Lions looking to trade Stafford? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lions looking to trade Stafford?

If Burrow or Tua goes #1 and Burrow or Tua goes #3. I'd think Herbert or Love would be in play for Miami at #5? In this scenario, Miami may punt on a QB and wait until 2021? Depending on how much they feel they can coach Herbert or Love into, viable NFL Starting QB's. If Gailey was able to work with Kordell Stewart, I'd think Love could be the choice?

If Burrow or Tua goes #1 and Burrow or Tua goes #3. I'd think Herbert or Love would be in play for Miami at #5? In this scenario, Miami may punt on a QB and wait until 2021? Depending on how much they feel they can coach Herbert or Love into, viable NFL Starting QB's. If Gailey was able to work with Kordell Stewart, I'd think Love could be the choice?

With how incompetent our front office has been over the years, I can definitely see them deferring a QB until next year. Nothing like rolling with the 38 year old beard for another year. Talk about excitement in the stadium haha

With how incompetent our front office has been over the years, I can definitely see them deferring a QB until next year. Nothing like rolling with the 38 year old beard for another year. Talk about excitement in the stadium haha
If Miami starts trading down for more picks in 2021, without selecting a QB at #5, I think it be safe to say, they are punting.

All the teams want to win now. So wanting to win and having the talent to win is a completely different thing. The Dolphins went into every season before last year expecting to win and all they ended up doing was being mediocre. That is exactly what the Lions are, a mediocre football team who needs to draft a franchise QB they can build around for the future. Stafford is not that QB and this might be the best chance the Lions will have to draft a franchise QB for the foreseeable future.

With Stafford at QB they will win 6 to 8 games next year and will have no opportunity to draft Lawrence or Fields in the 2021 draft. So drafting Tua at 3 when they have the chance to draft a franchise QB makes perfect sense to me. As far as trading Stafford and taking a cap hit is concerned. They can play Stafford in 2020 because Tua will likely still be in recovery mode from his hip surgery. By 2021 they can trade Stafford and Tua should be ready to take over as QB of the Lions.

I can agree with you on that they may keep Stafford and draft Tua for the future. My argument was it would be foolish to trade away a guy and take a 32 million dollar cap hit when you could improve your team with that money instead of just throwing it down the drain. Your argument was teams do it all the time, just look at the Dolphins eating Tannehills 5 million dollars.

If Miami starts trading down for more picks in 2021, without selecting a QB at #5, I think it be safe to say, they are punting.
I know this has been said a million times but I have to say it again. It won't matter how many draft assets Miami has next year if the teams ahead of Miami need a QB. Just like you are not going to move Cincinnati off the #1 pick this year, the same thing is going to happen next season if QB needy teams finish ahead of Miami in the draft order.

I know this has been said a million times but I have to say it again. It won't matter how many draft assets Miami has next year if the teams ahead of Miami need a QB. Just like you are not going to move Cincinnati off the #1 pick this year, the same thing is going to happen next season if QB needy teams finish ahead of Miami in the draft order.

yep just be glad washington took a first round qb early last year.

that’s the only thing keeping us able to get to 2 for tua.

Bengals don't trade. Bengals make poor draft choices. Therefore Bengals will draft Burrow. If Burrow won't play for them they will make him sit for a year and enter the 2021 draft class. I don't think any young man should turn down 36 million guaranteed dollars. He can leave in four years. All of this is good for the Dolphins because we shouldn't, and probably don't, want to draft Burrow.

Redskins are a badly run team (so they won't do anything too smart). They spent the 15th pick on Haskins last year. Lions just extended their QB and the coach might be on the hot seat (so any pick has to move the "win now" needle). Giants have a new QB that looks promising. In short, I can't see any of them picking a (not going to be able to walk again, injury prone, midget, who only looked good because he was surrounded by dominant talent) QB. Instead I see them taking DL/OL/DB.

To me, all the Dolphins have to worry about are the likes of Chargers/Panthers/Raiders/Colts moving ahead of them (and only the Chargers "need" a QB). Now what could they possibly offer compared to us?

This isn't the Ireland and Tbomb train wreck express. We got this brothers so chillax. It might cost picks 1A and 1C at worst. Even if it costs 1A and 1B, and Tua never plays a snap in the NFL, we aren't ruined and we wouldn't "have to" fire the GM and HC. All those others teams would. If I was one of them I'd think twice before I gave up my 1st and 2nd (and probably 3rd) in 2020 and 2021. It is quite a gamble for them compared to the gamble for our FO.

To me, all the Dolphins have to worry about are the likes of Chargers/Panthers/Raiders/Colts moving ahead of them (and only the Chargers "need" a QB). Now what could they possibly offer compared to us?

