Lions looking to trade Stafford? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lions looking to trade Stafford?

Matthew Stafford signed a 5 year, $135,000,000 contract with the Detroit Lions, including a $50,000,000 signing bonus, $92,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $27,000,000. In 2020, Stafford will earn a base salary of $7,800,000 and a workout bonus of $500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $21,300,000 and a dead cap value of $32,000,000.
Detroit would probably have to trade Stafford and make it extremely attractive for the other team to unload him. GMs generally don't want to take on cap hits of that sort of magnitude. While others speculate, most likely scenario is that Detroit keeps Matthew Stafford at least for another year.
That is why I think they should draft Tua and let him sit and fully recover from his hip surgery for a year. The Lions could trade Stafford after the 2020 season and have Tua fully recovered and ready to take over at QB in 2021. No player the Lions could draft at 3 would have the same long term positive effect on the Lions organization than Tua if he is able to fully recover from his hip surgery.

If Stafford was in his 20’s and not coming off a major back injury, drafting another player at three would make sense. Yet at age 32 and coming off a major back injury, drafting Tua for the long term would appear to be the best draft pick the Lions could make in this years draft.

I know the Tua fans on here don’t want to even think that another team drafting before the Dolphins might draft Tua but if they think he is the next great NFL QB, why can’t they accept that the Lions, Redskins, or even the Giants just might view him as their long term answer at the QB position too.

I think he would be worth it.
We just have to agree to disagree. Because if the Dolphins trade all their first round picks for Tua, it will be years before he possibly has good talent around him. Also with the inability of Grier to build jn average OL, Tua would be lucky to make it through a game, much less an entire season.

I think if they really wanted too they would have tanked. maybe smokescreen. who they really want is Love.

We just have to agree to disagree. Because if the Dolphins trade all their first round picks for Tua, it will be years before he possibly has good talent around him. Also with the inability of Grier to build jn average OL, Tua would be lucky to make it through a game, much less an entire season.
So if you don't trust Grier to build a team, wouldn't it be smarter to invest some of those picks on the top QB prospect in the draft instead of squandering them away on less important positions? Because if you hit on he QB, he can help cover up other deficiencies on the roster that Grier can't figure out. Plus if Miami can get the QB position right, he will outlast the inept GM. Why would you trust Grier to use those multiple picks and get it right on those position players that don't effect the long-term success of your team nearly as much as QB does?

That is why I think they should draft Tua and let him sit and fully recover from his hip surgery for a year. The Lions could trade Stafford after the 2020 season and have Tua fully recovered and ready to take over at QB in 2021. No player the Lions could draft at 3 would have the same long term positive effect on the Lions organization than Tua if he is able to fully recover from his hip surgery.

If Stafford was in his 20’s and not coming off a major back injury, drafting another player at three would make sense. Yet at age 32 and coming off a major back injury, drafting Tua for the long term would appear to be the best draft pick the Lions could make in this years draft.

I know the Tua fans on here don’t want to even think that another team drafting before the Dolphins might draft Tua but if they think he is the next great NFL QB, why can’t they accept that the Lions, Redskins, or even the Giants just might view him as their long term answer at the QB position too.
Patricia and Quinn can't afford to get nothing from their first round pick this year. A better move would be to trade down to 5 and pick up #26 or #39 and get 2 impact skill players for their healthy veteran QB

Patricia and Quinn can't afford to get nothing from their first round pick this year. A better move would be to trade down to 5 and pick up #26 or #39 and get 2 impact skill players for their healthy veteran QB
Perhaps that would be the smart move for the Lions but I just get the feeling they will draft Tua and will trade Stafford after the 2020 season. They are NOT going to make the playoffs next year no matter who they draft in the first round. So they might as well prepare for the future by drafting Tua and build a team around him.

I think most Lion fans would happily miss the playoffs in 2020 if it meant they used their first round pick on Tua instead of another player who won’t help them make the playoffs in 2020.

The problem with this thinking is the fact that the owner has already said she's accepting nothing short of playoffs this season. Why would Patricia and Co., who are on the hottest of seats, draft a QB who'll never play for them. They need a player who'll make an immediate impact on their roster to try and capitalize on Stafford; Okudah or even Simmons makes too much sense for them.

Last edited:
Dolphins should go get him.. he is good enough. He can compete w mohome,watson and LJ. That what count. Add oline and u in game.

Last edited:
Any word on which QB they want? Tua? Herbert?

