Lets Come Down From The Clouds On Minkah | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets Come Down From The Clouds On Minkah

If this is the tape you are going to use to demonstrate Fitzpatrick's negatives, than you might as well put him in the Hall of Fame right now. The only slightly negative play I saw on there was when a running back got outside on a running play and he had a bad angle, the running back was already past him so he let up. Other than that I see a kid who lined up all over the field, who stuck his nose in on running plays at him, blitzed from different areas of the field, and played the most sound assignment football I have ever seen from a prospect drafted by the Dolphins. I don't know how much more you could ask from the kid.
lol....you said it better than I could.

Alright so were all pretty stoked on this kid, right?

He has the physical tools. He has the brains. He has the will. He has the highlights. He also has the respect from a man that few have ever received. He could be a hall of fame level talent one day.

That being said...lets fall back to earth a bit and realize that few players ever reach that ELITE status. So lets pick him a part a little bit. Lets get negative (yes, I know we've enjoyed the lack of negativity around here lately) but lets compile any footage of this kid that raises an eyebrow and discuss it.

Watch these highlights of the National Championship game. I can't blame the kid for the Bulldogs literally going the opposite way of him on every single play...I mean that is a huge positive, right?

But what I do know, and what really concerns me, is that he is going 50% or less on wayyyy too many of these plays. The plays I'm referring to begin after 1:20 in the video. On many plays he is stopping before the whistle. On many plays he expects his teammates to make the play. This is troubling to me. This was the National Championship. Where is the energy?

No HOF'er takes a play off. No Dolphins Great ever took a play off. Did Jason Taylor? Did Zach Thomas?

I don't like what I see in this tape. I invite you all to find more videos (e.g. blown assignments, getting out played physically, etc.) and lets continue this discussion beyond my video. I know it isn't a popular thing to do, but I want to know this kids weaknesses. I want to know what to look for when the season begins.

Randy Moss is in the HOF and he admitted numerous times he took plays off...

Play at 1:10 Fitzpatrick did everything possible, spun off a block - TE wanted to pancake him, pursued the running back down the line of scrimmage until his point of attack was blocked by a CB once that happened he lost all his speed, linebacker was also blocking his point of attack - I'm not sure what you saw there other than an exceptional play by an good RB freezing the CB and making a play on the edge of the boundary....

Lesser player would of been taken out by the TE - that was good effort play not a lack of effort

He will miss play's that forsure all do...over all elite player with elite talent and that all you can ask for.

I think people are giving the OP too much **** for this thread. It's nice to have some objective views for time to time, especially when they are laid out with respect and well thought out.

That being said I disagree with the OP I don't feel like his motor or desire to play football will ever be in question during his pro career. @Phinfan31 do you think it's possible minkah made some business decisions during that last game of his college career? Some stars skip bowl games all together so it's not out in left field to think it was possible

Thank you Bandit. I think a lot of these guys are just super sensitive from all the Tannehaters in the past several years. And I actually had contemplated that same thought! I was thinking that its possible he was protecting himself because hes literally one game away from his dream. I also thought that maybe he was just saving the juice whenever he could for the 2nd half since things weren't going as well as Bama wanted.

To anyone who commented on this as being negative...I'm not trying to spoil the fun here. I simply want to analyze the kid in order to foresee potential areas of struggle. If anyone thought that there is zero concern for his energy in this game, then I challenge you to find a new topic of discussion - (e.g. mental errors, being outplayed physically, etc.) I'm SURE there is footage out there.

my only knock on Minkah is that he isn't Tremain Edmunds who i think will be a certified all pro.

i have no real concerns with Minkah but i will keep tabs on Derwin and Edmunds to see if we did get the best player.

Bad thread...there’s no plays off... he has “contain” responsibilities which means sometimes he is there if the guys in front miss...which team won the game?

my only knock on Minkah is that he isn't Tremain Edmunds who i think will be a certified all pro.

i have no real concerns with Minkah but i will keep tabs on Derwin and Edmunds to see if we did get the best player.

Edmunds has far more question marks in his play than Fitzpatrick...so does James.

Fine to be objective....silly to go overboard.

By all accounts this kid checks all the boxes since his freshman year...as sure fire of a lock as you will find.

Not going all out? Hmm what other draft choice did we draft where that concern was brought up?

Oh yeah..Baker!

I am almost always in favor of trading down. I believe there is safty in numbers. This year in rounds 1 and 2 we took the right players. In terms of taking plays off no one here knows the strategy of a single athletic event. Tape doesn't show those nagging injuries that a player might have to let up on just enough on a play so he can stay on the field the entire game. Look I like to see tendencies over a period of years to evaluate our players, not just the freak athletic talent. Tunsil and Fitz we couldn't pass on imo but in Tunsil he got nicked up in college and didn't play up to his potential always. Parker is another example and yes Drake while talented couldn't get the starting rb position in bama not because of his performance but his inability to stay healthy on the field. Expect those tendencies to continue in the NFL over a longer season. What makes the biggest difference imo is the coaching up. A good great coach will evaluate these holes in their players makeup, then take steps to protect those issues from happening come game day. Count me not as optimistic on Gase this year as many on this site but I am optimistic on the new hire assistant coaches. Those guys are in the best positions to make the difference for this team this season

Hundreds of scouts have already done the work that you are gleefully urging others to help you with.

I don't understand your point. Are you trying to piece together reasons why Minkah wasn't worth the 11th pick? Is this a negative campaign to set you up for a future "I told you so" thread if Minkah for some crazy reason doesn't pan out?

Perhaps you were one of the fans who really wanted to jump up and grab a QB and this is your way of pissing on everyone's joy?

Back
Top Bottom