LOGICAL argument about Fins QB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

LOGICAL argument about Fins QB

eltos_lightfoot

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
What do we truly love about football? I would argue it is the uncertainty. In football some nowhere pick from Michigan in his second year can emerge against the number one team in football with a superbowl MVP trophy in his hand.

Here in football the last qb taken in the first round of the 1983 draft can become arguably the greatest pure passer to ever play the game.

It is the fact that football is not factual. It defies measurables. Many have weighed in on their beliefs about this pending qb trade. A lot of naysayers have wanted facts. This is football, gentlemen, there are very few facts.

However there is logic. Football can be defined by taking a risk, but carefully structuring that risk by taking the risk that is less of a risk than the others out there. With this, the risk of having Lamar Smith for another season was worth the risk of taking a chance on Ricky Williams. Was he worth the picks we gave up? Yes....

Feidler had to go. Do a search for my responses, I was practically Feidler fan-boy number one. But he is too streaky to be consistently successful. He is probably a west coast qb at best. He is definitely not a Turner-style qb. Feidler is about to hit a wall, and we cannot have him be our starter when he hits it.

Here is a LOGICAL (not factual) argument about each of the potential qb candidates:

Feeley: Decent enough arm for Turner-style offense, great intangibles, good enough stats with a team that may be even worse at receiver than we are. Good leader, and will come cheap. As other mentioned, we still have some draft picks. Is a second too high? Possibly...we shall see. Keep this in mind however: A conditional third round pick would have ended up being a first under most situations, since the guy is already our starter the day he arrives. Rick probably figured better to give up a sure second, than a maybe first.

Henson: I love this guy's tangibles and his leadership abilities in college. I seriously question his heart, and his college pedigree is about the length of Clarett's....He seems very raw. Let some other team overpay for him. We didn't. That is smart. He couldn't have stepped into the starting role...With Henson in the fold, we are back to Feidler.

Ramsey: This would have been my ideal choice. We would have had to give up a first, but he would have been worth it. He is cheap, good arm, good and tough leader. BUT, they are currently not going to trade him. He is not going anywhere. With trying to get Ramsey and turing down everyone else, we are back to Feidler...

Rivers: He is another PROSPECT. Even if he were the best qb at the college level, he is still a rookie. Even Byron Leftwich, the best rookie qb last year was not all that great. There were flashes, but no wins. There are growing pains for any rookie. Miami does not have that kind of time. We need to win now. Moreover, there is a great chance he may not even fall to us. Now we are back to Feidler again...

All in all, I am glad the front office didn't pout as much as we fans do, and went out and made a move. FEIDLER IS GONE AS A STARTER!!!!! That is what I wanted, and that is what I got.

We gave Feidler four years. Let's give Feeley at least one.

And if Fiedler decides to take a pay cut and stay, and if Fiedler beats out Feely in preseason, then what?

Originally posted by PhinPhreak
And if Fiedler decides to take a pay cut and stay, and if Fiedler beats out Feely in preseason, then what?

Feidler will not take a pay cut. According to the media, he thinks he is a starter.

If he does? He won't beat out Feeley in training camp. Heck, he might not even beat out Sage.

If he does? He will look to inconsistent in the preseason.

If he doesn't look inconsistent? Then I cry because Jay is our starter. And Wanny is gone.

BUT, that said, I don't think the guy will fail. Feidler was a guarantee to fail at some point.

Look, we all wanted a move. We all wanted something bold. But we all wanted our first rounder also, and a new o-line.

Somewhere has to give. This is a pretty good idea. Let's see how it pans out. I was terrified when I first heard about it. But that was because I pictured Koy Detmer when I heard eagle's backup qb!!! :lol:

All of the Feidler bashers need to understand. For their logic that most any qb is an upgrade to be true, Feeley has to (at first glance) be an upgrade....

Why do you keep saying Turner style Offense Turner is not our OC any more. Plus our new qb coach runs a west coast offense. And we may switch to that style of ball if it suits our qb's. We are yet to find out what kind of style our new OC likes but i doubt it is gonna be just like Turners. Well at least i hope it is not as conservative

And if Fiedler is not Turner style why is Norv interested in taking him to Oakland to be the starter. That is why Jay wont take a pay cut cause he probaly thinks he is good enough cause Norv seems to believe in him. I dont know why but he does.

It would be great to see Feidler with Oakland. That would make him Oakland's problem. I did make an assumption that Collier would stay with the same system for familiarity reasons. If he doesn't, and returns to his former roots (Wasn't he with a west coast team at one time?) then that benefits Feeley even more.

And Turner runs the Zampese style. It is not conservative. It is only conservative when you can't pass block, throw or catch...

Originally posted by Brad528
And if Fiedler is not Turner style why is Norv interested in taking him to Oakland to be the starter. That is why Jay wont take a pay cut cause he probaly thinks he is good enough cause Norv seems to believe in him. I dont know why but he does.

That's because Norv isn't interested in bringing Jay to Oakland. I don't know where you guys get this idea. Some media guy says that so and so may be interested in so and so when he is released, and you think that they want to bring them in as a starter.

Norv isn't going to bring the QB that handcuffed his playcalling ability with him to Oakland. It will not happen.

Joel Collier has already stated that the base offense will be the same offense the team has run the past two years. That's the main reason Collier got the promotion. Dave didn't want to change offenses. Miami will not be going to a west coast offense that will negate everything they have in Ricky Williams.

He is the one who decided to pass the ball on 3rd and 2 yet run the ball on 3rd and 8 to me it seems he handcuffed his self. To me this is conservative and he would do it all the time.

AJ Feeley was basically our only option left IMO. It was also a desperation move on RS and the Phinz part. Especially after looking at the contract we offered him. Fear is a good word to best describe this attempt....Fear of not getting anything done.

AJ Feeley is now our starting QB, and there is no confidence added with this so-called upgrade IMO. He's a third stringer for crying out loud!!!.....

Are we braindead???...Or are we just brainwashed???....

Dave and Rick appear to have woven a spell of idiocy over the Phinz organization and it's fans with this move. We probably would have been just as well off starting Fiedler. At least he's got the starting experience we were all expecting our next QB to have....

This is a nothing move. No spark = no fire. The Phinz FO is lost....

Unless we add a WR like TO to counter this flop of a trade, I have a strong feeling we're looking at another early exit from contention in 2004....

AJ Feeley???.....come on now. We can't do any better than that???

Personally, I don't get it....

PHINZ RULE!!! :pirate:

And the reason he would do that? He was trying to make up for a deficient passing game.

Gruden, in Tampa's superbowl year, was asked why he didn't run the ball more. His answer was why would he try to run the ball when it wasn't working. He would love to be able to play it safe with a lead, but he couldn't because it wasn't executing.

It was the same thing here in Miami, but with the passing game. Norv was trying to offset what wasn't working anyway he can.

Back
Top Bottom