Let's not forget what we really got in this years draft. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's not forget what we really got in this years draft.

Aqua

Practice Squad
Reaction score
1st Round- Vernon Carey RT
2nd Round- Wade Smith LT

Well Smith has a year as a starting left tackle under his belt playing in the NFL, not the NCAA, and he seems to have a very big upside and Carey looks like he'll be the starting right tackle replacing a very overrated and overpaid stiff in Todd Wade. Not to mention he's can also play either Guard spot if needed.

How many teams no matter where they pick are going to draft two starters, particularly at both tackles?

This team is close and it's obvious the OL needed a big overhaul. I give Spielman big props for dumping all the old stiffs that Wannstedt loved so much and rebuilding what could take us to the top.

I love people that complain about fourth round picks but don't mention about the real second round pick. Get a clue.

I agree, people need to look at the entire picture. Dont forget Jr., I think we gave Dan Diego our 5th this year. I would pull the trigger on that trade every day of the week.

I was just gonna start a thread aqua, kinda about the point you made.

LOOK AT OUR STARTING TACKLES.

Young, athletic, a ton of upside.

BTW, have to say it somewhere: I love the vernon carey pick. before the draft he was the fourth guy on my draft board. Andrews, Vilma and DJ Williams were all gone. I'm delighted to have drafted him. I don't give a **** about the r.4 pick, it don't matter.

Having read the press conference transcript, i'm delighted that vernon is a phin. He has a ton of upside and is a local boy.

It wasn't the sexy pick that some people may have wanted. But we got a guy thats gonna be a 10 year starter from day one, is a Cane. And combined with Wade Smith, gives the Dolphins potentially a great tackle tandem for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Bottom line we filled a need, we got better in the OL, period. We're doing great, our OL is young, they can only get better. I liked that Speilman traded down from the 3rd, now we get more picks.

It was good, in hindsight.

There were guys I wanted us to take at 87.

But it looks like they'll be there when we pick in the fourth.

I wanted Everage, Ware, Allen, Sam or Poole.

Only Ware went in the next 9 picks.

well it's nice to see that other dolfans put things into perspective.. i had said that carey would be one guy that would make me happy if miami drafted him.. it didn't matter that they traded up 1 spot to get him .. i realize that wade smith had to be included in this draft ... considering that he is the reason we were WITHOUT a 2nd round pick ... if carey would have come out last year he would have been a top 10 pick .. he was dominant at RT in 2002 ... his injuries held him back this season .. so he fell ... but when we traded a 4th rounder everyone on all the dolphin boards were up in arms ... NOT me !!! i knew carey wouldn't last past minny .. there were several teams that wanted him ... anyway i do agree wade smith and vernon carey gives miami the bookend tackles needed to make a push for the playoffs and beyond .. i just hope vernon reverts back to his playing ways in 2002.. and is finally healthy ... lets go fins!!!!

1. Vernon Carey
2. Wade Smith
3. NA
5. TBD
5a. Jr Seau
5b. TBD
6a. David Boston (Fletcher woould have been cut anyway)
6b. TBD
7. Hopefully...............Muck

Quite a draft so far...wouldn't you say.

Add in FA signings:
Starting QB
Starting LG
Starting Safety
2 OT's
Premier Nickel Back

The Fins will be much improved, and need to be in our division.

1. Vernon Carey
2. Wade Smith
3. NA
4. Will Poole
5a. Jr Seau
5b. TBD
6a. David Boston (Fletcher woould have been cut anyway)
6b. TBD
7. Hopefully...............Muck

Quite a draft so far...wouldn't you say.

Add in FA signings:
Starting QB
Starting LG
Starting Safety
2 OT's
Premier Nickel Back

See -- I thought perhaps you were talking Sage, which would be convoluted. There actually are some folks here who think Sage is starting quality, too. I didn't know whether you were one of them.

Back
Top Bottom