So if you don't trust Grier to build a team, wouldn't it be smarter to invest some of those picks on the top QB prospect in the draft instead of squandering them away on less important positions? Because if you hit on he QB, he can help cover up other deficiencies on the roster that Grier can't figure out. Plus if Miami can get the QB position right, he will outlast the inept GM. Why would you trust Grier to use those multiple picks and get it right on those position players that don't effect the long-term success of your team nearly as much as QB does?
The best QB prospect in the draft is Burrow and I just don’t see the Bengals trading the first pick. My issue with Tua is his injury history and I just question if he will be able to take the pounding in the NFL.

So with the Dolphins not likely being able to trade up for Burrow, I would rather they not move up in the draft to take Tua and just take the BPA at 5. Whether I trust Grier is irrelevant because he is the GM and he will be making the draft selections.

If not for his multiple surgeries the past two seasons I would love to draft Tua and would even want to move up. Yet he has had 3 surgeries and an injured knee and I just don’t think the risk is worth trading up for him. I am not sure any of the other QB’s in the draft are worth a first round pick.

The best QB prospect in the draft is Burrow and I just don’t see the Bengals trading the first pick. My issue with Tua is his injury history and I just question if he will be able to take the pounding in the NFL.

So with the Dolphins not likely being able to trade up for Burrow, I would rather they not move up in the draft to take Tua and just take the BPA at 5. Whether I trust Grier is irrelevant because he is the GM and he will be making the draft selections.

If not for his multiple surgeries the past two seasons I would love to draft Tua and would even want to move up. Yet he has had 3 surgeries and an injured knee and I just don’t think the risk is worth trading up for him. I am not sure any of the other QB’s in the draft are worth a first round pick.
You are never, and I mean never going to find the perfect QB prospect. You will always find reasons why not to take someone. To you Burrow is a better prospect, but to me Tua is. I can give you reasons why I believe that but it doesn't really matter. If Miami wants either one of them they will have to move up to get them. If they don't they would be settling for one of the lesser prospects that you say probably isn't even worth a first round pick. With your philosophy Miami would always be frozen with fear or out range to ever take a QB unless they had the first pick in the draft and a "flawless" QB prospect was available. I don't understand how you are advocating for Detroit to take Tua at 3 but you are adamant that Miami shouldn't move up for him. Miami built up all of those draft assets exactly for the scenario they find themselves in now. Just out of range to land the QB prospect they really covet by staying where their pick is now at #5. If you wait until next season, nothing really changes. You most likely find yourself just out of range of the top QB prospects and having to give up assets to move up to get one but with the added risk that the teams ahead of you will be QB needy teams and unwilling to move out of their spot regardless how much you are willing to offer them.

Why would you trust Grier to use those multiple picks and get it right on those position players that don't effect the long-term success of your team nearly as much as QB does?

If you don't trust Grier why do you trust him to draft Tua? Are you saying even a blind squirrel finds a nut? You can't have it both ways … If Grier selects Tua is he suddenly a hero after 20+ years?

Why would you trust Grier to use his #1 pick in the draft to draft your favorite QB if you don't trust him to use multiple picks to better his team?

If you don't trust Grier why do you trust him to draft Tua? Are you saying even a blind squirrel finds a nut? You can't have it both ways … If Grier selects Tua is he suddenly a hero after 20+ years?

Why would you trust Grier to use his #1 pick in the draft to draft your favorite QB if you don't trust him to use multiple picks to better his team?
Yes. I am saying anyone can see that Tua is a talent. Even Grier. I want him to draft Tua because great QB play can make up for a multiple of sins plus the great QB will outlast the inept GM once he is in place. I don't trust Grier to even have a big picture veiw of how to build a team let alone the aptitude to execute it.

I don't trust Grier to even have a big picture veiw of how to build a team let alone the aptitude to execute it.

Ok … then you can't trust Grier to have the aptitude to see that Tua is a great talent IMO … you really can't have it both ways

Serious question though: Does the GM override the HC ? To explain, I thought the HC has input on assistant coaches (to implement schemes and game strategy) and players (who he coaches daily/weekly to execute his plans).
If the HC has a vision to build his team (I assume he must) Does a GM override his vision and pick whoever he wants?

I ask this because Grier gets a lot of flak and when things go south the coach gets fired. It doesn't make sense to me for the GM to buy the groceries and expect the HC to make a meal of it. If so, then the HC position must just be a puppet.

Back
Top Bottom