This isn't the Ireland and Tbomb train wreck express. We got this brothers so chillax. It might cost picks 1A and 1C at worst. Even if it costs 1A and 1B, and Tua never plays a snap in the NFL, we aren't ruined and we wouldn't "have to" fire the GM and HC. All those others teams would. If I was one of them I'd think twice before I gave up my 1st and 2nd (and probably 3rd) in 2020 and 2021. It is quite a gamble for them compared to the gamble for our FO.

That is assuming we actually offer anything more than they do. Yes, we have the ammo, but will we spend it? If one of them gets that #2 pick, we are up shits creek.

Also, dont forget the Bucs. I think Winston is done there.

I can agree with you on that they may keep Stafford and draft Tua for the future. My argument was it would be foolish to trade away a guy and take a 32 million dollar cap hit when you could improve your team with that money instead of just throwing it down the drain. Your argument was teams do it all the time, just look at the Dolphins eating Tannehills 5 million dollars.
Actually Tannehill cost the Dolphins $18 million in dead money during the 2019 season, along with paying $5 million dollars of his salary with the Titans.

I could see the Lions trading Stafford and taking the cap hit if they could trade him for a first round pick. Otherwise they should just keep him for the 2020 season and draft Tua to be their long term starter. The reality is that Tua is unlikely to play in 2020 while he continues to rehabilitate his hip.

Looking at the future for the Lions, who would you rather have as your QB over the next 10 years if both Stafford and Tua are healthy. I think most people who follow football would pick Tua under those circumstances and that is why I think selecting Tua would make perfect sense for the Lions.

I just don’t see any player on the board at 3 who is going to make the Lions a playoff team next year. They could select Tua and still have the rest of their draft picks and whatever cap space they have to upgrade the team going forward.

I know the Tua fans on this site hate the thought of the Lions drafting Tua but if those same fans were Lions fans, they would be arguing to draft Tua. In fact I think the Redskins and Giants would be better off long term if they drafted Tua instead of sticking with the QB’s they drafted last year assuming his body holds up in the NFL.

I should also point out that I have my personal concerns regarding Tua being able to stay healthy and having a long career in the NFL. I won’t be upset if he is there at 5 and they select him but I would also not be upset if another team drafts him before the Dolphins have their first pick.

No way Tua Dad would allow him to play in Detroit. Not even worried about them drafting him.

No way Tua Dad would allow him to play in Detroit. Not even worried about them drafting him.
His dad allowed him to play in Alabama, so I don’t think he would have any problem with him playing in Detroit. Tua declared because he and his family want to get as much money as possible now in case he has a short career. He would make millions more by being the 3rd pick in the draft instead of the 5th pick in the draft.

While Tua might prefer Miami over Detroit to live in. I have no doubt he and his father would be jumping for joy if the Lions draft him at 3.

I'm certainly no guru the likes of Chris Grier, Mayock, etc. but I just can't get past seeing Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert as anything but QB purgatory. I think you have to go Tua or Jordan Love in this draft to hit big.

Just feels like too many are caught up in Burrow's Senior year and not seeing the entire picture. This kid is going to struggle in the NFL.

Just my opinion for today - need to get 2 posts in somehow.
Burrow may turn out but he certainly is scheme specific. You dont go from 1 year to the next in 2 different offenses and not have a red flag or too.

Burrow may turn out but he certainly is scheme specific. You dont go from 1 year to the next in 2 different offenses and not have a red flag or too.
He played very well in 2018 under a different offensive system. The fact he was able to pick up a completely
new system this past season in just a few months and have the greatest season any college QB has ever had should be enough to show that he is not a scheme specific QB.

Tua has major red flags simply because he has suffered so many injuries in the past two years. Burrow has done nothing but continue to improve throughout his time in college and when LSU played Alabama this past season, Burrow outplayed Tua.

I don’t think any QB coming into the NFL is a sure fired franchise QB but of all the QB’s in this years draft, I think Burrow has the best chance to be a franchise QB. Unfortunately for him he will likely be drafted by the Bengals and the Bengals are not an organization which had been effective in surrounding their QB’s with a lot of talent over the last three decades.

His dad allowed him to play in Alabama, so I don’t think he would have any problem with him playing in Detroit. Tua declared because he and his family want to get as much money as possible now in case he has a short career. He would make millions more by being the 3rd pick in the draft instead of the 5th pick in the draft.

While Tua might prefer Miami over Detroit to live in. I have no doubt he and his father would be jumping for joy if the Lions draft him at 3.
According to Tua his dad/family chose Bama over USC - likely because of the stable coaching - his dad/family spoke up against Detroit because of the coaching situation believing GM and Patricia are not stable

So what about Tua's parents? He'll just be like Eli holding a Chargers jersey in his draft pictures with his sourpuss dad and get traded for picks.

Back
Top Bottom