Long coming back for Miami? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Long coming back for Miami?

I never saw anything in this article that is different from what we read yesterday.

yet everyone reacts as if it is. too funny. how can anyone judge anything with any credibility when you dont even know what your reacting to?

And besides, its not like Jake had a complete disaster of a year. He really just had a couple of bad games. He didnt live up to his own standards. So he had a new system he had to deal with with diff snap counts and plays, but its not like he was god awful at it.

I hate the idea of Long leaving but also hate 10 mil a year. I'm hoping 8 mil with a 16 games played bonus involved. I really don't like Martin at LT. RT he struggled and needed help consistently. I'm hoping he has the biggest jump in play other than Tannehill. As someone else posted I do not want to be the Cards next year and Ryan getting hit every play. 47 hurries is a ton given up by Martin. I hope Jake realizes that 8 mil with bonuses is more than generous and our line doesn't need to be totally overhauled. I would aim for a 4 year deal with the last year being a team option.

No one is going to pay him 8 mil a year to play RT and I highly doubt other teams haven't seen what we have seen. He's not worth more to anyone else but us. Also the teams with the most cap space are who? Us, Bucs-Have a LT, The Bills- have a LT but also have some big FAs to sign, Ravens-have their LT and some big guys to sign, Bengals and Browns have lots of space but have tackles. The biggest team that may come calling is the Bears. But are they really going to pay him over 8 mil?

Just so you realize, the team facility and jeff's office are co-located? why would it be so hard to believe that jeff and jake have had a couple conversations before some rehab about where they both stand? and you can be sure jeff has more than a passing curiosity about Jake's progress insofar as a possible contract goes.

Not even for the right price? What if he were to offer a home town discount?

I understand not overpaying, obviously. He hasn't played at an elite level in 2+ years, and doesn't deserve to be paid as an elite LT because of that.

But if I could get a good deal on him, then I might think about it.
Again, if it's anything remotely unreasonable, then I'd say bye-bye and thanks for your service.

The thing is even if he didn't want something in the 8-12 million range id say he played at a level worth only 3-4 million which is certainly not what he'll get in free agency. He was that bad. Good at run blocking but got beat by pass rushers of all shapes, sizes, and reputations.

Forget just getting beat by speed rushers, there were many times he was bullied and pushed around. Jonathan Martin filled the void and there was no drop off and he's a rookie with room to grow. Meanwhile jake long has gotten progressively worse. Combine that fact with his injury problem and that makes him an incredibly unattractive option. Just my opinion and I hope he proves me wrong if we do bring him back, but signing him to a long term deal at any amount of money will kill my enthusiasm for the upcoming season.

good luck getting him signed for $5 mil per...i think irelands gonna be willing to go double digits here...probably offer $10 mil per be willing to go to $12 mil...what a mistake that will be...i'd offer him no more and i mean no more than 2 years and $16 mil with an opt out after year one option for the team...

take it or leave it...i knew ireland had a soft spot for jake...3 of the last 4 years on ir...and i'm smelling a double digit per year offer coming...so much for all that cap space
I agree with you there, Hoops. I like Long a lot, but you've got to factor in the injuries when it comes to giving out big money. At this point $8 million a year seems a little high, but for 2 years that could work out.

hahahahahahahaha 5 million per what the **** do you think he has, some bargain basement free agent? You guys are flat out stupid with your contract #s sometimes

Can't stop speed rushers anymore? Jake never could stop speed rushers. Never.

Boy that's strange how he managed to have a year where he gave up .5 a sack, and less than 10 QB pressures. In an entire season. In a year where he faced the Colts, Texans, Jaguars... all of whom had speed pass rushers (guys who were known for getting to the QB incredibly fast) so maybe you're wrong. Shocking, considering your posting history...

I would like to see him back max $10mil a year. They obviously think he can still play or they wouldn't talk to him. Either he's your starter or he's not. If he's not then you don't even bring him back for league minimum. Move on. Obviously they feel he'll be back to form and this is just negotiation game-manship.

Boy that's strange how he managed to have a year where he gave up .5 a sack, and less than 10 QB pressures. In an entire season. In a year where he faced the Colts, Texans, Jaguars... all of whom had speed pass rushers (guys who were known for getting to the QB incredibly fast) so maybe you're wrong. Shocking, considering your posting history...

yeah.... Jake long sucks. Not elite anymore

Let him go. New England has dealt with players this way for a long time. There is a certain Moneyball approach that can be taken in situations like this. Especially in the Hard Cap NFL, where most teams spend close to the same amount of money, yet some teams finish 2-14, while other win 10+ games every year. It can't JUST be coaching or injury problems. At some level, it must boil down to massively overpaying players. Even if they perform at an elite level, they can still be over paid. Baseball's value over replacement player or VORP is an excellent method of evaluation in the NFL as well. Bottom line, Jake does not score TD's, and he does not produce TDs at an exponential rate versus any possible replacement. He can be lost at no extreme cost to the team on the field.

bring the pitch forks back out if he tags jake long...also watch out for a bad contract here...i could see a bad # here...

Anything Jake signs has to have injury riders involved unless he is willing to take a discounted contract. It has to be fair to both sides in this case, Long cannot come out saying he wants to be paid as the top LT in the league but he can say, I'll take a discount in year one because of my injuries but I want escalators if I hit certain milestones during the season.

I actually think that's a fair deal to both parties, it limits the liability to the team and gives Jake the chance to get paid as a top LT if he performs like one after his injury.

I honestly think it's time to look elsewhere after the season Long just had. Unless he takes a pay cut, he's not worth it in the long run.

A source tells the Miami Herald the Dolphins made a "low-ball attempt" to lock-up impending free agent LT Jake Long during the season.

The Dolphins have sent mixed signals on the former No. 1 pick, but it's clear they're not going to sign him to a deal his pre-injury reputation would have commanded. That could be a problem, as a team source tells the Herald Long "likes the idea of being the best at what he does and one way he proves to everyone that he is is by being the highest paid at what he does." According to the source, there's a "considerable amount of professional ego." With neither side sounding willing to negotiate on the other's terms, it's looking more likely Long will walk.- Rotoworld

Look if Ierland wants to keep his job he shouldnt over pay this bum and let him walk.

Back
Top Bottom