Local Ownership | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Local Ownership

Because we were knocking on the Super Bowl door in Wayne's last few years of ownership.....

Don't correct me, correct the Associated Press and Ross himself: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story?id=3260586&src=desktop&rand=ref~{"ref"%3A"https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F"%7D
I think this article was debunked many years ago and we declared it "BS".

When the Dolphins were founded he was already fully entrenched in NY and living there. Before that he was in Michigan. His time in Florida ended at the tender age of 20 in 1960 when he left UF for the UM Business School in Michigan - 6 years before the Dolphins were founded.

If you can call any owner a Dolphins fan prior to becoming the owner of the Dolphins it was Wayne H who was a Dolphins season ticket holder for many years before owning the team.

Even Joe Robbie was a Minnesota season ticket holder before he purchased the rights to a franchise in Miami (because an old college buddy talked him into it).

Ross had a chance to buy the team he loved "all his life" in 1990 after Robbie died. But he waited another 8 years to get into a bidding war with Woody Johnson for the Jets.

Ross never really lived a significant time in Florida. He started HS in Michigan and finished HS in Miami Beach. If you add a couple years of UF to it he probably lived only 4 or 5 years in Florida (2 of them in Gainesville).

I think this article was debunked many years ago and we declared it "BS".

When the Dolphins were founded he was already fully entrenched in NY and living there. Before that he was in Michigan. His time in Florida ended at the tender age of 20 in 1960 when he left UF for the UM Business School in Michigan - 6 years before the Dolphins were founded.

If you can call any owner a Dolphins fan prior to becoming the owner of the Dolphins it was Wayne H who was a Dolphins season ticket holder for many years before owning the team.

Even Joe Robbie was a Minnesota season ticket holder before he purchased the rights to a franchise in Miami (because an old college buddy talked him into it).

Ross had a chance to buy the team he loved "all his life" in 1990 after Robbie died. But he waited another 8 years to get into a bidding war with Woody Johnson for the Jets.

Ross never really lived a significant time in Florida. He started HS in Michigan and finished HS in Miami Beach. If you add a couple years of UF to it he probably lived only 4 or 5 years in Florida (2 of them in Gainesville).

He says in the article he's been a lifelong Dolphins fan. If that statement has been debunked, more power to you!

(Part of his statement: "Ross was in his 20s when the Dolphins became an AFL expansion team, and in his 30s when they won back-to-back NFL championships in 1972-73. "I remember the Dolphins first started and George Wilson was the coach initially," Ross said. "Then Don Shula, how he took them from being a losing franchise to a winning franchise, I was part of that for all those years going to those games, and that excitement lasts a lifetime. "That is all part of it, really wanting to be part of making that happen again.")

next owner is Bruce Beals.. very very, very old Boston $$$$$$... he’s been front n center lately, and if he’s there when Flo gets presented, his ascension is likely right around the corner. so deal.

He says in the article he's been a lifelong Dolphins fan. If that statement has been debunked, more power to you!

(Part of his statement: "Ross was in his 20s when the Dolphins became an AFL expansion team, and in his 30s when they won back-to-back NFL championships in 1972-73. "I remember the Dolphins first started and George Wilson was the coach initially," Ross said. "Then Don Shula, how he took them from being a losing franchise to a winning franchise, I was part of that for all those years going to those games, and that excitement lasts a lifetime. "That is all part of it, really wanting to be part of making that happen again.")
Of course he remembers when the Dolphins started. From year 1 they were placed with the NY Jets in the same division. :lol:

The line
Ross was in his 20s when the Dolphins became an AFL expansion team, and in his 30s when they won back-to-back NFL championships in 1972-73

should read:
Ross was in his 20s when the Dolphins became an AFL expansion team, and in his 30s when they won back-to-back NFL championships in 1972-73 when he lived a happy life in NYC.

Believe me. The guy was never a Dolphins fan before he purchased the Dolphins.

next owner is Bruce Beals.. very very, very old Boston $$$$$$... he’s been front n center lately, and if he’s there when Flo gets presented, his ascension is likely right around the corner. so deal.

You may be onto something.
I think Ross could sell the team in the near future.

My bad, I opened this thread because I thought it was in spanglish and said Loco Ownership.

Its what we need. Buffalo, Ny Jets, New England they are east coast teams. Ross is a New Yorker. Now he is turning us into the Patriot Way. I like our Miami heritage and dont want to bow down to Belicheat and gravel at his feet. To me this move is weak.Would Marino want to be the patriot way? I love dolphins football and also despise our rivals. Tired of being owned by our enemy. I feel like we were bought out by our competition. Imagine if a guy from chicago owned the packers? Kraft is from Mass., rooney from penn.. Do you guys honestly like kissing the pats butts? Maybe I am from a different time but to me this is the ultimate insult to a fan base.

I don't care where he's from, but I agree it's dumb-headed to publicly praise a hated rival. Of course we want to be successful, but he can say that without worshipping at the feet of Bellicheck. Any owner or fan would be lying if they said they didn't want the success that the Pats have had, but you don't need to name check them to try and impress your tesm's fans, especially when they're a rival.

Of course he remembers when the Dolphins started. From year 1 they were placed with the NY Jets in the same division. :lol:

The line
Ross was in his 20s when the Dolphins became an AFL expansion team, and in his 30s when they won back-to-back NFL championships in 1972-73

should read:
Ross was in his 20s when the Dolphins became an AFL expansion team, and in his 30s when they won back-to-back NFL championships in 1972-73 when he lived a happy life in NYC.

Believe me. The guy was never a Dolphins fan before he purchased the Dolphins.
no one cares that much

Yeah that didn’t make me too happy to hear.... then again, I really don’t know anything about Beal. I’m not much of a basketball fan, but I’ve always admired Mickey Arison’s ownership of the Heat, and I’ve always hoped he would buy the Dolphins one day. Sadly, that will probably never happen.

Back
Top Bottom