc.) and lets continue this discussion beyond my video. I know it isn't a popular thing to do, but I want to know this kids weaknesses. I want to know what to look for when the season begins.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    BigNastyFish, 1 dol fan and Stoobz like this.
  2. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

This is no fun.

3. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

If this is the tape you are going to use to demonstrate Fitzpatrick's negatives, than you might as well put him in the Hall of Fame right now. The only slightly negative play I saw on there was when a running back got outside on a running play and he had a bad angle, the running back was already past him so he let up. Other than that I see a kid who lined up all over the field, who stuck his nose in on running plays at him, blitzed from different areas of the field, and played the most sound assignment football I have ever seen from a prospect drafted by the Dolphins. I don't know how much more you could ask from the kid.

Banksy, dahlmarino, dolpns13 and 11 others like this.
  4. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

I think it is a blast. This is the first time in a long time that it is almost impossible to find anything negative about a Dolphin's first round draft pick.

5. Phinfan31

Noted. But you didn't address my concerns? And I might add that many other people (non-biased/non-Phins fans) had the same feelings as me in the comments on that video. There was definitely a few plays where he could have contributed and didn't make the effort. He was literally jogging. What if his teammate missed the tackle?

I know this tape doesn't demonstrate mental errors, etc. which is why I invite anyone else to contribute. Lets hunt down that footage together.

I figured a good way to kick this thread off would be a discussion about his energy and effort on plays he might not be in the heat of. I think this is an essential attribute at the next level. WR's are notorious for taking plays off, and this reminds me of that. While I think it would be unfair to say hes "taking plays off" here, his intensity is concerning nonetheless. This is the National Championship.

6. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

...but I like it up here.

I get what you’re doing, but I feel this borders on pessimism for the sake of pessimism. A few thoughts:

1) I watched that, and there were two plays I really disliked. The one on the Michel end run I remember watching live, and going, “Dude, come on.”

2) This clip didn’t discourage me; it did the opposite. Are there plays where Fitzpatrick stops running full-tilt before the whistle? Sure. But the plays (with the exception of a couple) were well away from him. There’s a line between “high motor” and “playing like a lunatic and ramming into a pile every single play.” The latter gets you personal fouls. What I really liked was watching Fitz’s anticipation in passing lanes. There are at least two times where he baits Fromm, and to his credit, Fromm sees him doing it, and doesn’t take the bait. Fitz is almost always in the right position.

3) The thing about reminiscing is that it’s selective. Zach and JT are legends, and legends don’t tarnish easily. But I find it difficult to believe they never, ever did the equivalent of what Fitzpatrick did here. The thing is, we have so many more camera angles today than we did during Zach and JT’s college years, so a direct comparison is impossible.

4) Man, is Fromm impressive.

7. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

You know that scene in the original Incredibles where the teacher takes the video of Dash putting the thumbtack on the teacher's chair...

[​IMG]

I'm not even sure what you are referring to, watching the video (and maybe one of the bama guys can correct me on this), but it seems like the Bama player are coached to not pile on. Meaning when you see Minkah slow down, the player is in the process of being taken to the ground, jumping in there at the last second will only lead to a potential penalty.

Watching through full games I see one of the most sound players to come out in the last 5 or so years.

rickd13 likes this.
  8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe FinHeaven VIP

I have watched and read just about everything on him and he was my top choice throughout and am thrilled we got him. With that said, I have seen that tape before and it’s not good. There are multiple instances there of him appearing to hold back or give up too early. He also gave a huge cushion in coverage and I had wondered if he was not playing at full strength.

The good news is that I had not seen those traits in anything else I have seen on him and I do believe he is a big time player in our defensive backfield for years to come.

9. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'll take that kind of game from him. but you are correct he did slow up some when he thought that his teammates had the guy instead of playing til the whistle blew. but I don't see it on 50% of the plays. Bakers game footage was a 100 times worse when you look at not going 100% every play. if we're playing him at FS though id assume watch film from 2016 tho

damaster21 likes this.
  10. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I get what you're doing . . . the reverse of highlight reels. And I agree to an extent. Highlight reels can make Pat White look like a potential GOAT. And I agree it is common for fans to project a rookie as god-like. With that as preface, none of the projections look unreasonable (sans HOF). Given the talent and dedication, seeing a quality starter is within reason.

