Lets Not Forget How Good Patrick Actually Is! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets Not Forget How Good Patrick Actually Is!

Ghetti13 said:
I must admit, I often get caught up in these types of frenzies in regards to trading a player and picking up the ever popular high draft pick, but, lets not forget how good Patrick actually is.

Since 1999:
Champ Bailey - 21 picks / 71 def. He will be 27 in a couple months.
Dre Bly - 24 picks / 57 def. He will be 28 in a couple months.
Chris McAlister - 15 picks / 71 def. He will be 28 in the summer.
Mike McKenzie - 20 picks / 62 def. He will be 29 shortly after the draft. (And was acquired for a 2nd round pick last year)
Patrick Surtain - 27 picks / 50 def. He will turn 29 in the summer.

In an off year where he uncharacteristically dropped a few picks, he still came away with four.

Here is my point. How often do we see a reciever running well, anywhere, with the ball when Patrick Surtain has the primary coverage? I see Sam chasing players. Reggie chasing players. But never Patrick. It is almost like he is not on the field. It seems that way for a reason.

He is a true shutdown corner.

There are not many of those in the NFL. Now, when you have one, you better realize such. Patrick is younger than Mike McKenzie (acquired for a 2nd) and statistically more productive than Champ Bailey (Acquired for the equivolent of a high first and second).

We have not known the anguish of having a bad secondary since the years of watching Calvin Jackson and company give recievers fifteen yard cushions on their way to the endzone. Its not a great situation.

I have no doubt that Saban will do what is best for the organization. However, I just think it is important for people to realize what we have and understand the grass is not always greener.

Hey, let's not forget how good Patrick is.
As far as the new rules to let offenses score more points, that's another reason we need to keep him. It seems to me these days the NFL is drifting more towards corners, and wide-outs.

Back
Top Bottom