LG and RT the same guy? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

LG and RT the same guy?

Jssanto

Club Member
Reaction score
I just read an article that predicted Wynn would be either the starting LG or RT depending on how well (or poorly) AJ and Eich play.
I remember one of our OL guys from a few years ago talking about how difficult (with a rather graphic analogy) it was to swith from the left side to the right.
In the above scenario it is not only left to right but guard to tackle.
What are the needed skill sets to accomplish that? Is it reasonable to expect someone to do that?

I believe it was Josh Sitton that said it so elegantly, "It's like wiping your butt with your non dominant hand," or something to that effect. He immediately got injured if I remember correctly.

I'd imagine it would be a learning curve after spending your entire career on one side, but it's early in the offseason and he'll likely get a ton of reps.

I just read an article that predicted Wynn would be either the starting LG or RT depending on how well (or poorly) AJ and Eich play.
I remember one of our OL guys from a few years ago talking about how difficult (with a rather graphic analogy) it was to swith from the left side to the right.
In the above scenario it is not only left to right but guard to tackle.
What are the needed skill sets to accomplish that? Is it reasonable to expect someone to do that?

Wynn was a very highly rated LG at Georgia. He was transitioned to LT, and then to RT with the Pats, and the RT move did not go well. He also has developed a bit of an injury history. I will also throw another thing out there - the Pats OL hasn't been quite the monster it was when Dante Scarnecchia was coaching.

I would like to give Wynn the first shot at LG...but that's just me.

I believe it was Josh Sitton that said it so elegantly, "It's like wiping your butt with your non dominant hand," or something to that effect. He immediately got injured if I remember correctly.

I'd imagine it would be a learning curve after spending your entire career on one side, but it's early in the offseason and he'll likely get a ton of reps.
That was the quote. Thanks.

Hopefully not too steep of a curve and ultimately successful.

At 6’2” he would tie as the shortest OT in the league. He played as Tom Brady’s blindside protector, so he’s no slouch, but that was three seasons and seven injuries ago.

To my untrained eye, he’s a wild card: a LG with Swing Tackle flexibility.

I’d like to see him compete with Eich at left guard

I think Jackson wins the right

I wouldn’t expect it to be much of a competition. Wynn struggled playing RT but they are a very good lineman on the left side. They’re probably an even better guard on the left side. If they give up on him playing right tackle, he will be out starting LG. Nothing against Eich, Wynn can be a perennial pro bowler there IMO.

While most of us wanted more talent on the offensive line, at least Miami has veteran competition. Players who have performed at an NFL level.

Would love to see them put Wynn at Left guard. Let him get Comfortable on the Left side so in the Event that Armstead gets hurt Wynn is already set to kick out to left Tackle and Eichenberg or Jones comes in to Left Guard. Let guys settle in to Left and Right sides.

Would love to see them put Wynn at Left guard. Let him get Comfortable on the Left side so in the Event that Armstead gets hurt Wynn is already set to kick out to left Tackle and Eichenberg or Jones comes in to Left Guard. Let guys settle in to Left and Right sides.
Regarding your “settling in” thoughts.
It seems to me you should be correct. If I have reps at the same spot and with the same guys on each of my sides, that would be a big experience/consistency plus.
It seems we always hear the importance of “reps”.
However, when we were resting Pouncey through the week and just using him for games, it was supposed to be fine.
I think best is “sameness”. Become ingrained automatic memory.
So where does cross training, versatility, and the backup several positions thinking enter?

Back
Top Bottom