Likely Early Entries | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Likely Early Entries

ckparrothead said:
No, I take Cutler because among the players left on the board that I discussed, the only ones that tempt me away from Cutler are Demeco Ryans and maybe Rod Wright (though there's questions about whether or not he fits our D).

This isn't about taking a QB in Round 1 or not taking a QB in Round 1. You should stop making it about that. It's about taking the best player that fits in with the team and as Saban puts it, has the most long term value to the organization. If Cutler and Young aren't there when we pick, we're not going to reach and pick up one of the other guys like Pinegar, Hackney, etc just because we want to take a QB in Round 1.

CK..I totally agree...as I've staed many times...Saban and Mueller aren't going to throw away the future for one player....especially a QB. If a "special" player fall to them....thats one thing...but they won't spend the farm...or in this case...the future of the team.

KB21 said:
Just looking at who the Dolphins have brought in via trade (Cleo Lemon) and who they have brought in for workouts (Casey Printers), it definitely looks like mobility is going to be an aspect the Dolphins look for in their quarterback. Now, I don't think mobility will ever outrank passing ability on their list, but it seems like their ideal quarterback may be one that brings the mobility aspect to the field. Young brings that, but I don't think he brings the type of passing ability the team needs.

Probably the best package of passing skills and mobility is Jay Cutler. I can see Miami, in a weak draft for quarterbacks, taking a corner and seeing what they can do with a developmental project in the mid rounds at the quarterback position. If they can find a Charlie Frye type, I think they would take him in the third to fourth round area.

If I had to rank the attributes Keith, I would put them thus:

#1. Armstrength
#2a. Mobility
#2b. Size (durability)
#4a. Decision-making
#4b. Accuracy

That is how I'd set it up. Throughout everything armstrength seems to be a chief controlling factor in their decision-making at the position. From there, Linehan (not necessarily Saban) has shown a preference for size and mobility, but I honestly can't pick one from the other with any kind of conviction. Linehan seems to like them both but will sacrifice one of the other. Decision-making and accuracy are the other pair that are interchangeable to Linehan. The way his offense is set up, he can make your decisions for you basically (look what's happening to Daunte now, he has to make the decisions now and he implodes). At the same time, Linehan has always shown that accuracy, while always looked for in a QB, in relative terms can be made a little irrelevant by a deep cannon and mobility.

The problem when people start arguing these kinds of rankings is everyone's like "oh but accuracy is the most important because if he can't hit the broad side of a barn..." etc. Think of the rankings a weightings in a mathematical equation. If you weight a score of 1 through 10 for all the attributes, weight armstrength with a 30% weighting, mobility with 20%, size with 20%, decision-making with 15%, and accuracy with a 15% weighting, a guy with an 8 for armstrength and a 3 for accuracy will end up rated the same as a guy with 9 for accuracy and 5 for armstrength...all other things being equal.

But, if I had to weight it, that's where I'd put things...30% armstrength, 20% mobility, 20% size, 15% decision-making, 15% accuracy.

ckparrothead said:
Wow Boom, Croyle and Whitehurst strike me as high on that list of top 5 you have. To me, Whitehurst strikes me as a heartbreaker. Croyle could be a heart breaker too. He looks like a pro, but gets injured a lot. Someone is going to be happy with him and subsequently very unhappy with him...I think. Were you not including Young on that list because you think he'll stay in school? Or do you really rate him below Croyle, Whitehurst, and Hackney?

I had Drew Olson starting to climb up my own boards but then he laid a stinker on the national stage against USC...and that pretty much is a career habit that you want to stay away from at this point IMO...because that is definitely his MO, lay the stinker just when it matters most. Pinegar really turned me off in that La Tech game. It was like in the span of a day or two, two of my top guys just took a nose dive. I guess that leaves Hackney, Croyle...maybe Shockley, his leadership and effect on the team really impress me, and as Keith has pointed out before he's shown some real signs of not being the run-first kind of guy that he might initially seem like.

You know mate, it's like pinning the tail on the donkey after Leinart and Cutler. I am a bit of a Croyle homer - really like the kid. I just think Whitehurst has potentially everything and I just can't believe he can be that pants with all that skill. I know Keith likes DJ.......I just want to see him start more than 9 career games. But I do agree with him that he seems to be rising and with you in that he has done well to hone his run-first mentality.

Your right, until the Senior Bowl and Combine we really aren't going to get a very clear picture of the guys behind Cutler and Leinart. Were you excluding Young from your top 5 due to staying in school or is he just not in your top 5?

I was just working on who was definitely in. I think Young will be in and then I'd have to look at whether he's 2 or 3.

Where'd you put him?

Ozzy said:
It was a fact that Hester was having trouble with the system. He is not stupid by any means. He's just a very slow learner, and most of all, he was very stubborn with change. He also was having a terrible time catching the ball.

Also I think Hester requested to try defense, and Coker went with it. That was indeed a big mistake. They should have used him primarily at Rb.

