Levi Brown Disapoints/Combine Buzz | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Levi Brown Disapoints/Combine Buzz

Oh and you can bet the Giants are hoping and praying he falls to them.

If the "experts" are so good at their assessments, then why aren't they employed by NFL teams as talent scouts or GMs? They will nitpick every player just to "prove" they are smart. I wouldn't put a nickle on any of them in a bet! Peter King is a prime example, look at his projected drafts and assessments of the past three drafts and you'll see that he's been wrong a hell of a lot more times than right, and HE's the premiere draft guru? My dog made better picks than he did last year!

I'm sure our scouts will make a smart move based upon other determining factors than the 40 time. I do think that this hurt his stock beyond us drafting him though, because I believe he was a marginal number 9 pick from the get-go anyways.

It's amazing how many of these posts hinge on one fact people have read about someone. As if perfection is the only thing that will suffice.

No draft pick is perfect. Can anyone recall how every expert drooled over Robert Gallery being one of the best OT prospects to ever come out. Where's he at now?

Many of you are simply looking for the first reason to not draft someone. It's simply not a good way of evaluating a situation. We need to find the right LT for US.

And quite honestly, I hear things I like about Brown more than Thomas. His physical size, strength and measurables impress me. You can't teach size. And, if he's decently quick for his size, even better.

When was the last time you saw a LT running 40 yards down field?

But, how many times do you see a LT working in the 7 yard space between him and the QB? That's what matters: quickness in tight spaces. Just like a shuttle drill.

Here is something else to consider. People would be satisfied with Macintosh at LT, but the dude is fatter and probably just as slow or slower in the forty than Brown, yet Brown is a risk at LT? People need to start being a little bit more objective and realize that LT is a very important position. We will lose Mac and then what? The whole problem starts all over again.

Levi Brown would be our LT for years to come. He can play the position. Laron Landry is a better pick than Borwn at 9, but then we set ourselves back a long time unless we find a LT which is hard to find in this league. We can get Merriweather practically and there are some good S prospects in this draft. The LT position carries a bigger price tag which means is a very vital position, and for fin fans to suggest it is not means they know nothing about football in the NFL.

Not to sound stupid but shouldnt you be more concerned with shorter bursts of speed from a lineman not the 40 times? I mean its a rare guy that can fly under 5 secs in the 40 at like 350. Does the guy have a slow first step?
I agree. When it comes to OL, it would be great to have someone doing the time Thomas made in the COmbine, but I doubt that Brown's time will make him drop in draft stock. He is an incredible player. If Quinn does not come to Miami, Brown would be the second best choice.

I like most people feel that a 40 yard dash should not be the end all
of the determing factor on offensive lineman.Scouts that are using it rather than 4 years of game film should not be scouts.

Sounds to me like the mind games are begining
I agree totally.... picking at 5.1 vs. 5.3 40yd dash is getting to be too much. But seems to happen every year.
Like Dick Vermeil said on NFL network, he'd rather have a LB who ran 4.8 with great football instincts than a LB who ran 4.5 who was just a good player.

I'd rather take Doug Free in the 3rd. Why take such a risk with the ninth pick???? This how we end up with huge disappointments. There are several choices at 9 that are as sure as it gets with players. As long as they don't ride motorcycles. Besides we should try to trade down. We need extra picks, especially in the 2nd and 3rd round. There is great talent to be had in those two rounds. I wouldn't mind seeing us trading way down in the first to get more picks.

I keep reading that his stock is raising, 5.39 or not he would be great for us at #9. He reminds me of Webb.

Here is something else to consider. People would be satisfied with Macintosh at LT, but the dude is fatter and probably just as slow or slower in the forty than Brown, yet Brown is a risk at LT? People need to start being a little bit more objective and realize that LT is a very important position. We will lose Mac and then what? The whole problem starts all over again.

Levi Brown would be our LT for years to come. He can play the position. Laron Landry is a better pick than Borwn at 9, but then we set ourselves back a long time unless we find a LT which is hard to find in this league. We can get Merriweather practically and there are some good S prospects in this draft. The LT position carries a bigger price tag which means is a very vital position, and for fin fans to suggest it is not means they know nothing about football in the NFL.

The point is, you don't reach with the 9th pick in draft for a left tackle that is not special, especially if your are passing on special players to do so.

That is what loser organizations do, the point is this draft is shaping where there will be special players at positions that will impact this football team.

The very fact that DMac (an average LT) is in place, makes drafting another one with the 9th pick not a neccessity.

We can easily take one in the second or third round if depth is the question.

If Levi Brown Graded out as special, I'd be all for this pick, since he his not, I am not for bypassing impact players to reach.

I keep reading that his stock is raising, 5.39 or not he would be great for us at #9. He reminds me of Webb.

Actually he's not like Webb at all, he's not built like him, he was a better pass blocker than run blocker, Levi is a better run blocker than pass blocker.

Webb was a legit 9th pick in the draft, Levi is not, not in this particular draft.

Dont be combine idiots ya'll. Granted, a forty time could raise some concerns. But for a LT, you have to be critical in the right direction. Its not about how fast you are as a LT.

First off, Joe Thomas is a leaner 310 (also taller). Brown is 330+ lbs. Does anyone ever stop to think about that? No they dont, because they are not looking at it realistically.

Bottom line. You should question Levi's heart, which is what was questioned before. Mayock said he passes the LT eyeball test, but wonders if he will be great on every play. Very fair assessment. You could translate this forty time into did he show enough heart to at least try to run as best a time as he could? That is more realistic of an assessment. If anyone in their right mind thinks that running a 5.39 forty will make Levi Brown less of a football player, better start to rethink how you draft players. Look at the tape of his games and who he went up against and how he did through the whole process. Not some forty time that is now under this microscope of the whole world.

I don't care about his weight, I care about whether he has the athleticism to pass block the Dwight Freeneys, Jason Taylors etc etc.......

Being a huge left tackle is no longer the ideal, the aformentioned pass rushers will simply run right around them.

The future of the position is perhaps smaller more athletic left tackles.

The point is, you don't reach with the 9th pick in draft for a left tackle that is not special, especially if your are passing on special players to do so.

That is what loser organizations do, the point is this draft is shaping where there will be special players at positions that will impact this football team.

The very fact that DMac (an average LT) is in place, makes drafting another one with the 9th pick not a neccessity.

If Levi Brown Graded out as special, I'd be all for this pick, since he his not, I am not for bypassing impact players to reach.
I think DMac is about to hit free agency.

And also, why is a guy who looks good in everything but the 40 yard dash not special? if you base your draft pick on someone who ran a fast 40 yard dash, in a position that will probably never ever require him to run a 40, well then you'll fall into the workout warrior trap.

So...........we just go pay major ducks for other average LT's when we could have a good LT who is young who would be at the position for a long time.

Brilliant!

This talk of Brown's stock dropping is poppy ****.

I don't care about his weight, I care about whether he has the athleticism to pass block the Dwight Freeneys, Jason Taylors etc etc.......

Being a huge left tackle is no longer the ideal, the aformentioned pass rushers will simply run right around them.

The future of the position is perhaps smaller more athletic left tackles.

yoiu just made that up didnt ya?:sidelol:

Hey guys, Bluefin says stay away from Leonard Davis in FA. He is not the prototypical LT.

Back
Top Bottom