Long Wait Ends For Robert Nkemdiche, Cordrea Tankersley | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Long Wait Ends For Robert Nkemdiche, Cordrea Tankersley

I've never been a fan of his, precisely because of this. He has all-world talent, with an incredible explosion coupled with real functional strength. He's literally a man among boys physically, and he's had plenty of good training … yet he still fails to produce. It's not a matter of talent, nor is it one fatal flaw. He's just plain lazy. He's never had to apply techniques, because he's sooooooooooooo much physically more dominant than everyone he plays against at every level. He believes he doesn't have to study and practice, because he's so naturally good. From the neck down, he's literally as good as you can find. But from the neck up … he's vacant and unwilling to be a worker. I was always 100% against drafting him, and saw him as an almost certain bust, which is exactly what he has been to this point.

But, if there is a time to take a chance on him, it's now, after he's been let go by his draft team, after he's failed to impress at the NFL level, and has now repeated his failure at the collegiate level. IF the switch is going to come on for the kid … this is probably the most likely time for it to happen. We spent nothing to get him, we've got nothing to lose, and we represent the realization that he has failed as a draft pick and possibly as a young NFL player. If he fails here, he'll likely kick around teams for a year or less at a time and then fade out of the league before his prime ends. We're not rock bottom for him, but this is the time young men tend to realize that they're faced with two choices, A) admit they're wrong and do what the coaches tell them they need to do to become a good player, or B) embrace inflated ego and laziness and march towards their own self destruction with false pride. Let's hope he sees these two choices and chooses option A.

A good example of that is Dante Fowler imo, Guy was not great with the jaguars but with his new team he is a beast DE not a ton of sacks yet but he gets pressure on near every passing down.. I could See Nkemdiche doing well at RE for us with his combo of Strength and Speed.. He could be the guy who sets the edge on Early downs and shutsdown running lanes from opening.

I've never been a fan of his, precisely because of this. He has all-world talent, with an incredible explosion coupled with real functional strength. He's literally a man among boys physically, and he's had plenty of good training … yet he still fails to produce. It's not a matter of talent, nor is it one fatal flaw. He's just plain lazy. He's never had to apply techniques, because he's sooooooooooooo much physically more dominant than everyone he plays against at every level. He believes he doesn't have to study and practice, because he's so naturally good. From the neck down, he's literally as good as you can find. But from the neck up … he's vacant and unwilling to be a worker. I was always 100% against drafting him, and saw him as an almost certain bust, which is exactly what he has been to this point.

But, if there is a time to take a chance on him, it's now, after he's been let go by his draft team, after he's failed to impress at the NFL level, and has now repeated his failure at the collegiate level. IF the switch is going to come on for the kid … this is probably the most likely time for it to happen. We spent nothing to get him, we've got nothing to lose, and we represent the realization that he has failed as a draft pick and possibly as a young NFL player. If he fails here, he'll likely kick around teams for a year or less at a time and then fade out of the league before his prime ends. We're not rock bottom for him, but this is the time young men tend to realize that they're faced with two choices, A) admit they're wrong and do what the coaches tell them they need to do to become a good player, or B) embrace inflated ego and laziness and march towards their own self destruction with false pride. Let's hope he sees these two choices and chooses option A.

Yes...coaching can also make all the difference in the world sometimes.....

How many examples do we have in the past of players Miami let go who became good football players in New England?

Digital 100% correct, was the consensus number 1 player coming out of high school in the nation that has done nothing but waist his talent thru his college and pro years, other players caught and surpassed him thru shear will and determination, taking a chance on him in the 1st round was beyond stupid and he should of dropped into the 3rd or 4th round. This isn't a guy who's in a scheme that didn't fit him, it's a guy who wanted to play and lived off shear raw talent.

Only way he sticks is he does a 180 degree about face and works his ass off and stops playing around, he still will never be the player who he once could of been but may end up average to good.....he gave up being great a long time ago. He is the 2nd coming of Dion Jordan who didn't hide it as well as Jordan did. There is a small sliver of hope he hasn't destroyed his body, the S Fla. heat is unforgiving so we will know.

Last edited:
Nkemdiche was a monster at Ole Miss. I know he had some issues with substances, attitude etc. If he takes this chance seriously as his last chance he can be a good player. Hope he put it all behind him and we turn this reclamation project into a good player

Yes...coaching can also make all the difference in the world sometimes.....

How many examples do we have in the past of players Miami let go who became good football players in New England?
Yes, part of those good coaches is an incredible personal ability to reach guys who couldn't be reached by literally dozens of capable coaches in the past. That's a personality trait that not many coaches have, and it's not just rare, it's potentially game-changing. But that trait is present in less than a half dozen coaches around the league for each player … because not every player can be reached by any one coach. The Bengals entire staff was particularly good at it, and it helped them consistently take bad citizens and turn them into athletes who came close to reaching their potential for the Bengals. Many of those same players would have been complete busts on most other rosters. Who knows … maybe we have a coach here that can reach him. I'm hoping we do … but I need to see some of that actually happening before I can really make that leap of faith.

This season is about finding those gems, so heck yeah, let's take a flyer on the kid, the cost is low and the potential reward (although fairly remote) is very high. So what if we lose a few games while he figures himself out in the world. We're tanking … that's A-OK this year … but that's not going to last much past this year, IMHO.

Just wait til he gets 5 catches in a game for the first time. You are going to lose it with excitement

Well! He's already accomplished considering you and other said he wasn't even capable of ONE catch.
The kid is only going to get better with more opportunities.
The coaching staff are only going to feed him more.

Instead of embracing it, admitting you were wrong, and moving forward you want to continue with the silly post.

Well! He's already accomplished considering you and other said he wasn't even capable of ONE catch.
The kid is only going to get better with more opportunities.
The coaching staff are only going to feed him more.

Instead of embracing it, admitting you were wrong, and moving forward you want to continue with the silly post.

I said he wasnt capable of 1 catch? No I didnt. I am merely frustrated with a guy who has underperformed his entie pro career thus far. I truly hope he matures into best TE we have ever had but I do feel that is highly unlikely.

I just think its funny that you think he has already put it all together and that people criticizing him are wrong, when he hasnt. He has a long way to go.

Single word:

Motivation.

This Is where I think our coach might have the talent to inspire young undisciplined men, he will get in your bleep..

This dude could be a real nice piece if he gets inspired to work, learn the game, and play hard..

Lots of ifs but it’s a good test for Flores

Nkemdiche was a fantastic pick up and fits Flores system perfectly as a pass rushing 3-4 end.

Really looking forward to watching him play.

Considering we only have 3 actual defensive linemen on the active squad right now....he's likely to get some decent snaps. I've never seen a team with so few.

Godchaux, Jenkins and Wilkins.

Back
Top Bottom