There was someone here who knew Hester personally and said the same thing, that he was smart enough. I'm really rooting for him to make it. He makes so many phenomenal plays, like against FSU in the 2004 opener when he blocked a FG in the middle of the 4th quarter that would have put the game away for FSU. Miami was already trailing 10-3 and no way they were scoring twice with Brock Berlin at QB. Keeping the game 10-3 allowed for the one drive that tied the game and Frank Gore won it in OT.

I'm hoping Coker moves Hester to RB. I hate to compare anyone to Reggie Bush but Hester could have that type of explosiveness and versatility, some plays at HB and others in the slot or outside at WR. His first game as a freshman Hester was used at RB and looked breathtaking after adjusting to a swing pass, catching it effortlessly, then streaking down the sideline. As a Canes fan for 30+ years I'm used to awesome athletes but that play opened my mouth in disbelief and not just for a few seconds.

Miami has a very crowded backfield next season with Tyrone Moss coming back off injury, plus Charlie Jones and Derron Thomas, who are playing now. Then you've got the excellent talent of Andrew Johnson, who hurt his knee late last season but has shown signs of being the best of the group when healthy. So it would be quite a move for Coker to stick Hester in that mix, unless he doesn't think Moss will be ready next year, certainly a possibility.

Devin Hester may have moves like Desmond Howard, but Hester is MUCH bigger, in the 5-11, 190 range.

I see Hester more as a WR who sometimes lines up at RB than the other way around. I don't think he's got the build to be an every down back, especially at the next level.

MiamiMan147 said:
I see Hester more as a WR who sometimes lines up at RB than the other way around. I don't think he's got the build to be an every down back, especially at the next level.
he's got pretty much the same build as reggie bush

Hey Boomer what about Drew Stanton you think he stays of comes out for NFL

ckparrothead said:
If I had to rank the attributes Keith, I would put them thus:

#1. Armstrength
#2a. Mobility
#2b. Size (durability)
#4a. Decision-making
#4b. Accuracy

That is how I'd set it up. Throughout everything armstrength seems to be a chief controlling factor in their decision-making at the position. From there, Linehan (not necessarily Saban) has shown a preference for size and mobility, but I honestly can't pick one from the other with any kind of conviction. Linehan seems to like them both but will sacrifice one of the other. Decision-making and accuracy are the other pair that are interchangeable to Linehan. The way his offense is set up, he can make your decisions for you basically (look what's happening to Daunte now, he has to make the decisions now and he implodes). At the same time, Linehan has always shown that accuracy, while always looked for in a QB, in relative terms can be made a little irrelevant by a deep cannon and mobility.

The problem when people start arguing these kinds of rankings is everyone's like "oh but accuracy is the most important because if he can't hit the broad side of a barn..." etc. Think of the rankings a weightings in a mathematical equation. If you weight a score of 1 through 10 for all the attributes, weight armstrength with a 30% weighting, mobility with 20%, size with 20%, decision-making with 15%, and accuracy with a 15% weighting, a guy with an 8 for armstrength and a 3 for accuracy will end up rated the same as a guy with 9 for accuracy and 5 for armstrength...all other things being equal.

But, if I had to weight it, that's where I'd put things...30% armstrength, 20% mobility, 20% size, 15% decision-making, 15% accuracy.

CK....I believe this is a far better way to judge a QB;

1- Accuracy

2- Decision making

3- arm strength

4- Mobility

5- Size

Accuracy is far important than any other factor....take a player like Favre, if he wasn't accurate with his passes....all he'd be is a large QB that knows when to throw the football and to whom, with great arm strength...but couldn't hit he target. There's plenty of QB's that have strong arms....plenty that were of a large nature...plenty that could make the right decisions..plenty that were mobile....but the ones that succeed are the ones that can throw and hit the receivers. Steve Young...wasn't a large QB...didn't have a real strong arm...but he was a mobile and very accurate and could hit the target after he made his decisions. One could say the same about Brady...while you wouldn't call him mobile...and you wouldn't say he has a rocket for an arm....he's deadly accurate after he makes his decision where to throw. I've heard Jaws say time after time...accuracy and decision making are the two most important items in a QB....thru the years he's not the only one to say that...it's a very popular concept.

he's got pretty much the same build as reggie bush

Hester is 15 lbs lighter, and Bush is already a tad light for an NFL back. I don't see Bush being a workhorse back in the NFL, which may be the biggest knock on him.

MiamiMan147 said:
Hester is 15 lbs lighter, and Bush is already a tad light for an NFL back. I don't see Bush being a workhorse back in the NFL, which may be the biggest knock on him.
yeah, but if bush can play that role in USC's offense (sharing the ball as well as returning kicks/punts and lining up as receiver every once in a while), then hester should be able to do the same thing. he should put on some weight, and he can share the ball with tyrone moss

i'm listening to some guy on fox sports radio saying bush is overrated and all that. surprising, i never heard someone affiliated with the media say a single negative word about him

kastofsna120 said:
surprising, i never heard someone affiliated with the media say a single negative word about him

They make up for it with his bro George.

Back
Top Bottom