Lets Not Forget How Good Patrick Actually Is! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets Not Forget How Good Patrick Actually Is!

Sean LaChapelle said:
those stats are nothing if he gets to play in the AFC West. Twice a year against Jake "I even throw ints with my left hand" Plummer willl put him in The Hall

Considering Warfield had the same amount of interceptions and one more pass defended even as weak as the other side of the field was last season for the Chiefs I would be inclined to agree with that.

Sean LaChapelle said:
those stats are nothing if he gets to play in the AFC West. Twice a year against Jake "I even throw ints with my left hand" Plummer willl put him in The Hall

:lol:

Canton, here we come!

Ghetti13 said:
You said...."That might just mean he is in a better position...." Exactly. He has an innate ability to know where to be and how to make plays.

However, the bottom line is apparently a difference of opinion. You think Surtain is simply and interchangeable part, where I think that he is a huge asset, and even more so when Saban institutes a defense that pressures the quarterback.

your right we do differ in opinions and we both are entitled to that.

But remeber when we played New england last year when Wanny got canned.
If I remember right we had a couple of guys on defense mainly Zach and someone else. Can't remember who at the moment . But we had pressure on Brady all night and we had 2nd stringers making plays for us. So yeah I do think he can be replaced. And noi I never said he was an interchangeable part. If he was still to be here that would be great. But with the cap situation. I think we can fill his shoes and still do great.

I wonder how many left handed interceptions Plummer would throw to Surtain next season if he signed with the Chiefs?:horsey:

Sarcastro said:
I wonder how many left handed interceptions Plummer would throw to Surtain next season if he signed with the Chiefs?:horsey:

Lets not forget Kerry Collins either who threw one INT less than the amount of TDs he threw for last season.

Pat is an excellent player, and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate what he did for this organization, and we'll miss him, and wish him the best. Parting ways with great players sucks. But he wants money that we can't afford to pay him so we must get what we can for him.

The reason we had second stringers making plays for us is that Patrick was so lock down, and he had Brady so frustrated that he started making poor decisions. However, Brady was smart enough to make those poor decisions in another direction than that of Patrick Surtain.

Actually, I have no idea how that game helps your point, but nonetheless, I felt I better respond in some fashion.

Am I mistaken or was Pat the only corner to have an INT last year. I don't think Sam, Will, or Reggie had any. Turo had 4, Sammy Knight had 3 or 4. JT, Ayendejo, I forget who else.

Ghetti13 said:
The reason we had second stringers making plays for us is that Patrick was so lock down, and he had Brady so frustrated that he started making poor decisions. However, Brady was smart enough to make those poor decisions in another direction than that of Patrick Surtain.

Actually, I have no idea how that game helps your point, but nonetheless, I felt I better respond in some fashion.

I was just more or less pointing out that if we get pressure on Qb's like we did in that game. Anybody can make a good play. And yes the corners did a great job that game.

Surtain is probably the best CB in Dolphin history

I've seen every one since the late '60s and that would be my assessment. Tremendous instincts and athletic arrogance, both essential in a CB.

I still think Madison's early years, maybe his 2nd and 3rd season, were at a level higher than Surtain has ever achieved. But Madison fell off noticeably while Surtain maintained and improved, with a possible exception last year. But I really don't count last season. It was Murphy's Law all the way so who cares?

Surtain is also more physical than Madison. Don McNeal before the injuries is the only other Dolphin CB I would place on their level. The glory year guys were extremely smart and took advantage of the more liberal rules, but nowhere near the athletic ability of Surtain, Madison or McNeal.

chiefshuddle said:
I gotta say, I don't think there is such thing as a "shutdown corner"

yes well, you wouldn't seen as your a KC fan!
:roflmao:

Hostile7 said:
He wants more money then we can afford. Miami can't give him another market value contract.

It's not about talent... How many times do you poeple need to be told?

They could easily fit him under the cap with a nice signing bonus and a 5-7 year contract. Strung out with minimum salary, and minimum increases thru the first three years, backloading much larger salaries for the last two. Divide the signing bonus by taking a slightly higher amount in the first three years.

It's a matter of will they, not can they....

How many times do you need to be told? :shakeno:

Awsi Dooger said:
I've seen every one since the late '60s and that would be my assessment. Tremendous instincts and athletic arrogance, both essential in a CB.

I still think Madison's early years, maybe his 2nd and 3rd season, were at a level higher than Surtain has ever achieved. But Madison fell off noticeably while Surtain maintained and improved, with a possible exception last year. But I really don't count last season. It was Murphy's Law all the way so who cares?

Surtain is also more physical than Madison. Don McNeal before the injuries is the only other Dolphin CB I would place on their level. The glory year guys were extremely smart and took advantage of the more liberal rules, but nowhere near the athletic ability of Surtain, Madison or McNeal.

I agree.Dont forget Troy Vincent who we drafted in the first round with the No 7 pick of the 92 draft.He is still a top notch CB.

Back
Top Bottom