Lions looking to trade Stafford? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lions looking to trade Stafford?

Oh ya do you all still remember beating the Bengals (OT) and the Pats in the last two games and going 5-11.

Losing those 2 totally meaningless games, and we'd be sittin pretty at 2 ( I think ahead even of Washington).

But nooooo. This is why some of the posters wanted us to lose those 2 games at the end.
I ask you now what would be best for the Fins, those 2 wins or 2 pick...daaaa

Oh ya I think even moving a little higher in the second rd.
I actually think we would be at the # 1 pick spot in the draft

Again, I highly doubt that a HC and GM who have been given a warning to get results this year would be making any changes that would prevent them from contending in 2020. They want Chase Young because they need a pass rusher. I expect to see quite a bit of Motor City fog spreading around between now and the end of April.

Stafford's wife posted something on twitter suggesting he could end up with the Chargers. Stafford being traded isn't as unlikely as many on here think. I can't help but laugh at the people who think Tua will last until Miami's pick at #5.

Also, don't forget, the Lions coaching staff was at the Senior Bowl. They could be smitten with Justin Herbert.

According to Tua his dad/family chose Bama over USC - likely because of the stable coaching - his dad/family spoke up against Detroit because of the coaching situation believing GM and Patricia are not stable
The difference is there is no draft in college. The player gets to select what college he wants to attend where as in the NFL you are drafted to play with a team. With his injury to his hip Tua really doesn’t have a lot of bargaining chips when it comes to dictating where he wants to play in the NFL.
The only thing he could do if he was drafted by Detroit is refuse to sign with them and wait and enter the draft again in 2021. I don’t see him doing that because he would lose a year of money and he would be no better than the third QB drafted in the 2021 draft.

Tua’s father might prefer his son play somewhere else but I have no doubt he will sign with the Lions if they do draft him. Also with the Dolphins history of mediocrity over the past two decades, I am sure Tua’s dad would prefer his son be drafted by a better organization if he has that opportunity. I imagine he really wants one of the better teams to trade up and draft his son if possible.

Again, I highly doubt that a HC and GM who have been given a warning to get results this year would be making any changes that would prevent them from contending in 2020. They want Chase Young because they need a pass rusher. I expect to see quite a bit of Motor City fog spreading around between now and the end of April.
Stafford's wife posted something on twitter suggesting he could end up with the Chargers. Stafford being traded isn't as unlikely as many on here think. I can't help but laugh at the people who think Tua will last until Miami's pick at #5.

I think the Lions want to draft Tua and they will if he is there at 3. They aren‘t making the playoff next year no matter who their QB is so they might as well get what they can for Stafford and start preparing for their future by drafting Tua.

The Dolphins will either have to trade all of their first round picks to Washington to move up to 2 if they want to draft Tua or they can just stay at 5 and draft Herbert if he is still on the board. I don’t see Tua being worth all three of their first round picks so hopefully they stay at 5 and draft Herbert or another player if they don’t want Herbert with that pick.

I think the Lions want to draft Tua and they will if he is there at 3. They aren‘t making the playoff next year no matter who their QB is so they might as well get what they can for Stafford and start preparing for their future by drafting Tua.

The Dolphins will either have to trade all of their first round picks to Washington to move up to 2 if they want to draft Tua or they can just stay at 5 and draft Herbert if he is still on the board. I don’t see Tua being worth all three of their first round picks so hopefully they stay at 5 and draft Herbert or another player if they don’t want Herbert with that pick.
I hope Miami moves up for Tua.

I hope Miami moves up for Tua.
He is not worth 3 first round picks. If the Lions or Redskins are willing to take the Dolphins pick at #5 and one second round pick I have no problem with them trading up for Tua. With all the holes the Dolphins have throughout the roster and especially how bad the OL is, the Dolphins can’t afford to trade all three of their first round picks on an injury prone Tua.

I would rather they stay at 5 and hopefully Herbert falls to them if Tua is already off the board. If Tua had not had 2 ankle surgeries, hip surgery, and a knee injury in the last two years he would be worth trading all the first round picks to move up and draft him. Yet with all the injuries he has had in just two seasons at Alabama, it would be absolutely insane for the a Dolphins to give up more than their first pick and a pick in round two for Tua.

They want stability
Exactly what is so stable about the Dolphins compared to the Lions? The Dolphins replaced several coaches after the season and they have a history since Shula left of firing their HC within 4 years. If Tua’s father wants stability he should be demanding his son is drafted by the Patriots, Steelers, Seahawks, or one of the other franchises who have been far more stable than the Dolphins have been since Ross became the team owner.

If Tua and his father want him to be drafted by the Dolphins because they prefer the weather in Miami over the weather in Detroit, I can understand that. But if they are looking for stability in a football organization, Miami is one of the last places they should want to come to.

Matthew Stafford signed a 5 year, $135,000,000 contract with the Detroit Lions, including a $50,000,000 signing bonus, $92,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $27,000,000. In 2020, Stafford will earn a base salary of $7,800,000 and a workout bonus of $500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $21,300,000 and a dead cap value of $32,000,000.
Detroit would probably have to trade Stafford and make it extremely attractive for the other team to unload him. GMs generally don't want to take on cap hits of that sort of magnitude. While others speculate, most likely scenario is that Detroit keeps Matthew Stafford at least for another year.

He is not worth 3 first round picks. If the Lions or Redskins are willing to take the Dolphins pick at #5 and one second round pick I have no problem with them trading up for Tua. With all the holes the Dolphins have throughout the roster and especially how bad the OL is, the Dolphins can’t afford to trade all three of their first round picks on an injury prone Tua.

I would rather they stay at 5 and hopefully Herbert falls to them if Tua is already off the board. If Tua had not had 2 ankle surgeries, hip surgery, and a knee injury in the last two years he would be worth trading all the first round picks to move up and draft him. Yet with all the injuries he has had in just two seasons at Alabama, it would be absolutely insane for the a Dolphins to give up more than their first pick and a pick in round two for Tua.
I think he would be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom