LOL Defense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

LOL Defense

The same people that think players like Baker and Minkah are good are the ones that think Tua is an elite NFL qb. They are just fans that hear things or latch on to certain narratives.

The same people that think players like Baker and Minkah are good are the ones that think Tua is an elite NFL qb. They are just fans that hear things or latch on to certain narratives.

The same ones that wanted to trade up for Murray lmao! That kid is going to be a bust.

Did we really think our LBs were THAT MUCH worse this year? I mean Kiko did some boneheaded things and Raekwon was out of position a lot or slow to react/adjust last season but I thought our LB crew was potentially going to be improved on last year. All around I expected the lack of a legitimate pass rush to be our biggest deficiency. This is major regression, but the Ravens have had our number for what feels like forever.
Yes, I've been saying how bad our LB's are. Everyone was slagging Kiko last year and I kept telling people he was covering for other LB's blown assignments. Well, he wasn't there to cover for Baker and McMillan this year … and you saw the result. Yes Baker, the guy everyone thinks is on the verge of being an All-Pro (what a joke), is HORRIBLE at run defense … and we keep hoping he gets better, but he's definitely not there yet.

I cut Raekwon McMillan a little slack, because he was injured and not able to practice for so long, it's going to be harder for him to get adjusted to this defense. And, the defense is not really a good scheme fit for McMillan, so he's going to struggle more already. Eguaveon (sp?) flashed some plays, but he was very poor as well. The whole LB corps sucked.

And the most important statistic, we came up goose eggs. ZERO takeaways from the LB's. Remember, our stalwart guy for INT's, Forced Fumbles and Recovered Fumbles was Kiko. He wasn't replaced. I predicted that we'd be drafting a new LB high next year to fill that gaping hole in the LB corps with someone who could generate Bill Belichick's #1 statistic--Turnover Differential.

Bill Belichick funnels the runs inside and has LB's who stop the run. He prioritizes takeaways more than yardage. We proved we're fundamentally bad at both. These need to change for this very effective defense to work. It has to start with LB's who can stop the run and produce takeaways … and our current LB's cannot do either.

So I really do know just how bad things are talent wise (14 new players in the last week and 18 undrafted players on the roster), but I actually deluded myself into thinking we had a serviceable D that would get coached up. When the Clowney trade for Tunsil was being talked up constantly I was like "hmm maybe the D is a pass rusher and two pieces away from being half decent but I still wouldn't do it" And I watched a little pre-season and was reassured that the team seemed more prepared than under Gase where they seemed to take the first quarter and 1/2 of the second off before playing.

I knew we would lose today. I expected to lose 13-14 games this year. I was NOT prepared for the defensive "performance" today. If you told me we lost 35-3 today I would say, ok I get it. But our secondary, our entire defensive performance - especially early when they were not yet completely tanked. It was atrocious. Who the people out there that were giving Flores credit for shutting down Rams in the Superbowl? I mean given our horrible losses to the Ravens over the recent past I don't think this was epic embarrassing like everyone is saying, but I did expect more from our defense/secondary, they don't look well coached. This worries me about Flores but its one game, lets see.
The defense looked pretty good in preseason, especially in run support. This was a terrible start.

Perhaps as fans we should have a little more respect for Miami's defense as they are on record setting pace...

944 points
6,078 Yards Passing
96 TD passes
Perfect 158.3 QB rating
4,240 Yards Rushing
32 Rushing TDs
10,288 Total Yards
128 Total TDs

Yes, I've been saying how bad our LB's are. Everyone was slagging Kiko last year and I kept telling people he was covering for other LB's blown assignments. Well, he wasn't there to cover for Baker and McMillan this year … and you saw the result. Yes Baker, the guy everyone thinks is on the verge of being an All-Pro (what a joke), is HORRIBLE at run defense … and we keep hoping he gets better, but he's definitely not there yet.

I cut Raekwon McMillan a little slack, because he was injured and not able to practice for so long, it's going to be harder for him to get adjusted to this defense. And, the defense is not really a good scheme fit for McMillan, so he's going to struggle more already. Eguaveon (sp?) flashed some plays, but he was very poor as well. The whole LB corps sucked.

And the most important statistic, we came up goose eggs. ZERO takeaways from the LB's. Remember, our stalwart guy for INT's, Forced Fumbles and Recovered Fumbles was Kiko. He wasn't replaced. I predicted that we'd be drafting a new LB high next year to fill that gaping hole in the LB corps with someone who could generate Bill Belichick's #1 statistic--Turnover Differential.

Bill Belichick funnels the runs inside and has LB's who stop the run. He prioritizes takeaways more than yardage. We proved we're fundamentally bad at both. These need to change for this very effective defense to work. It has to start with LB's who can stop the run and produce takeaways … and our current LB's cannot do either.

Bill Belichick ain't coaching this defense. He ain't picking the players, either.

I get where you're coming from, but I think the comparisons to Belichick and talk of the Patriots this and that needs to stop. We got what we got.

Why isn’t McCain in the slot and Minkah at FS? What happened to putting players in positions to succeed?

One of many red flags I have for Flores. Maybe he’ll switch it back but then wtf was he thinking in the first place???

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Belichick ain't coaching this defense. He ain't picking the players, either.

I get where you're coming from, but I think the comparisons to Belichick and talk of the Patriots this and that needs to stop. We got what we got.
Disagree, Belichick is our blueprint for Coach Flo's defense, and he's the guy who implemented it. Without that blueprint, we're just fingerpainting in kindergarten.

Back
Top Bottom