Linebacker Prospects likely to be drafted in the 1st round | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Linebacker Prospects likely to be drafted in the 1st round

I don't know. Flores could view him more as a safety, rover. Maybe what he envisioned for M. Fitzpatrick.

I know that Jack Lambert weighed 212 pounds, but that was almost 50 years ago. At 216, and not really being a take-on linebacker, I'd agree with you there.
Think of the 3-4 scheme for example. Joey Porter, James Farrior, Bell, Harrison, and etc were all big linebackers. In a 3-4 scheme the nose guard is usually double teamed, and the ends are not like your typical Jason Taylor looking like ends. The defensive line acts like if they are blockers to the linebackers to create gaps. Either how, all of those linebackers are heavy, strong, and they can go toe to toe with tackles, guards etc. They also happen to be fast too , and be able to drop back in coverage. Since there are 4 linebackers, they can cover a bigger area of the field. Owusu would be too small for those schemes. Someone like Micah Parsons would be ideal for those schemes but they have no need for them as their linebackers are already one of the best groups in the nfl.

Think of the 3-4 scheme for example. Joey Porter, James Farrior, Bell, Harrison, and etc were all big linebackers. In a 3-4 scheme the nose guard is usually double teamed, and the ends are not like your typical Jason Taylor looking like ends. The defensive line acts like if they are blockers to the linebackers to create gaps. Either how, all of those linebackers are heavy, strong, and they can go toe to toe with tackles, guards etc. They also happen to be fast too , and be able to drop back in coverage. Since there are 4 linebackers, they can cover a bigger area of the field. Owusu would be too small for those schemes. Someone like Micah Parsons would be ideal for those schemes but they have no need for them as their linebackers are already one of the best groups in the nfl.
Collins could be a good fit too.

Collins could be a good fit too.

If the Steelers needed a linebacker they would draft him or Parsons. Collins has great coverage skills. Someone that would be better for the inside than the outside. We do a lot of the things steelers do, and if anything Collins would be the best fit at 18th overall.

I'm a fan Owusu-Koramoah. I don't care about his size. Being successful in the NFL is about acquiring talent, not size. Put him in a rover role on our D and he will shine. He can play the 5th in our 3-3-5 or 4-2-5. Flores likes to drop Christian Wilkins into coverage...think he cant figure out how to use a rover? JOK would be an excellent pick for us imo.

Size matters look at the 3 - 4 defense post above. Coaching staff will see his placement differently.

Size matters look at the 3 - 4 defense post above. Coaching staff will see his placement differently.

Nah, size only matters if you are trying to plug a player into an established role on your defense. For a player like this, you create a role where his size becomes an asset. JOK isn't going play a "position", he will play a role.

@ 3 parsons feels like the right pick. Parsons will become the leader of our defense immediately. Impact player who will play right away.

I really think it will be JOK or Z.Collins at 18. Both allow for flexibility in looks for any down and distance. Flores will have a new toy to play with on defense!

Back
Top Bottom