Lets get Alex Smith | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets get Alex Smith

Sherif

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1949867-1.jpg
clear.gif

- A very intelligent player, Smith came to Utah with almost two years of college level courses completed. Smith translates his book smarts onto the field and is a mistake free player. His mobility is another great strength of his and he has the footwork to escape a pass rush. Unlike most mobile quarterbacks, Smith stands tall at 6’3 and is able to see downfield.

Look at what a rookie QB did for the Steelers in 2004. They were a sub .500 outfit the previous season. Leadership and mistake-free QBing can turn a team around.

Saban and Alex Smith could get this team in contention for a playoff spot sooner than later. This draft is deep in RBs and if we can dredge-up a 2nd rounder for Surtain...we can still get a RB prospect with great potential in round 2. More often than not, the presence of a great QB usurps the pure production provided by a 1,300+ yard running back in the W/L loss column big picture. You can build around a top notch QB for a decade (or more) while a stud RB may only have productive life span of 4-5 seasons befor injuries and wear and tear reduce their effectivness. A great QB will only be reaching his prime when a stud RB will wearing down. I hope Saban takes Mr. Smith - since Aaron Rodgers seems headed for San Fran.

I'm just always so worried about taking a QB in the first round.. They don't seem to work out enough for the teams that pick them..

Sherif said:
1949867-1.jpg
clear.gif

- A very intelligent player, Smith came to Utah with almost two years of college level courses completed. Smith translates his book smarts onto the field and is a mistake free player. His mobility is another great strength of his and he has the footwork to escape a pass rush. Unlike most mobile quarterbacks, Smith stands tall at 6’3 and is able to see downfield.

Look at what a rookie QB did for the Steelers in 2004. They were a sub .500 outfit the previous season. Leadership and mistake-free QBing can turn a team around.

Saban and Alex Smith could get this team in contention for a playoff spot sooner than later. This draft is deep in RBs and if we can dredge-up a 2nd rounder for Surtain...we can still get a RB prospect with great potential in round 2. More often than not, the presence of a great QB usurps the pure production provided by a 1,300+ yard running back in the W/L loss column big picture. You can build around a top notch QB for a decade (or more) while a stud RB may only have productive life span of 4-5 seasons befor injuries and wear and tear reduce their effectivness. A great QB will only be reaching his prime when a stud RB will wearing down. I hope Saban takes Mr. Smith - since Aaron Rodgers seems headed for San Fran.

6'4"......Mr. Smith goes to Miami.

ALex Smith had a terriffic workout. One scout said it was the best workout that he had seen since Troy Aikman's (per NFL Network).

I don't think there's any question about where I stand on this issue.

Smith, 2nd Pick overall

haha yes even if we get a QB, please dont expect another big ben, he performed that well because they were the best rushing team in the AFC so he didn't have to carry the offense... plus they have a great o-line... you'll find a great rookie QB season probably once every 25 years (when was the last one really? marino?)... dont bank on that...

If we draft him, he won't play much the 1st year if at all. He has some developing to do, but could turn out to be a seriously good pro. I would be happier with Brown but A. Smith is a very good choice.

arsenal said:
haha yes even if we get a QB, please dont expect another big ben, he performed that well because they were the best rushing team in the AFC so he didn't have to carry the offense... plus they have a great o-line... you'll find a great rookie QB season probably once every 25 years (when was the last one really? marino?)... dont bank on that...

who's asking for a great rookie season? i don't care if he sits all year.

what i DON'T want is to spend a #2 pick on an rb who will be showing signs of wearing down by the time saban is close to building a team capable of becoming a dynasty.

especially when you consider that AJ will be in his 30s by then...

drafting smith would be a great pick for the future. i don't expect big ben out of him; i expect rookie qb play out of him- some struggles, a couple of picks, but improvement from week to week, something that has me saying "wow, he looks a lot better this week". he probably wouldn't play until we're out of playoff contention, assuming we don't make it (not pessimistic, just realistic), so he'd be a pick whose rewards probably won't be seen until '07 or '08, but that's perfectly fine to me. the fins have to roll the dice on a qb some time, so i'd much rather address qb now and have that position secure for the next 10-15 years than keep on signing and trading for re-treads.

I dont know if its a stunt to fool other teams but this is what Saban had to say about drafting a QB.

Saban talks about the need to find a great quarterback to have a championship team, but also concedes that finding that player atop the draft is a gamble.

''The history of drafting [successful] quarterbacks in the first round is a 30 percent hit,'' Saban said. ``I don't know what the odds are on a craps table in Vegas, but I know about that one.''

If the Dolphins cannot find a trade-down scenario that suits them, it seems logical Brown would be their choice.

He has been impressive to everyone in workouts, running a 40-yard dash time in less than 4.5 while weighing 233 pounds.

tartan y fronts said:

what i DON'T want is to spend a #2 pick on an rb who will be showing signs of wearing down by the time saban is close to building a team capable of becoming a dynasty.

:yeahthat:

Great post!

I will give it to you, of course smith will probably turn out great or amazing but right now we need a RB because the ones we have now are not up to par so to speak. ;)

tartan y fronts said:

if you read the first post he said look at what a rookie QB did for pittsburg, blah blah... thats what i was commenting on...

but you want a QB who will develop in lets say a generous time of 3 years just as our defense totally falls apart? a rookie RB could last us 8 years, your saying we need more than that to develop a winning team? damn

Back
Top Bottom