No offense, but, yes, all humans take plays off. The question is how many. We don't know. How many ended up allowing a big play? Again, we don't know. I DO like what I see on tape . . . in it's entirety. I'm not going by highlight reels, good OR bad.

11. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Using FH as a pathological petri dish , I have come to realize that for every 7-8 members out of 10 who see the glass as "half full" the rest see that same glass as at best 2/3rds empty. I've also come to realize that in many cases it's a hard-wired predisposition or default mindset one reverts back to when fatigued from operating against their grain- and likely not their fault. Personally I couldn't live surrounded by perceived negativity, but that's just me.

Let me put the OP's mind to rest here. The likelihood that Fitz is who we see him as is better than 99%. We don't need to trust our own perceptions, our "fandom" which really is defined by enthusiastic hope. Instead, we should trust the SOB most of us Fins Fans have come to detest: Nick Saban. Say what you will about him, there is no denying that as an anal perfectionist, he makes Philbin look loosey-goosey. The big difference is that unlike Philbin, he translates those demanding qualities in ultimate successes.

So if I tell you that Fitz's teammates referred to him as "Saban's son;" that Fitz was the only player invited into coaches strategy meetings; that Saban has actually said thinking about Minkah makes him feel good and that he's one of his all-time favorite players, if not his all time favorite among the legendary Bama rosters, that really should be ALL you need to know vs a few plays that can be interpreted different ways on one ****ing tape!!!!!

There are so many others to focus hard-wired negativity on; let's not besmirch the best draft pick, (someone who's Mike Mayock's 5th ranked players higher than James & Edmund) we've lucked into in many years even before he takes the field ferchrissake!!!!!!!

12. Ren

Ren Rookie

I had a Stretch Armstrong when I was a kid. It could stretch pretty far, but not nearly as far as the observation of the OP.

13. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

No

HeavenCent and SCLSU Mud Dogs like this.
  14. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

OP seems like he’d be fun at a party.

HeavenCent, Coolguy3 and Phinfan31 like this.
  15. miami365

miami365 Rookie

College players are drafted on what they can do, any negatives and there always are are for the respective coaching staff to improve on. At worse his floor is a Chris Clemons with ball skills while the sky is pretty much the upper limit.

16. FSU Truth

You haven't seen the Incredibles? Excellent movie, easily one of the top 10 "superhero" movies made

dolpns13, Coolguy3 and russianbear like this.
  17. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

No, but I did watch Sausage Party, easily the best grocery store movie ever made.

18. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Thx Debbie Downer for your cautionary advice not to expect very much, but the reality is that Minkah is really, really good and he can make a huge contribution. Time will tell but don't be surprised when he starts making big plays, like he has throughout his entire college career. I see Fitzpatrick as the best DB to join the team in decades. We got lucky when he fell into our lap.

Austin Tatious and miami365 like this.
  19. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Derek Jeter sits when he pees Finheaven VIP Donator

I think people are giving the OP too much **** for this thread. It's nice to have some objective views for time to time, especially when they are laid out with respect and well thought out.

That being said I disagree with the OP I don't feel like his motor or desire to play football will ever be in question during his pro career. @Phinfan31 do you think it's possible minkah made some business decisions during that last game of his college career? Some stars skip bowl games all together so it's not out in left field to think it was possible

20. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

A lot of people on here know I don't like taking Bama players, espcially OL and RB. It isn't the Nick (he can go **** himself) Saban thing either. If anything it is that Nick is such a great coach that his players tend to be at their limit coming out of college and while they are solid players in the NFL they never seem to become the player they are supposed to be (think Julio Jones becasue he is obviusoly a shinning example of greatness at both levels).

