Looking ahead to the 2021 FAs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking ahead to the 2021 FAs

AP is a rare player. In his prime he was the type of back that could grind it between the tackles and/or take it to the house on any play.

The point remains that age and mileage have gotten the best of him.

I agree with drafting your RB room and filling it out with free agents. We could easily draft 2 RB's this year, one with picks 3 or 4 and another a few rounds later.

I think we'll double dip at LB and RB in this draft.
I've said this before... but the difficulty with drafting 2 RBs in the same year is in the rostering of them.

I mean, we don't have much in this area, but the target for a roster is, at most, 5 running backs. Ahmed and Gaskin both look good enough to keep, and Laird is a good special teams guy/3rd down back. I know that none of them are great, but after we bring in a guy on day 2 to be the new starter... the room is already a bit crowded.

If we take a second guy in the draft, then we almost have to roster him. Trying the waive/practice squad routine is problematic; he might get claimed.

Now... a 7th rounder/UDFA makes a bit more sense to me.

Now... just a stab... so don't kill me.

A room where we have a shiny rookie to start (Etienne, Harris, Gainwell etc.), an Aaron Jones type as a mid-priced free agent to back up said rookie... and Ahmed, Gaskin, and Laird to catch passes, play specials, and give some speed relief...

That looks like a pretty good room. I'd make an offer to Jones and see what happens. I don't think he goes back to the Pack, they are in cap Hell.

I've said this before... but the difficulty with drafting 2 RBs in the same year is in the rostering of them.

I mean, we don't have much in this area, but the target for a roster is, at most, 5 running backs. Ahmed and Gaskin both look good enough to keep, and Laird is a good special teams guy/3rd down back. I know that none of them are great, but after we bring in a guy on day 2 to be the new starter... the room is already a bit crowded.

If we take a second guy in the draft, then we almost have to roster him. Trying the waive/practice squad routine is problematic; he might get claimed.

I have nothing against any of our guys, but none are so valuable that that we need to worry about roster spots. Jags. That's not a knock, just reality.

Normally i'd agree with not drafting 2 RB's but our room is pretty barren. I wouldn't feel good about being one injury away from being in essentially the same running game situation as we are now.

Now... just a stab... so don't kill me.

A room where we have a shiny rookie to start (Etienne, Harris, Gainwell etc.), an Aaron Jones type as a mid-priced free agent to back up said rookie... and Ahmed, Gaskin, and Laird to catch passes, play specials, and give some speed relief...

That looks like a pretty good room. I'd make an offer to Jones and see what happens. I don't think he goes back to the Pack, they are in cap Hell.
The issue to me is term. I don't really want to end up with dead cap space at the end of the deal.

I have nothing against any of our guys, but none are so valuable that that we need to worry about roster spots. Jags. That's not a knock, just reality.
There is a certain amount of truth to that... though, the three are all young.

Dumbest idea ever to pay a free agent running
You draft them every four years and run em into the ground then wash rinse and repeat

Like Howard and Breida? Look, I'm not opposed to drafting RBs, but Flo has shown he's OK with FAs

He ran tough, put up some nice gains... even though Houston KNEW he was going to get the ball. Not bad for a 35 year old running back.

Imagine what he could have done at 28... which is about the age that any FA that we bring in will be.

Those that say, never bring in a FA RB, they always suck... are wrong.

If they'd say, "never bring in a high-priced free-agent," then I'd agree with them. That isn't smart. But bringing in a guy to get 10-12 carries, for a reasonable sum... that is a perfectly sensible decision.
Draft a RB. No FA.

Don't know who will actually end up making it to free agency, but my hope is Miami can pick up a running back upgrade at a reasonable price.
I was leaning toward Fournette...but he looks bad on Tampa Bay. I'd make a reasonable offer to Leveon Bell and draft a RB in the 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom