Lions could take a QB with the No.2 pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lions could take a QB with the No.2 pick

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
Lions | QB still a draft option
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:58:48 -0800

Mike O'Hara, of the Detroit News, reports Detroit Lions president Matt Millen would not rule out the possibility of using the team's No. 2 overall draft choice on a quarterback this year. "There is a good group of quarterbacks in this draft," Millen said. The team had incumbent QB Jon Kitna as their starting quarterback last season.

www.kffl.com

this would cause a rippple effect in the draft. Should the lions take a QB, it would probably be Quinn or Russel, whomever is remaining.

teams with picks in the top 5 do things like this all the time. We did it when we had the #2 pick. If you have a pick that is in the top 5 and you say something that would show a limitaion of an interest in a position then you make that pick less marketable to teams that might want to trade up.

That being said, the lions could very well take a quarterback with their pick, but be careful in looking into things that are said by team official with draft picks in the top 10.

Trade-baiting in case the Raiders do indeed trade for Byron Leftwich and draft Calvin Johnson.

Everyone knows that Joe Thomas is the most likely pick for the Lions...but he's not worth a #2 when the Lions could trade down and get him at a different pick.

Irony:

After being ridiculed and mocked for drafting WRs 1st in 3 consecutive drafts. Millen couldn't dare draft one of the best WR prospects to come along in years.

And without annointing him prematurely, he probably is heads (sorry Mike) and shoulders (sorry Rogers) above any of the 3, predaft.

Trade-baiting in case the Raiders do indeed trade for Byron Leftwich and draft Calvin Johnson.

Everyone knows that Joe Thomas is the most likely pick for the Lions...but he's not worth a #2 when the Lions could trade down and get him at a different pick.
Let's hope so for Brady's sake! Have him call up Joey and ask about his time in Detroit! We'll never know how much that Detroit situation hurt Joey as a pro! His current negative attributes could have been cultivated by his time there!

What would Tom Brady be doing if he was QB of the Lions since '01?

Lions | QB still a draft option
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:58:48 -0800

Mike O'Hara, of the Detroit News, reports Detroit Lions president Matt Millen would not rule out the possibility of using the team's No. 2 overall draft choice on a quarterback this year. "There is a good group of quarterbacks in this draft," Millen said. The team had incumbent QB Jon Kitna as their starting quarterback last season.

www.kffl.com

this would cause a rippple effect in the draft. Should the lions take a QB, it would probably be Quinn or Russel, whomever is remaining.

I hope they don't draft a QB. Let's send our #9 and Cleo Lemon for their #2. :evil:

I would even say it's realistic that the top four teams could want a qb.

oakland... brooks/walter.... definately need a qb
lions.... kitna.... old, not very good in the first place... need a qb
browns.... frye... average qb. quinn or russell would be a huge upgrade
bucs... simms is not good. gradkowsky or whatever, not proven at all yet.

what would really be interesting is if joe thomas falls at all, how far does he fall. He would be awesome in a phins uni. I really hope we go OL or OLB with our first. i want to see holes filled. I don't think a qb is around with our first.

ideally, I still want to trade it to whoever has the 22nd pick. I don't remember who it is, but I thought that when I saw the order it was a scenario that may happen. It may have been the chiefs.

go phins.

Of course they are going to say that. Unlike the Vikings slip (rep said they really didn't see them taking a QB), all the teams are going to say they want everyone so as not to tip their hand before the draft and have someone trade to get in front of them or to leverage a possible trade with another team that might be looking at a certain player. I could give you reasons why every team in front of us might take a QB and a counter reason as to why they might not. Key for us is to not panic and sell the farm just because we are possibly stuck on someone. Too many needs in many spots to trade away picks.

Do you know how old Kitna is? If anything, I would totally think their going QB.
Just my take.

Millen is on thin ice and needs his team to win now. He is trying to find a trade partner to stockpile more picks where they have needs everywhere...

I would even say it's realistic that the top four teams could want a qb.

oakland... brooks/walter.... definately need a qb
lions.... kitna.... old, not very good in the first place... need a qb
browns.... frye... average qb. quinn or russell would be a huge upgrade
bucs... simms is not good. gradkowsky or whatever, not proven at all yet.

what would really be interesting is if joe thomas falls at all, how far does he fall. He would be awesome in a phins uni. I really hope we go OL or OLB with our first. i want to see holes filled. I don't think a qb is around with our first.

ideally, I still want to trade it to whoever has the 22nd pick. I don't remember who it is, but I thought that when I saw the order it was a scenario that may happen. It may have been the chiefs.

go phins.

We need to take a player in the top 10. There are alot of good players available when we pick that could fill offensive areas of need possibly at the QB, OT, and WR positions. If we could get a franchise QB to fall to us at 9, then we should take him, if not, then we should take Levi Brown if he's available, if not him, then we should consider someone like Dwayne Jarrett, or somebody fast. I'm not sold on Ted Ginn Jr. just because I think he may be too small and it's difficult to project if he will be able to be strong enough to play receiver in the NFL and that pick is too high to spend on just a kick returner, but perhaps someone's stock will rise in the combine after a blazing 40 time. Who knows...

It would be my hope that we don't draft a WR, unless we have traded or cut or done something with one of the WR's we already have.

we have chambers, hagan, booker, welker, and vick. I think we may even have one other guy, but I can't remember his name, I think he was from FSU.

I wouldn't mind one if we moved booker for a 3-4 th round pick and picked up a speedy guy. too bad the speedy guy is going to be ginn, and you may be right about his size limitations.

how fast is jarrett?

still think it should be an oline with the 9th or trade down.

Back
Top Bottom