Let's Get Negative!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's Get Negative!!!

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
I was at the game on Monday night in Tampa, and I was very disappointed with the performance of this new DL that didn't show up...

The DT position looks to be the major area of concern today....

DT L. Chester was not nearly as effective as I was expecting, and T. Bowens looked like a shell of his old self as well....

I'm not going to sugar coat this subject anylonger....

WE NEED HELP AT DT!!!

Right now, the only DT I think would be worth pursuing is DT S. Adams. We need more help on the DL, and he would immediately make the roster as the starting DT opposite T. Bowens.....

L. Chester is a nice addition, but if Monday night was any indication of what to expect from him come September, we're in serious trouble. He's big and strong, but he was dominated Monday night......Is he really starter material??

I'm not expecting Dave or Rick to sign anybody at DT, but they may be hoping they had if this DL continues to give up 35-40 yard chunks on a regular basis.....

We signed DE J. Williams once DG was released, and we really don't even need him. A. Ogunleye is better than him. We needed a DT!!!!

I'm not completely doubting Chester and Bowens just yet, but if we end up allowing the Saints to rush for over 100yrds in the first half on Thurday, you can bet the fans wont be too pleased, and will be pushing Dave and Rick to make a serious run at finding another DT to secure the DL against the run......

Our pass rush looked decent, but we couldn't stop the run at all...

When we needed another DT on the DL, we chose to sign a mediocre DE instead.....The DE position is deep with talent even without J. Williams. The DT position is very shallow right now.

Find a way to get the money, and sign DT S. Adams!!!!

I'm not going to sit there and support this team if we're going to end up averaging over 130 yards a game against the run.....That's just inexcusable.

We went through this same problem last season with injuries causing most of the problems at DT. We now have healthy players, and nothing has changed so far. If we want the defense to stay fresh, we better find a quick fix to this problem at DT......

PHINZ RULE!!!!:cool:

They should give Chester off till Monday.

Sorry dude. But you missed the boat on this one. Larry Chester wasn't dominated that night. Actually he did pretty well playing on a very bad ankle that ended up getting re-injured and knocking him out of the game.

And if you want to point to the big run by Pittman, read my post on the play.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&postid=62563#post62563

If Larry Chester gets healthy, we're going to be in great shape at DT.

PRESEASON PRESEASON PRESEASON PRESEASON, start complaining in September if we still have a problem until then get some tissues.

Shhhhh! I think we only just now managed to quiet down the naysayers. I was at the game too and I too was disappointed in the run defense. You can use the schemes or lack of game plan or whatever as an excuse but the bottom line is even in the base defense we should not be allowing a plain no-bells-and-whistles run up the gut with Michael Pittman turn into a 35 yarder man. That should not happen. And it was the first play from scrimmage so Chester hadn't popped his ankle yet.

We have a choice here. We've got like 4 million in cap space. We could toss it into the ring on a decent sized Sam Adams contract, or we could use that 4 million to extend contracts to the likes of Ricky and others and make sure the Dolphins are fiscally solvent for years to come and be satisfied with trying to throw 8 men in the box more often and hoping helps the run defense enough.

What I really think should happen is the coaches should hold Larry Chester and Tim Bowens BOTH out of action against the Saints tomorrow night, give Chester about a week of rest where he's NOT ALLOWED to step onto the field, then throw the 8 men in the box and hope for the best. But this DL could be the best passrushing DL we've had in a long time (see Zach's comments) and our secondary is more than solvent its awesome so we should be able to get away with 8 men in the box and still not allow too many big pass plays (though we will allow some, kind of like 1999...since Jim Bates arrived our pass defense has gotten better and run defense worst).

I do know one thing though, its entirely possible that guys like Zach Thomas and Brock Marion simply were not trying very hard. Zach said outright after the game he was only running a fraction of what he does in real games cuz its preseason. Brock is the same way. Neither of these guys are on the bubble.

