Levi Brown Disapoints/Combine Buzz | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Levi Brown Disapoints/Combine Buzz

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/combine/buzz.html

Top Offensive Linemen Run
• Unlike some of the other top prospects Wisconsin OT Joe Thomas, a sure-fire Top 5 pick, opted to workout at the Combine and he certainly didn't do anything to hurt his standing. In fact, Thomas blazed an unofficial 4.96 which is outstanding for an offensive lineman. Arkansas OT Tony Ugoh also impressed with his 4.99 clocking. On the flip-side Penn St. OT Levi Brown, who looked like he had moved into the Top 10 overall, ran a very disappointing 5.39 and if true that will really hurt his stock and maybe even drop him outside of the Top 15-20.

Hmm, starting to look like we won't be picking an O-Lineman in the first.

Not to sound stupid but shouldnt you be more concerned with shorter bursts of speed from a lineman not the 40 times? I mean its a rare guy that can fly under 5 secs in the 40 at like 350. Does the guy have a slow first step?

Not to sound stupid but shouldnt you be more concerned with shorter bursts of speed from a lineman not the 40 times? I mean its a rare guy that can fly under 5 secs in the 40 at like 350. Does the guy have a slow first step?

No he doesn't. Think how easy it would be to improve a slow 40 time like that also, you get out of the blocks quicker, or better lean at the end, and you're down to a 5.2. I bet his 10 yard splits are about in line with everyone else.

The question is really about athletic ability, the ninth pick is supposed to be a special pick, not an average player.

Would we pass on special players with special ability to take a left tackle with below average or even average athleticism or weaknesses in his overall athletic ability?

Would you really pass on Laron Landry, Gaines Adams, Amobi Okoye or Brady Quinn to draft a left tackle who runs a 5.39 forty?

I wouldn't, he may end up being a decent player, with the ninth pick your looking for special.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/combine/buzz.html

Hmm, starting to look like we won't be picking an O-Lineman in the first.

Honestly, he's an offensive tackle. He's not going to have to run fast over that distance, I don't think a 40 time for him is that important. It's not like a Defensive end who may be asked to drop back into coverage on a zone blitz or something. Unless he's ridiculously slow for the position, which he isn't, I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal for him. Personally, I'd still be thrilled to get him at 9...

well, it must matter. or experts wouldn't be stating that "this could cause him to drop". if the 40 speed doesnt matter for a "LT", then it wouldnt have been considered "disappointing combine results".

remember, this is "LT" we are talking about. a "RT" defends against the slower and bigger "DE"s. But the "LT" is needed to be fast because he is dealing with the rushing "OLB/DE".

So it sounds as if the 40 speed did matter to draft scouts. at least by the sounds of the comments on his combine results.

From what I read also, Brown looked really good in all the individual linemen drills. I don't have a link though, since I think I saw it posted on this board.

I like most people feel that a 40 yard dash should not be the end all
of the determing factor on offensive lineman.Scouts that are using it rather than 4 years of game film should not be scouts.

Sounds to me like the mind games are begining

well, it must matter. or experts wouldn't be stating that "this could cause him to drop". if the 40 speed doesnt matter for a "LT", then it wouldnt have been considered "disappointing combine results".

remember, this is "LT" we are talking about. a "RT" defends against the slower and bigger "DE"s. But the "LT" is needed to be fast because he is dealing with the rushing "OLB/DE".

So it sounds as if the 40 speed did matter to draft scouts. at least by the sounds of the comments on his combine results.

I agree with you. If they take him @ 9 it would be the classic "need-reach" pick, but I would be excited anyway and rationalize, like others, that his 40 time didn't matter. If we drafted defense (i.e best player available) I would be disappointed because our offense sucks so bad! Human nature.

Would you really pass on Laron Landry, Gaines Adams, Amobi Okoye or Brady Quinn to draft a left tackle who runs a 5.39 forty?

I wouldn't, he may end up being a decent player, with the ninth pick your looking for special.

Well I can agree with that, Ive been of the understanding that 9 was a reach for him before this so its not shocking that a slow 40 time might drop him even more. I dont want us to reach for anyone at 9, theres no need to. I just really dont see how a guys 40 time is really a indication of whether or not he has the ability to pancake someone. Hes not running with the DEs in a 40 yard dash on the football field.

Dont be combine idiots ya'll. Granted, a forty time could raise some concerns. But for a LT, you have to be critical in the right direction. Its not about how fast you are as a LT.

First off, Joe Thomas is a leaner 310 (also taller). Brown is 330+ lbs. Does anyone ever stop to think about that? No they dont, because they are not looking at it realistically.

Bottom line. You should question Levi's heart, which is what was questioned before. Mayock said he passes the LT eyeball test, but wonders if he will be great on every play. Very fair assessment. You could translate this forty time into did he show enough heart to at least try to run as best a time as he could? That is more realistic of an assessment. If anyone in their right mind thinks that running a 5.39 forty will make Levi Brown less of a football player, better start to rethink how you draft players. Look at the tape of his games and who he went up against and how he did through the whole process. Not some forty time that is now under this microscope of the whole world.

I agree with you. If they take him @ 9 it would be the classic "need-reach" pick, but I would be excited anyway and rationalize, like others, that his 40 time didn't matter. If we drafted defense (i.e best player available) I would be disappointed because our offense sucks so bad! Human nature.

If you think everyone(GMs, Scouts, etc...) that does an interview at the combine is 100% truthful, your fooling yourself. This is the primetime for the rumors/smokescreens/smearing to begin. This "expert" that made these statements could very well be picking in the teens and want him to slide.

From what I read also, Brown looked really good in all the individual linemen drills. I don't have a link though, since I think I saw it posted on this board.

All yo need to know is that Brown is a leader and has good character and when he locks onto someone it is over. The other is that he can pancake people especially when blocking down the inside. You can bet Levi Brown will open huge holes. The only knock I see in Brown is does he have a full time heart? He needs to be for speed rushers, but in the NFL game, this can be done through the use of a FB/RB who can help block and a TE. I still think Brown is worth a #9 pick, but others are more attractive at that spot like Landry and some DT/DE's. Not to mention a certain QB we have our eye on.

Back
Top Bottom