Lets Come Down From The Clouds On Minkah | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets Come Down From The Clouds On Minkah

• Comes in hot as tackler and will run himself out of position to finish
That’s my top concern- he often comes up as a tackler out of control & takes himself out of plays. He could get away with it at Bama b/c he’s a helluva talent, so hopefully he’ll clean that up in the pros.

I think people are giving the OP too much **** for this thread. It's nice to have some objective views for time to time

ob·jec·tive
əbˈjektiv/
adjective
adjective: objective
  1. 1.
    (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
    "historians try to be objective and impartial"
    synonyms: impartial, unbiased, unprejudiced, nonpartisan, disinterested, neutral, uninvolved, even-handed, equitable, fair, fair-minded, just, open-minded, dispassionate, detached, neutral
    "I was hoping to get an objective and pragmatic report"
    antonyms: biased, partial, prejudiced
    • not dependent on the mind for existence; actual.
      "a matter of objective fact"
      synonyms: factual, actual, real, empirical, evidence-based, verifiable
      "eight objective measurements to track student performance"
      antonyms: subjective

pes·si·mis·tic
ˌpesəˈmistik/
adjective
adjective: pessimistic
  1. tending to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen.
    "he was pessimistic about the prospects"
    synonyms: gloomy, negative, defeatist, downbeat, cynical, bleak, fatalistic, dark, black, despairing, despondent, depressed, hopeless; More

antonyms: optimistic

So lets pick him a part a little bit. Lets get negative ....lets compile any footage of this kid that raises an eyebrow ... I invite you all to find more videos (e.g. blown assignments, getting out played physically, etc.) and lets continue this....

Last edited:
Somewhere out there is a video that shows every interception that Dan Marino threw in order to show why he's not a HOFer.

Then again, no one drafts a player in the first round based on their floor.

Look, I know you want to go negative on Minkah Fitzpatrick, but you need to pick a different video. All that one does is make me more convinced that if he had come out this year, Jake Fromm would have gone #1 overall. That kid is a natural beast at QB, and he's going to be the next great one to come out of college. As a prospect, he's the closest I've seen since Andrew Luck.

As in the words of Bill Parcells don't focus on what he can't do focus on what he can do.

So some of you disagree with me, many comments in the Youtube, and professional scouts that noted a couple plays from his National Championship game. Fair enough.

But again, the point of this thread is to TRY and find anyyyyy slight weaknesses in his game and discuss them. So now that I've moved to my new condo and I've got a little more time to spare...I've started looking for any negative footage. And you know what? I can't find ****. I mean I Googled every negative word with his name (struggle, concern, gets "beat", weaknesses, etc.) and I literally cannot find anything. But that isn't gonna stop me.

So far this is all I've found:

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/minkah-fitzpatrick-nfl-draft-2018-analysis

In this video, a former NFL safety says he thinks Minkah will struggle (initially) because of his lack of playing in space in college. When I've researched evaluations of Minkah in space, they tend to be positive, so I questioned his statement at first....but so far I've found that in all of those instances Minkah was still within 10 yards. So this former players statement is valid ---hes never really been 15-20 yards back from the play and had to face those situations against a star RB, TE, or WR in huge space.

So what do you guys make of this? Malik Hooker, who was highly regarded for his ability to play in space struggled in his 1st year. Its very possible that we could see the same for Minkah if he is in those situations on the field. Right? This is something we can look for when we first see him on the field.

https://medium.com/mesh-point-scouting/2018-nfl-draft-film-breakdown-minkah-fitzpatrick-4c098e45140f

This link provides 2 clips and claims that Minkah struggles 1 - with his hips at times, and 2 - with plays that go behind him. Of course, we don't know where Minkah will play for us until the start of the season, and even then its possible it could change...but what positions will Minkah face these issues the most? Isn't it the very (slot) corner position that he covets? So if we see him in these situations, it'll be interesting to note the speed in which he adjusts his hips and if that is a factor in him getting beat.

What I see from both of these though is 2 contradicting points of view on Minkah. One claims that he will struggle in open space with the play in front of him, and the other link claims he will do better with plays in front of him and that he will struggle with plays that go beyond him and force him to adjust his hips.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm sure Ed Reed got beat a few times..kids gonna make mistakes and I hope he's a fast learner..

Am far more concerned with how they accommodate Jones and McDonald than the best talent to fall to the Dolphins in years.

He's a hard prospect to nitpick - especially considering where they got him in an iffy draft. Gun to my head, I'd say there might be a transition period if he's put at FS full time. I could see them playing it safe (or not utilizing him right at all ... gulp) and putting him at center field full time to learn the position in the NFL ... then easing him into other roles.

It would be the incorrect route to go but it's not out of the question ... factors considered.

Back
Top Bottom