With that said I think Fitz is gonna be a stud. Kid has all the tools and he is exactly what this defense needed to be flexible in today's NFL. Loved the pick and I can't wait to see him play.

21. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Fitzpatrick could be Ronnie Lott minus the thumping, human missile, plays or mentality. Not saying he's not physical, just not at the Lott level.

22. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

You, sir, have clearly never seen "Employee Of The Month."

23. FSU Truth

I hate Dane Cook, but for some reason, I will watch this and Waiting. Every single time I see it on, I will sit there and watch the whole movie.

24. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Better not look at the tape on our sporty new LB!

25. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

don't take offseason hope away from us, it's all we have.

jtoomuch, Pandarilla and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  26. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

What is it with the need to find a negative about every little good thing we get. You know I get that our team has been a constant struggle for several years but this is getting ridiculous. This non stop need to nit pick every little thing. Just start another Tannehill basing thread....at least that's been going on for 5 years and is normal. I'm numb to that now.

27. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

EVERY player takes a play off from time to time. Nothing to see here

28. GUH-sick-EE

GUH-sick-EE Active Member

I mean other than the one play you pointed out, the rest of the tape looked fine to me. It's probably his job to keep things in front of him, and you can't do that if you're constantly attacking.

As to the theme of the post, I agree with @Blackcreekbandit. I see nothing wrong with it, and I'm the first to get annoyed at overly negative people.

Blackcreekbandit likes this.
  29. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

Nah, they just took playoff games off. No biggie.

30. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

This is precisely why we are in the clouds over this kid, and exactly why it is warranted.

He is not perfect, no player has ever been perfect, but all signs (which you so kindly listed) are pointing to this kid being an absolute stud.

31. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Ahhh, just read any thread about Tannehill and you'll see negativity galore

32. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

lol....you said it better than I could.

33. *Demi*God*

*Demi*God* Well-Known Member

Randy Moss is in the HOF and he admitted numerous times he took plays off...

34. dougb123

dougb123 Member

Play at 1:10 Fitzpatrick did everything possible, spun off a block - TE wanted to pancake him, pursued the running back down the line of scrimmage until his point of attack was blocked by a CB once that happened he lost all his speed, linebacker was also blocking his point of attack - I'm not sure what you saw there other than an exceptional play by an good RB freezing the CB and making a play on the edge of the boundary....

Lesser player would of been taken out by the TE - that was good effort play not a lack of effort

He will miss play's that forsure all do...over all elite player with elite talent and that all you can ask for.

35. Phinfan31

Thank you Bandit. I think a lot of these guys are just super sensitive from all the Tannehaters in the past several years. And I actually had contemplated that same thought! I was thinking that its possible he was protecting himself because hes literally one game away from his dream. I also thought that maybe he was just saving the juice whenever he could for the 2nd half since things weren't going as well as Bama wanted.

To anyone who commented on this as being negative...I'm not trying to spoil the fun here. I simply want to analyze the kid in order to foresee potential areas of struggle. If anyone thought that there is zero concern for his energy in this game, then I challenge you to find a new topic of discussion - (e.g. mental errors, being outplayed physically, etc.) I'm SURE there is footage out there.

GUH-sick-EE and Blackcreekbandit like this.
  36. 1Dolfan

1Dolfan Starter

my only knock on Minkah is that he isn't Tremain Edmunds who i think will be a certified all pro.

i have no real concerns with Minkah but i will keep tabs on Derwin and Edmunds to see if we did get the best player.

MelbournePhin likes this.
  37. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Bad thread...there’s no plays off... he has “contain” responsibilities which means sometimes he is there if the guys in front miss...which team won the game?

38. BlueFin

Edmunds has far more question marks in his play than Fitzpatrick...so does James.

GUH-sick-EE, Stoobz and djphinfan like this.
  39. BlueFin

Fine to be objective....silly to go overboard.

By all accounts this kid checks all the boxes since his freshman year...as sure fire of a lock as you will find.

40. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Not going all out? Hmm what other draft choice did we draft where that concern was brought up?

Oh yeah..Baker!