Levon Kirkland | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Levon Kirkland

scotgif

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Not that I think it will really happen, but wouldn't it be nice to see us pick this guy up? What an addition to an already stout defensive unit. He would be yet one more piece to the SB Trophy run that this team appears to be poised to make.

I would imagine that he makes a pretty good penny, so it probably wouldn't work out cap-wise, but imagine a defensive unit that could boast a front 7 that included the likes of: Zach, JT, Tim-Bo, DG, Rob Burnett, Larry Chester, AND Levon Kirkland, among others.

Can you say the missing piece?

Is it REALLY that far-fetched?

Last edited by a moderator:
I;m still trying to figure out why Seattle let him go..When I saw it on the news I couldn't believe it..there's got to be more to it.

CAPTAIN KIRK!!!

I am salivating at this realease but I am not holding my breath on the PHINS to make a move!!! KIRKLAND is as good as they come as a true INSIDE /MIDDLE LB!!! That's the downside, he only plays inside and I don't see him coming here as a backup!! He would be such a great insurance policy for ZACH, God forbid an injury would occur! What I like about Kirkland he is a true run stuffer and is tough against the pass, the way he locks on to TE's!!!Plus he will demand a nice salary from a plethora of teams that will be asking for his services!!

I saw this on ESPN and I started to drool. I think Miami needs another solid LB so bad. Greenwood might turn out to be a good LB once he gets the bennifit of a full camp, but right now I think our LB core could be more stout. We have no depth, and Greenwood or Rodgers has yet to prove the are big time players.

I don't know. I think Derrick Rodgers is one of those guys who does a lot of good things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Not a superstar. But better than most people give him credit for.

He may come cheaper than some might think. He knows that training camp is 3 weeks away and that most teams don't have any thing to give him. He could go to a team that isn't very good to get some big money, but he may decide to play for the vet min to be on a competitor. I still doubt he will be a MD, but it is something to think about.

I agree with Muck about Derrick Rodgers. He is better and plays better than most people think.

I don't think he is a bad OLB, but I think it is mainly because many thought he would blossom in to a superstar that he takes slack.

Not that I am a proponent of switching player's positions, especially this late in the pre-season, but could Zach make a change from inside to outside?

Would he be capable of playing that spot? I think, definitely yes!
Nowadays, the outside guys are smaller and much quicker than the middle guys anyway. That's Zach's game. Quickness and speed.

You would even get an upgrade of sorts if Kirkland were to be brought in to play the middle. You wouldn't have to constantly worry about "protecting" Zach from the guards and centers. Kirkland is one tough SOB that thrives on blowing blockers up.
And this is not meant to be a knock on Zach at all. Just a different way to utilize his talents, maybe even better than it is being done now. You could even get more plays out of the DT's as far as actually making plays on the ball, instead of always trying to "tie up" blockers and keep them off Zach.

Again, it is just probably a pipe dream, but it is nice to think about the possibilities. I think if given the oppourtunity to do so, Zach could probably be a very effective pass rusher from that outside spot. Imagine Zach on one side and JT on the other going after the QB on a frequent basis.

Bring this guy in Wann/Spiel! Let some dead-weight go (Todd Perry, Shawn Wooden, etc.) to free up some $$$ to get this guy.

kirkland

Kirkland is not a good fit for this team.

No way we can move Zach outside. He is the leader of our defense. Kirkland will not even be on our radar.

I don't think much of Rodgers. I support him b/c he's on my team, but think his time to shine is over. VERY average. Doesn't excell at pass rushing, run stuffing, and only a decent cover guy. OK at everything. I would like to see a monster over there helping Zach, especially considering that Morlon is also undersized.

Doug Hastings (from Dolfantalk) says........

"The rumour is he (Kirkland) is ridiculously out of shape and I don't doubt it all. Last year he looked like an offensive lineman and was probably playing close to 300 pounds when his ideal playing weight is probably 260-270. If he has packed on anymore weight then he's practically useless...which is probably why he got cut. "

Originally posted by Dr. Love
I don't think much of Rodgers. I support him b/c he's on my team, but think his time to shine is over. VERY average. Doesn't excell at pass rushing, run stuffing, and only a decent cover guy. OK at everything. I would like to see a monster over there helping Zach, especially considering that Morlon is also undersized.

The LB's in the D aren't geared to stopping the run. It's all geared towards stuffing the middle and funneling everything else to Zack. Rodgers job is usually to cover the TE. This is why Zach gets so beaten by the end of the season. The D revolves around pushing everything towards him and shutting down the pass.

RIGHT!!!

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

The LB's in the D aren't geared to stopping the run. It's all geared towards stuffing the middle and funneling everything else to Zack. Rodgers job is usually to cover the TE. This is why Zach gets so beaten by the end of the season. The D revolves around pushing everything towards him and shutting down the pass.

Yes, but they still have to tackle!!! RODGERS is always out of place and rarely makes a huge play!!! He does more dancing and hollering than anyone that is riding everyones coattails on the D!!! I think he needs to be pushed for his job!! Is GALYON good enough to push him or even win the starting job?? I HOPE SO!! I saw alot of potential in him at the end of the year!! In those games he made more tackles and was always where the ball was unlike RODGERS who gets tied up way too easy with blockers!!

Back
Top Bottom