Lets Come Down From The Clouds On Minkah | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets Come Down From The Clouds On Minkah

Alright so were all pretty stoked on this kid, right?

He has the physical tools. He has the brains. He has the will. He has the highlights. He also has the respect from a man that few have ever received. He could be a hall of fame level talent one day.

That being said...lets fall back to earth a bit and realize that few players ever reach that ELITE status. So lets pick him a part a little bit. Lets get negative (yes, I know we've enjoyed the lack of negativity around here lately) but lets compile any footage of this kid that raises an eyebrow and discuss it.

Watch these highlights of the National Championship game. I can't blame the kid for the Bulldogs literally going the opposite way of him on every single play...I mean that is a huge positive, right?

But what I do know, and what really concerns me, is that he is going 50% or less on wayyyy too many of these plays. The plays I'm referring to begin after 1:20 in the video. On many plays he is stopping before the whistle. On many plays he expects his teammates to make the play. This is troubling to me. This was the National Championship. Where is the energy?

No HOF'er takes a play off. No Dolphins Great ever took a play off. Did Jason Taylor? Did Zach Thomas?

I don't like what I see in this tape. I invite you all to find more videos (e.g. blown assignments, getting out played physically, etc.) and lets continue this discussion beyond my video. I know it isn't a popular thing to do, but I want to know this kids weaknesses. I want to know what to look for when the season begins.

Thx Debbie Downer for your cautionary advice not to expect very much, but the reality is that Minkah is really, really good and he can make a huge contribution. Time will tell but don't be surprised when he starts making big plays, like he has throughout his entire college career. I see Fitzpatrick as the best DB to join the team in decades. We got lucky when he fell into our lap.

Last edited:
I think people are giving the OP too much **** for this thread. It's nice to have some objective views for time to time, especially when they are laid out with respect and well thought out.

That being said I disagree with the OP I don't feel like his motor or desire to play football will ever be in question during his pro career. @Phinfan31 do you think it's possible minkah made some business decisions during that last game of his college career? Some stars skip bowl games all together so it's not out in left field to think it was possible

A lot of people on here know I don't like taking Bama players, espcially OL and RB. It isn't the Nick (he can go **** himself) Saban thing either. If anything it is that Nick is such a great coach that his players tend to be at their limit coming out of college and while they are solid players in the NFL they never seem to become the player they are supposed to be (think Julio Jones becasue he is obviusoly a shinning example of greatness at both levels).

With that said I think Fitz is gonna be a stud. Kid has all the tools and he is exactly what this defense needed to be flexible in today's NFL. Loved the pick and I can't wait to see him play.

Fitzpatrick could be Ronnie Lott minus the thumping, human missile, plays or mentality. Not saying he's not physical, just not at the Lott level.

What is it with the need to find a negative about every little good thing we get. You know I get that our team has been a constant struggle for several years but this is getting ridiculous. This non stop need to nit pick every little thing. Just start another Tannehill basing thread....at least that's been going on for 5 years and is normal. I'm numb to that now.

EVERY player takes a play off from time to time. Nothing to see here

I mean other than the one play you pointed out, the rest of the tape looked fine to me. It's probably his job to keep things in front of him, and you can't do that if you're constantly attacking.

As to the theme of the post, I agree with @Blackcreekbandit. I see nothing wrong with it, and I'm the first to get annoyed at overly negative people.

Alright so were all pretty stoked on this kid, right?

He has the physical tools. He has the brains. He has the will. He has the highlights. He also has the respect from a man that few have ever received. He could be a hall of fame level talent one day.

That being said...lets fall back to earth a bit and realize that few players ever reach that ELITE status. So lets pick him a part a little bit. Lets get negative (yes, I know we've enjoyed the lack of negativity around here lately) but lets compile any footage of this kid that raises an eyebrow and discuss it.

Watch these highlights of the National Championship game. I can't blame the kid for the Bulldogs literally going the opposite way of him on every single play...I mean that is a huge positive, right?

But what I do know, and what really concerns me, is that he is going 50% or less on wayyyy too many of these plays. The plays I'm referring to begin after 1:20 in the video. On many plays he is stopping before the whistle. On many plays he expects his teammates to make the play. This is troubling to me. This was the National Championship. Where is the energy?

No HOF'er takes a play off. No Dolphins Great ever took a play off. Did Jason Taylor? Did Zach Thomas?

I don't like what I see in this tape. I invite you all to find more videos (e.g. blown assignments, getting out played physically, etc.) and lets continue this discussion beyond my video. I know it isn't a popular thing to do, but I want to know this kids weaknesses. I want to know what to look for when the season begins.

This is precisely why we are in the clouds over this kid, and exactly why it is warranted.

He is not perfect, no player has ever been perfect, but all signs (which you so kindly listed) are pointing to this kid being an absolute stud.

Back
Top Bottom