Linehan recruited Alex Smith...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Linehan recruited Alex Smith......

Yup he did. Most here are in agreeance that if we were to take a QB with the #2 it would be Smith. I am just not sold that Saban wants to put that much into a QB... He said something (sorry can't remember where) about the percentage of a first round QB succeeding. Something like 30%, which makes me think he will either trade down or take another position.

It would be almost ironic if SF took Smith and rendered all of this moot.

First round picks in general are probably about 30% hit, not just Quarterbacks, ask the browns who were 0 for 3 with W. Green, Brown and T. Couch. all top ten picks, all have been duds for the Browns.
When is the last time we hit on a first round pick for that matter, Avery & Yatil Green were both 1st round duds.

yea...it's a scary thing talking top 5 qb's...How low did Roethlisburger drop to for Pittsburg?? Like 7th or something? We gotta trade down.

philyphin said:
First round picks in general are probably about 30% hit, not just Quarterbacks, ask the browns who were 0 for 3 with W. Green, Brown and T. Couch. all top ten picks, all have been duds for the Browns.
When is the last time we hit on a first round pick for that matter, Avery & Yatil Green were both 1st round duds.

Yeah that's the Browns and Butch Davis...

About 65-70% of first rounders end out being average to great players, the rest are busts or never lived up to their potential, the Browns actually picked ok players I thought, until Brown kept getting injured, Green got stabbed and Davis could never bring out Couch's potential. It wasn't just that the players didn't perform that well the coaching was horrible in Cleveland.

Oboy said:
Yup he did. Most here are in agreeance that if we were to take a QB with the #2 it would be Smith. I am just not sold that Saban wants to put that much into a QB... He said something (sorry can't remember where) about the percentage of a first round QB succeeding. Something like 30%, which makes me think he will either trade down or take another position.

You do realize that a 30% success rate in the first round is much greater than the 6% success round in all the rounds after the first?

fishypete said:
Doesn't he also have a connection to Lefors?

He realizes that Lefors doesn't have the size to play in the NFL.

BringBackShula said:
yea...it's a scary thing talking top 5 qb's...How low did Roethlisburger drop to for Pittsburg?? Like 7th or something? We gotta trade down.

Big Ben fell to the 11th pick overall. Not even top 10. I don't mind taking Smith there at two, but I too feel this is a smokescreen. When it comes to the offseason, you NEVER set things in stone. You throw out possibilities and then let other teams draw their own conclusions.

KB21 said:
He realizes that Lefors doesn't have the size to play in the NFL.

Keith...you have a thing about players being too small....get over it....he's the same size as Brees....even you have to admit that now...or don't you believe the combine? At least give yourself some room to back off his size....just in case Saban picks him in the 5th to 6th round. LeFors is as good as ANY QB in this draft....his stats should tell you this....the're better than Rodgers and Smiths...yet you still won't give an inch....unlike you Keith.
Rodgers is nothing more than atypical west coast QB, one that only has appx 22 games experience...and Smith hasn't and can't play behind a center yet....hype..hype..hype. It happens every draft...some players get hyped....and some get trappled on...but it seems the ones that get stepped on...survive longer than those that have the unearned glory. O'well my friend...we'll still have fun...won't we!!

GO PHINS!!!

fishypete said:
Keith...you have a thing about players being too small....get over it....he's the same size as Brees....even you have to admit that now...or don't you believe the combine? At least give yourself some room to back off his size....just in case Saban picks him in the 5th to 6th round. LeFors is as good as ANY QB in this draft....his stats should tell you this....the're better than Rodgers and Smiths...yet you still won't give an inch....unlike you Keith.
Rodgers is nothing more than atypical west coast QB, one that only has appx 22 games experience...and Smith hasn't and can't play behind a center yet....hype..hype..hype. It happens every draft...some players get hyped....and some get trappled on...but it seems the ones that get stepped on...survive longer than those that have the unearned glory. O'well my friend...we'll still have fun...won't we!!

GO PHINS!!!

Why should I back off? When I form an opinion on a player, that opinion is set in stone. Lefors is too small and will be in the CFL before the NFL. Not to mention that he has a weak arm as well.

Yeah, I too think this is a smokescreen and an obvious ploy to get more picks from the Bucs, but hey, whatever works man! Looks like the Bucs are ready to bite and even if they dont we know we drafted for a position that warranted a high pick

Look at it this way...if we stay at #2 we will FINALLY be making an attempt to bring in a potential franchise QB...if we dont and trade we will be able to pick up Braylon Edwards/Mike Williams/Ronnie Brown/Cedric Benson/etc. with the 5th pick, then pick up another great player....maybe matt jones in the 2nd? Then we have an extra 3rd on what we already have!!!!!!! EIther way we will have an AWESOME draft I think.

PhinKev said:
It would be almost ironic if SF took Smith and rendered all of this moot.

I don't think that's irony. But the truth is I'm not sure. I haven't understood what irony is since that freaking song (by morissette, I think).

Back
Top Bottom