Linebacker Prospects likely to be drafted in the 1st round | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Linebacker Prospects likely to be drafted in the 1st round

Regardless of his weight he is a complete beast. Feels like a Smith jr. debate lmao.
If Baker wasn't shaping up so nicely I would say he's a viable replacement, but I would prefer more the Donte' Hightower type (6+, 250-260) that Collins and Parsons are more suited to play.

I agree with a couple of the others, I think Owusu is too light to play LB in the NFL. He'd have to play the hybrid role that Flores envisioned for Princess Minkah... and I'm not sure that he covers well enough for that. He's a bit of a projection.
Fit is the question. From highlights, it's hard to tell how he is in coverage, but I've heard a few others on this site who have questioned that. If he can cover, especially tight ends, then I'm sure Flores could figure out how to use him. Excellent blitzer.

I’ve been on JOK for awhile now. I saw him up close 2 when Clemson played ND this past season and he’s just a terror. The guy has a nose for the football and he loves the game. I know for a fact when Clemson did our offensive game plans for ND this year JOK was the #1 guy we tried to stay away from and scheme around him.

In the first game at ND... We tried to run speed option right and DJU takes the snap takes literally 2 steps and pitches out to ETN and JOK is already in the backfield and catches the ball mid pitch and houses it for 6 on us. He is lightning fast as he was lined up at the nickel on this particular play and was in the backfield within DJU getting the snap and taking 2 steps. I absolutely love this kid and versatility is his game. He will become a Flo favorite very early in his career if we were to select him.

Now he is light at about 215 but he makes up for it with his instincts. He has natural LB instincts but has Safety speed and athleticism. He will need to work on his coverage especially if he gets matched up in man and also his open field 1 on 1 tackling needs to improve but both of those things can be coached and who better to do that than Flo and our defensive staff. However his speed and instincts are not something that can be coached and those are his unique traits. Scheme versatility is why I think he fits with us bc Flo can use him all over the field. I would be thrilled if he was our selection at #18.

If I want a safety at 18 then I'd take a safety at 18 instead of a tweener. He's 216 lbs so there's no way he'd hold up inside as a LB. Parson is the best talent at LB but if he's there at 18 then it has to be the red flags. That leaves Collins who I really like but feel 18 is way too high for him at this time. The fact is that LB is just not a very strong class this year so I'd look into free agency.

Wasn't Baker 215lbs when he came in? I remember posts on this site that said Baker was too light in the ass - which was true at the time.

I say all that to say, Owusu currently looks like he has 2% bodyfat/shredded at 215lbs…I'm pretty sure he could stack on 10LBs prior to our 1st game.

Yeah he's not a 6'3, 250 guy…but damn he looks active.

I sure hope the Ravens or Steelers don't take him.

I’ve been on JOK for awhile now. I saw him up close 2 when Clemson played ND this past season and he’s just a terror. The guy has a nose for the football and he loves the game. I know for a fact when Clemson did our offensive game plans for ND this year JOK was the #1 guy we tried to stay away from and scheme around him.

In the first game at ND... We tried to run speed option right and DJU takes the snap takes literally 2 steps and pitches out to ETN and JOK is already in the backfield and catches the ball mid pitch and houses it for 6 on us. He is lightning fast as he was lined up at the nickel on this particular play and was in the backfield within DJU getting the snap and taking 2 steps. I absolutely love this kid and versatility is his game. He will become a Flo favorite very early in his career if we were to select him.

Now he is light at about 215 but he makes up for it with his instincts. He has natural LB instincts but has Safety speed and athleticism. He will need to work on his coverage especially if he gets matched up in man and also his open field 1 on 1 tackling needs to improve but both of those things can be coached and who better to do that than Flo and our defensive staff. However his speed and instincts are not something that can be coached and those are his unique traits. Scheme versatility is why I think he fits with us bc Flo can use him all over the field. I would be thrilled if he was our selection at #18.
The 1-on-1 tackling is a flag for me. I'm not convinced it's that correctable. He has some stiffness moving laterally that makes even a basic juke from a RB a challenge for him at times. Everything else checks out, even his size for me, as he's built like a brick.

The 1-on-1 tackling is a flag for me. I'm not convinced it's that correctable. He has some stiffness moving laterally that makes even a basic juke from a RB a challenge for him at times. Everything else checks out, even his size for me, as he's built like a brick.
Tackling is always correctable because more times than not it’s a form issue which is the case here. He needs to learn to get more square and use his leg power to drive the ball carrier instead of relying on his athleticism all the time and trying to arm tackle bc that’s definitely not going to work in the pros but this is something that can be coached and who better than Flo and company.

Honestly tackling is becoming a lost art in all levels of football bc the offensive skill guys have become so dynamic and hard to tackle. As long as you can slow a guy down and wait for the calvary teams have gotten to where they accept that and I agree with you there it needs to be fixed but like I said I fully believe this is coachable and correctable bc his athleticism and instincts are off the charts.

I agree with a couple of the others, I think Owusu is too light to play LB in the NFL. He'd have to play the hybrid role that Flores envisioned for Princess Minkah... and I'm not sure that he covers well enough for that. He's a bit of a projection.
Its a shame because he can play football hard. If he gets drafted by us it will be for very good reasons.

He is just everywhere he is very athletic very lean his motor is perhaps among the best. He is def more of a mike or inside linebacker. But his weight is what is bothering folks. Make no mistake this isn't a wr smith debate because in def he can be lined up dynamically. If he gains weight that would help him. I'm dissapointed at our brothers opinions but they have a point in some aspects.

Wasn't Baker 215lbs when he came in? I remember posts on this site that said Baker was too light in the *** - which was true at the time.

I say all that to say, Owusu currently looks like he has 2% bodyfat/shredded at 215lbs…I'm pretty sure he could stack on 10LBs prior to our 1st game.

Yeah he's not a 6'3, 250 guy…but damn he looks active.

I sure hope the Ravens or Steelers don't take him.
If you can post some data that would be great.

Its a shame because he can play football hard. If he gets drafted by us it will be for very good reasons.
I realize, in theory, that there are always smallish players who defy the prototype size qualifications and still become good, or even great players, but the % chance of them doing it is always less. Since they are giving up size and strength, they have to be really, REALLY good.

I tend to avoid these players for this reason... unless they slide into a draft round where you can take that chance.

One guy I have on this list is Chris Rumph ii, from Duke. He's clearly too light... and I wouldn't invest a high pick, but if he slides into the third day, I might take a stab.

I realize, in theory, that there are always smallish players who defy the prototype size qualifications and still become good, or even great players, but the % chance of them doing it is always less. Since they are giving up size and strength, they have to be really, REALLY good.

I tend to avoid these players for this reason... unless they slide into a draft round where you can take that chance.

One guy I have on this list is Chris Rumph ii, from Duke. He's clearly too light... and I wouldn't invest a high pick, but if he slides into the third day, I might take a stab.

Pass rushing against bigger and faster linemen. Against the more agile and faster ones like Sewell for example.

If you can post some data that would be great.

Well I was incorrect…multiple sites I looked at state that Jerome Baker was 225 to 229 when he got drafted…and they were still calling him smallish…here's one site...

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2...ohio-state-draft-profile-2018-combine-results

As far as Owusu, this site compares him to Jamal Adams (due to his size I would think)…now JA is a stud, but I'm not sure Flo/Grier would want to draft a Safety sized LB in Round 1.

https://nflmocks.com/2020/10/14/2021-nfl-draft-jeremiah-owusu-koramoah/

Back
Top Bottom