Letting Landry walk could be like losing Welker

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsgonewild, Jan 29, 2018.

1. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Julio not getting into the end zone, is more a byproduct of the Atlanta system. Once they drafted Ryan, and they had Roddy White in house, what did they do? HOF KC TE Tony Gonzalez was brought in to man the middle of the field.

Today's reality? ATLANTA is still a run/playaction team. With a HC from Seattle, who believes in running the ball and stopping the run.

Don't get it twisted. I'd trade Landry for Jones 365 times a year. Would you?

miamiron likes this.
  2. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Thing is, Landry's TD production is only good in the redzone... Landry's got 3 career TDs coming from outside the RZ...Julio Jones? 23

3. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

If Landry leaves, I see the Jets as his landing spot. Close to OBJ.

4. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

So we scored 16 passing tds and 7 rushing tds in 2006
    so by your 1/3 where Welker was key would only be around 7 or 8
    scoring plays where he made key contributions...Should I be excited about that?

5. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

and even on a leap year

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  6. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

He would be wise to consider Cleveland or at least listen to their pitch. They can outbid anyone. I think they will be in the mix for Kirk Cousins which also gives them the ability to maximize the value of their draft ARSENAL.

Cleveland could have Josh Gordon, Saquan Barkley, Jarvis Landry and David Njoku to go along with one of the NFL's better OL's......and still have the 4th overall pick and 4 2nd's.

Von Miller is recruiting hard for Cousins, probably because he has too, it's been assumed they just need a QB but I'd beg to differ. Denver has Von Miller and some CB's. Most of that roster is garbage and they don't have much return on their last 3 drafts.

Cousins is no Ryan Tannehill, but he'd have been a big upgrade for Jacksonville too. They made a mistake committing to Bortles for 2019. I don't mind.

rickd13, Jimi and Avigatorx like this.
  7. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Guess that settles it.Landry is a much more dangerous receiver than Julio.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  8. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

I am of the opinion that "the next Wes Welker" is currently entering the draft out of the University of Miami.

9. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Moderator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

[​IMG]

10. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan Finheaven VIP

The OP is right. You need to establish and PAY the faces of your franchise and Landry certainly is one of them if not THE ONE. The intangibles that he brings to the team in addition to the glue for hands are priceless. Does he have some growing up to do? Absolutely however I'd rather he grow up in a Dolphins uniform than another. Pay the man and cut the garbage to do it.

royalshank likes this.
  11. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

How much of his productivity are you going to dismiss?

12. royalshank

The latter is what Stills provides and Parker is supposed to provide.

13. royalshank

Yes but I’m merely pointing out that our best RZ threat is Landry. And we’ve been missing a RZ threat. I’m not suggesting he’s a better receiver than Julio. But Julio struggled in the RZ this year and it wasn’t due to lack of targets. Point is, replacing RZ production always looks easy on paper (Cameron, Thomas, Parker) but it doesn’t work like that. Some guys have a knack for finding space. Landry is one of those guys. Vs say Parker who can’t get open in the RZ to save his life.

14. Honeybager08

Honeybager08 Active Member

They have PAYED their faces of the franchise with Suh, Tannehill, Pouncey and Jones. The faces they have paid to this point has got them a middling team in the NFL. Why on earth would you want to over pay yet another face. You want to OVERSPEND on a slot receiver who they force feed the ball to every game? The reason they target him so much is because their offensive line sucks and will not be better if we sign your face of the franchise because we will no money to allocate to the oline. This team has so many holes and is cash strapped. The only way they get out of this **** show that Tbum has created is if they start to acquire more draft picks the next couple of years, draft well, and then by 2020 they will be in position with cap flexibility to put a team that is a championship contender on the field. I would much rather see a team that is a perennial playoff team than one that has been to the playoffs 3 times in the last 2 decades and overpays yet again for a FACE.

They have bad contracts up and down this team from Suh to McDonald (paying good money for yet another SS). The only contract that is reasonable is Tannehill's. Couple all these bad contracts with the fact that they have traded away picks to get the likes of Jordan, Carroo and Asiati. Then failing to trade down last year when 2 teams called for the Harris pick and you wonder why we have so many holes on this team with no hope in sight until 2020.

miamiron likes this.
  15. guerteltier

guerteltier Member

The Phins have little salary and much more needs to fill as to have around 14 Million to pay to Landry. He is still a slot receiver and you don´t pay that salary to a slot receiver - allthough he is a face of the franchise. In free agency, the Phins can sign Sammy Watkins for six or Michael Crabtree for 7 Million of projected salary. DeVante Parker or Crabtree are both able to fill the slot. Before paying 14 Million to Landry, better get Crabtree and Bowman to Miami - which would be the better option than re-signing Landry

16. DolfanDuBbZ~

Even so, but if you want a BIG red zone target for a consistent dynamic offense, you get a TE to do TE things.

Landry prior to this past year, avg how many TDs? He broke out in a contract year, with 160 targets.

miamiron likes this.
  17. ColoradoFin

ColoradoFin Well-Known Member

The big difference between Landry and Welker is one wants to be the highest paid receiver in the league, and the latter just wanted to get a better deal and more playing time. It’s a totally different situation, especially as our current team has many needs and is also trying to stay within the cap. At this point I don’t care if Landry stays or goes. It would hurt losing Landry, but it’s not like he is irreplaceable.

18. royalshank

Yes but what TE? We’ve been trying since Keith Jackson left.

