Linebacker U | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Linebacker U

RealDriscoll

Still Perfect.. and You're Not.
Reaction score
Sorry I have been AWOL the last couple of days as I just returned from reconstructive knee surgery take five. While I was in the hospital I read three different draft magzines in their entirety so I am feeling kind of froggy with draft knowledge.

Penn State is considered and has been considered "Linebacker U" for some time now but as of late it seems that USC has been producing some serious talent at linebacker and this year is no different. In fact USC will provide three first-round level talents and another linebacker who is rising up the draft boards.

People are going to think I'm either crazy or hopped up on pain meds but I think the best of the bunch is Clay Matthews Jr. An 110% effort player who can pressure a Quarterback with a relentless effort. I have watched this kid play and despite being a late-bloomer he is athletic and determined to be a good football player. He is pretty stout in coverage which is a huge plus but the thing thing that stands out to me is his character. Matthews Jr. is a very coachable kid and the fact that he went fron walk-on to starter on the best defense in the nation should give you an indication that the kid has marbles.

Than there is Rey Maualuga who plays faster than he will run and boy can he really lay the lumber. He is an impact player on defense who could be considered a game-changer. Parcells will love the guy because he plays with a mean-streak that you cannot teach a player. I guess the knock on Maualuga is at times he is too aggressive which causes lapses in judgement and blown assignments. I think this is an extremly coachable flaw.

Brian Cushing is rock solid and looks the part. I don't know of a linebacker better in coverage than Cushing. He is smart kid who is a hard worker; you only have to see those NFL Netowrk commercials to know that the kid is a gym rat. My problem with his is that he a history of supplements which I consider a red-flag. I read somewhere that he spent like a thousand dollars a month on supplements.

Kaluka Miava is under the radar but has been climbin draft boards. He is a versatile player with the ability to play both inside and outside. he doesn't have ideal size but playing Matthews, Cushing, and Maualuga every day for the last four years must show something.

I guess the point of this thread was to show you anti-Matthews at #25 advocates that the kid is a hell of a football player.

Back
Top Bottom