Also the Jay Williams signing made perfect sense at the time. We had just lost Daryl Gardener on the depth chart. Can you tell me what he was slated to do for us during the season? I can. He was to play LDE on run downs, and RDT on pass downs. What is Jay Williams' specialty? He's supposed to be a strong run defender at End, and he's a good passrusher from DT (see two sacks against the Titans). Before training camp, how could we possibly know that David Bowens who was compared to Jason Taylor more often than not, would actually be fairly active against the run? And Adewale Ogunleye was still as much a question mark as ever, and the coaches knew DAMN well that Rob Burnett isn't cut out for fulltime duties anymore. Jay Williams was the perfect replacement for DG.

It wasn't first play from scrimmage because it came at 7:33 in the first quarter. But still, you can't say that Larry Chester wasn't hurting. Actually, the injury he suffered Monday was a calf injury moreso than an ankle. But no less, people had been calling for this guy to sit out for a while and heal up for the past week or so. He's in the same boat as Mark Dixon. His injury just hasn't healed yet. He's still lacking explosion. And he says the pain is awful.

Then let all these guys rest, their Vets for heavens sake, we know what they can do..They're not trying to make the team...Bowens, Chester, Brent?, and Dixon will make this team,..it's time to heal and stop trying to prove something.

Hey muck,

I'll be interested to see where you stand with this if New Orleans ends up running against us like Tampa did....

Making excuses doesn't solve problems. If D. McAllister, along with the Saints 2nd and 3rd string backs average over 6 yrds a carry, I think it'll be safe to assume we have major problems at DT....

SIGN S. ADAMS!!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
Hey muck,

I'll be interested to see where you stand with this if New Orleans ends up running against us like Tampa did....

Making excuses doesn't solve problems. If D. McAllister, along with the Saints 2nd and 3rd string backs average over 6 yrds a carry, I think it'll be safe to assume we have major problems at DT....

SIGN S. ADAMS!!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!

Hes not making excuses. Did you read his post he had a link to? Chester needs to rest. Injuries are the last thing we need.

Well Muck...

Originally posted by Muck
Sorry dude. But you missed the boat on this one. Larry Chester wasn't dominated that night. Actually he did pretty well playing on a very bad ankle that ended up getting re-injured and knocking him out of the game.

And if you want to point to the big run by Pittman, read my post on the play.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&postid=62563#post62563

If Larry Chester gets healthy, we're going to be in great shape at DT.

... I remember you saying in the CHAT how Chester was being held during the game, and when I looked at the tape you were 100% right. They were mauling him, meaning holding him under his pads and dragging him to the ground. All I have to say is the REFS in that game should be fired. I know it's pre-season for them too, but this was an absolute JOKE what the Bucs OL was doing to Chester and Bowens.

Oliver...

Honestly I don't think we have enough to Sam Adams. The guy is stickin to his guns better than the Nammies. He wanst $5 million in guaranteed money THIS season, else he's just gonna take the season off and run his semi-pro football team in Seattle.

We'll see what happens against the Saints but I wouldn't be surprised if Chester and/or Bowens were held out.

Smith and Dixon can't be held out for now. They are veterans but no we don't know what they can do anymore due to injury questions and both of them are fighting for their roster spot. You don't let a guy in that kind of position sit and rest while his possible replacement gets work in and ends up replacing him without the vet gettin a chance to fight back.

That's easy...

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
Hey muck,

SIGN S. ADAMS!!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!

... it's pres-season and the Dolphins do not game plan. The only pre-season game they game plan for is the 3rd game against the Texans. Don't get me wrong, the DL is a question mark, you are just asking for answers at the wrong time IMO.

Oliver...

SSSSSHHHHHHUUUTTTTTTTT THE FHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK UUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPP PLEASE..Damn These Idiots!. For Christ Sakes It's Only The Pre-season. Some people in here sounds like they are young and just learning about football. I remember making some of those comments regarding pre-season back when I first started watching football..IT"S ONLY PRE-SEASON.

Back
Top Bottom