19. phish

phish Well-Known Member

I’m all in on Dallas Goedert

20. aquaman54

aquaman54 Starter

Wish Ross and Tannenbaum would do something, and quit this soap opera already. Sign Him...Clean His locker out...SOMETHING!!! Just so sick of it. He's a Great "SLOT" Receiver....Not Julio Jones or Hopkins. Maybe not a Cancer exactly, but I think He's an undisciplined, heady Guy, that wears His emotions on His sleeve. ALOT like Beckham!!! I'D LOVE to keep Him too. Just not at that price tag....and keeps His emotions/mouth in check. If not...I don't care where He goes. Personally, I think 'Fins will eventually cave, and overpay. Certainly can't control, or have any say in what our incompetent FO does.
    Just my opinion of course. I'm just "1" Fin, that wants to get better, and start getting W's again.

21. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This isn't a sport that can rely on ONE guy to win continuously...It is a game where one player can be a difference maker but those players on offense are usually at KEY positions (QB, RB, #1 WR, TE)...not really slot....if you're running your offense through the slot you're probably picking up 1st downs but probably not scoring much.....

If my team had ALL the pieces necessary to compete for the Super Bowl .....I wouldn't pay a slot receiver but 8-10 million

If my team was mediocre and still needed play makers in order to compete for the playoffs (or a winning season)....I wouldn't pay a slot receiver but 8-10 million

To earn top dollars you need to be a game changer...however if you play a slot receiver role....you still only get slot receiver money.... Landry doesn't stretch the field or require double teams to defend....he will get you 8 yds on average but not a TD THREAT...not an open field runner that baffles tacklers...not a red zone THREAT....can't stretch the field to open up the run game....

But he does have passion....and he is a good receiver....just not a THREAT...

IMO

22. DolfanDuBbZ~

I think Randy McMichael was the last best athletic TE Miami has seen.

If this FO couldn't do what was right in past drafts concerning the position, I don't have much hope of them doing absolutely nothing different now.

royalshank likes this.
  23. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I guess you could say losing Landry would be like losing Welker:

A - Could be a good move for Landry's career.
    B - WIll result in some fans being upset, but some fans are going to be upset too if he stays and the cost of keeping him handcuffs the team going forward.
    C - The team as a whole was not noticable worse record wise after Welker left. They were 6-10 with Welker and while they dropped to a franchise low 1-15 the next season without Welker, they were 11-5 in the second post-Welker season.

24. finfanillinois

finfanillinois Member

Love me some Jarvis but he’s a slot guy it’s not to tuff finding another. Can’t tie up 14 million or so on a slot

miami365 likes this.
  25. pacresjt

pacresjt Well-Known Member

I love Landry but for the kind of money he wants it’s just unreasonable. I think back to Orande Gadson and think there’s a guy who caught a lot of short passes and first downs. Just look at Welker, Edleman, Amondola, Hogan, McCoy Etc slot guys run short routes and move the chains, can’t pay 15 Mil for 7 yards a catch. We need to spend that money on a True 1 not a slot. And while we are at it sianara to Suh, save 20 mill next year Post June 1.

26. Turin

Turin Active Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="it"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Direct fire! <a href="https://t.co/NAdvMsKZdD">pic.twitter.com/NAdvMsKZdD</a></p>&mdash; Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly) <a href="">5 febbraio 2018</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

not looking good with that like

27. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

I look for his numbers to go down some if he leaves. If he goes to Cleveland or Chicago they will go down because they will rely on him as much as we do, but they are just worse teams. If he goes to a competitive team his numbers will go down because they will not rely on him for offense nearly as much. Landry is pretty much producing to the maximum of his potential right now.

28. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Not sure why this is in this thread.

29. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I am fairly certain that no team better than ours, will pay Jarvis Landry more money than we would.

rickd13 likes this.
  30. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

If they don't plan on keeping him they should tag and trade him at least

31. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan Finheaven VIP

Well today's ESPN.com is convinced that he is a goner. What a disenfranchised franchise is it proves out to be true.

32. pacresjt

pacresjt Well-Known Member

For the Money he wants let him walk. We can pick up 3 solid starters with that money and develop grant and one of the other 4 prospects we have or draft a slot guy. For that matter dump Suhs 20 mill post June 1 cut and grab 4 more starters. Love Suh but out D has been pathetic with him here and his contract is a stranglehold on the franchise. We have to stop paying big money and settling for 30+ year old plug ins.

33. miami365

miami365 Rookie

Welker, Bess, Landry, what is with dolfans love affair with slot receivers? Would much rather a Charles Clay type tightend and solid OL than run a third of the offense through the slot. Heck Tannehill made Brandon Gibson/Rishard Matthews look good so either Grant, Caroo or a rookie should suffice.

rickd13 likes this.
  34. Batroc

Batroc The Anti-Fistpumper

LOLLLLLL. If you can't see that Landry is infinitely more talented than Hartline and/or Bess then....I just can't lol :rolleyes:

35. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

I want to see Landry with the Jets just for the media circus that would ensue and the subsequent meltdown.

36. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Just thought I'd throw out perspective from another team's media.

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2018/02/11/bears-shouldnt-sign-jarvis-landry/

"The above shows Landry as well below the average NFL receiver when targeted. The more you throw Landry the ball, the more yardage the offense is leaving on the field. In the games where Landry has more than eight targets, the Dolphins are 11- 24. When they don’t make a concerted effort to force him the ball on ineffective short passing plays, the team is 19-10 in those games.

The folks at Football Outsiders also don’t appear to be huge proponents of Landry’s receiving value as he has never scored better than 45th among receivers in Defense-adjusted Value Over Average (DVOA). Landry has finished with a negative DVOA in three of his four seasons, despite the high volume of receptions and targets."

Black and white, plain and simple... When we focus heavily on him our record suffers.

rickd13 likes this.
  37. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

With regards to Laundry: Sometimes the best you've got is not always good enough to do what you need to get done. This includes breadth of capability and personal discipline.