Lions looking to trade Stafford? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lions looking to trade Stafford?

Signing a slightly above average QB with a mega contract instead of taking the team friendly rookie QB contract sounds like something the Dolphins would do.
So you'd rather shoot craps on Herbert and then take best players of need at 18 and 26?

So you'd rather shoot craps on Herbert and then take best players of need at 18 and 26?

Huh? You said you rather take Stafford and his contract over any QB in the draft besides Burrow. Id much rather take Tua. Would even throw Love into the mix before just signing Stafford.

Stafford's back is jacked and when it isn't he's a b+ player at best doing most of his best work in garbage time as someone else stated.

GMs and coaches usually aren't interested in helping out their replacements
I agree and that is why the owner should step in and make the decision to draft Tua. The Lions are going nowhere with Stafford at QB and the owner should sit down and tell the HC and GM that he wants to draft Tua and they both will have additional time to turn the team into a winner. This is basically what Ross has done in Miami and what Lions fans should be insisting their team does too.

Ross finally recognized that mediocrity was not going to get it done in Miami. I guess the Lions owner isn’t as smart as Ross and he is quite happy with mediocrity. Because if he wants to have a better team in the years to come, he would demand they draft Tua and accept that it will be a couple of years before the team becomes better.

I agree and that is why the owner should step in and make the decision to draft Tua. The Lions are going nowhere with Stafford at QB and the owner should sit down and tell the HC and GM that he wants to draft Tua and they both will have additional time to turn the team into a winner. This is basically what Ross has done in Miami and what Lions fans should be insisting their team does too.

Ross finally recognized that mediocrity was not going to get it done in Miami. I guess the Lions owner isn’t as smart as Ross and he is quite happy with mediocrity. Because if he wants to have a better team in the years to come, he would demand they draft Tua and accept that it will be a couple of years before the team becomes better.
Well, its not he, it's she. And I don't see 94 year old Martha Ford pounding the table for any draft pick.

Well, its not he, it's she. And I don't see 94 year old Martha Ford pounding the table for any draft pick.
Hmmmm......

I would agree on the surface but, by the same token, do you see her calling the shots on hiring GMs and HCs?

I really dont know that much about the situation, but doesn't she have children, who may be involved in thoae decisions?

The Dolphins paid 5 Million of Tannehills contract. A big difference between that and 32 Million. From a cap standpoint, the trade saves $8.2 million on Miami’s cap in 2019 and $25 million off Miami’s cap in 2020. The Dolphins where willing to dumping players and money last year to have almost 100 Million this year. The Lions want to win now. They need that extra money to add players. Not spend 32 Million on a player that they don't even have.
All the teams want to win now. So wanting to win and having the talent to win is a completely different thing. The Dolphins went into every season before last year expecting to win and all they ended up doing was being mediocre. That is exactly what the Lions are, a mediocre football team who needs to draft a franchise QB they can build around for the future. Stafford is not that QB and this might be the best chance the Lions will have to draft a franchise QB for the foreseeable future.

With Stafford at QB they will win 6 to 8 games next year and will have no opportunity to draft Lawrence or Fields in the 2021 draft. So drafting Tua at 3 when they have the chance to draft a franchise QB makes perfect sense to me. As far as trading Stafford and taking a cap hit is concerned. They can play Stafford in 2020 because Tua will likely still be in recovery mode from his hip surgery. By 2021 they can trade Stafford and Tua should be ready to take over as QB of the Lions.

If she is demanding they make the playoffs next year for the HC and GM to keep their jobs, she obviously has no problem pounding the table when it comes to getting into the playoffs. The Dolphins might just be lucky that the Lions owner doesn’t demand they draft Tua. Because the Lions aren’t going to the playoffs next year no matter who they draft at 3 and if they actually had a clue what they were doing they would draft Tua and build the team around him.

Hmmmm......

I would agree on the surface but, by the same token, do you see her calling the shots on hiring GMs and HCs?

I really dont know that much about the situation, but doesn't she have children, who may be involved in thoae decisions?
Not really sure but I don't think the kids are involved either. they have a team president, his name is Rod Wood but he seems more like a bean counter than a football guy

Huh? You said you rather take Stafford and his contract over any QB in the draft besides Burrow. Id much rather take Tua. Would even throw Love into the mix before just signing Stafford.
I said if all things were equal and we were a QB away from the post season. Since we are not and most likely will not end up with Burrow, my position is to NOT spend all our capital to trade up for a QB who may end up on the same career arc as RG3. If Tua's available at 5, okay, if not, then we may as well take Herbert and hope that effective development will turn him into the potential QB many so-called "gurus" believe him to be.

I'm certainly no guru the likes of Chris Grier, Mayock, etc. but I just can't get past seeing Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert as anything but QB purgatory. I think you have to go Tua or Jordan Love in this draft to hit big.

Just feels like too many are caught up in Burrow's Senior year and not seeing the entire picture. This kid is going to struggle in the NFL.

Just my opinion for today - need to get 2 posts in somehow.

Not really sure but I don't think the kids are involved either. they have a team president, his name is Rod Wood but he seems more like a bean counter than a football guy
Yeah, after a cursory look at the guy, he is solely a business manager.

That explains a lot, actually. If there is no passion for winning, but only for profitability, there is no demand for excellence, or accountability on the field.

If the whole season was about a tank job, why sign Fitz at all? Why continue to play him?

The staff could have easily chosen to do things differently?

Any plausible explanation?
Incompetence. Grier should have never signed Fitzpatrick in the first place but once he made the trade for Rosen, Fitzpatrick should have been let go and the whole season should have been about Rosen sink or swim.

And the debate goes on and on and on......I wonder if Grier/Flores are just laughing at everyone that think they know what's going on. For all we know they might not draft Tua or Herbert even if they have the chance. We just don't know at this point.

And the debate goes on and on and on......I wonder if Grier/Flores are just laughing at everyone that think they know what's going on. For all we know they might not draft Tua or Herbert even if they have the chance. We just don't know at this point.
Almost every GM and HC say they don't pay any attention to the nonsense, but I have to believe that behind closed doors they have a lot of laughs over what the jackass beat writers come up with sometimes.

I know I would.....

Back
Top Bottom