Long coming back for Miami? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Long coming back for Miami?

KevInMotion

Running @ 24 FPS
Reaction score
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rumors/post?id=586

However, with the Dolphins' offseason in full-swing, there now appears to be a chance that he'll be brought back. According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland has had numerous conversations with Long this offseason as the Michigan product rehabilitates his triceps injury at the team facilities. Ireland would not divulge any specifics regarding the negotiations on a new deal or his willingness to use the franchise tag on Long.

"It's one of those avenues we have there available to us," he said of the franchise tag. "To negotiate in the media right now, I'm not going to give you my plans or what I plan to do from a franchise standpoint but it's certainly available to us and we'll use those avenues to make those decisions moving forward ... we've got some tough decisions to make here moving forward."

The ESPN Article is for Insiders, but it also links to this Sun Sentinel article
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...iority-on-playmakers-20130122,0,5694451.story

I'm curious as to everyones take on Jake Long.

Do we want him back after 2 straight seasons with injuries which didn't allow him to play the full year?

If anyone does want Jake back, then what is the price that's fair/reasonable for both him and the organization?

Another concern is J. Martin, does anyone really think he will be able to replace Jake and anchor down the left side of the line??

I've heard this mentioned a couple times a while back that Jake Long's skills don't translate as well into Philbin's zone blocking scheme. If this is the case, then wouldn't it be beneficial to let Long go (hopefully get a return for him) and find someone who is tailored for zone blocks??

As for the article, I'm just passing a long some info that I read, and wanted to see how my fellow Fin Fans felt about the upcoming Jake situation.

bring the pitch forks back out if he tags jake long...also watch out for a bad contract here...i could see a bad # here...

And ALLLLLLL that cap room might look a tad bit different after all..... here we go fellas, its gonna be a wild ride one way or the other in the coming months. strap on in

They were always going to at least talk to him....

During Jeff Ireland's press conference last week, he said he wasnt going to comment on Jake Long because he's still "in a contract negotiation" wih him. There's no doubt Miami wants to bring Long back, but its all determined by how much money he wants.

If he doesn't fit the system, they should let him go. Not sure if it's possible, but a tag and trade would be nice in that case

I dont want Long resigned for anything over $5M a year. He's dropped from second ranked among tackels in the NFL, to 21st the season before last and 47th this past season...he was 32nd in pass protection with four sacks allowed and 10 hurries which put in in the bottom 10%. Why do we want him? He's not good enough in Pass or Run protection. This guy had never allowed a sack and only had one penalty in his college career but after his first year in the NFL, it's obvious that his best days are far behind him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jake Long signed to a long term deal is honestly the most tragic thing the Dolphins could do this offseason.

good luck getting him signed for $5 mil per...i think irelands gonna be willing to go double digits here...probably offer $10 mil per be willing to go to $12 mil...what a mistake that will be...i'd offer him no more and i mean no more than 2 years and $16 mil with an opt out after year one option for the team...

take it or leave it...i knew ireland had a soft spot for jake...3 of the last 4 years on ir...and i'm smelling a double digit per year offer coming...so much for all that cap space

if they're having back and forth convos already and good dialogue back and forth i'm guessing $8 mil per is on the table already...there wouldn't be much back and forth if he was offering $6 mil a year...we'll see...but i smell a $10 mil per meet in the middle thing here

They were always going to at least talk to him....

Thank you for bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

The topic has nothing to do with talking to him...... rather would YOU want him back next year or not? For how much, and why?? None of which you answered.

To me, tagging him is absolutely out of the question. Adam Schefter has stated that his franchise tag # would be $15.3 Million.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/03/report-dolphins-havent-ruled-out-tagging-jake-long/

That's way above reasonable in my book, and in no way is Jake worth that much. ESPECIALLY since he hasn't stayed healthy in 2+ years.

Anyone who signs this guy to a big money, long term contract should be terminated. He’s declined the past 3 years, he can’t stop the speed rushers anymore, and now he’s injury prone. His days of being an elite LT are over.

long needs to look in the mirror and realize his play has fallen off the last 2 years and he can't stay healthy...but i'm sure he's betting on some big spending owner and probably will find one if miami doesn't come correct...someone may sign him to very good money to play the right side in a power scheme...

i'll be surprised if he got less than $8 mil minimum offers as a free agent...

Do you think he's worth paying $10 million next year?

no...most i'd go is 2 years $16 mil with an opt out after year one for the team...which means he probably tests free agency...doubt he'd take it before he tested the waters...i said before 2 years $12 mil most i'd go but i'd up to the $16 mil provided i was given a clean get out of jail card after year one if i wanted it

if he signs with us before free agency i'm betting that # i gonna be ugly...at $10 mil per over say 4 years he probably doesn't test...at $8 mil per for 2 years he does...

Back
Top Bottom