Looking at our Offensive Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking at our Offensive Line

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the combinations that the dolphins are looking at..I think we talked about it a little on an earlier thread. but I don't know if we ever came to a consensus on who we throught should be the starting 5 plus TE..This is what I think.

LT(Dixon) LG(Nails) C(Ruddy) RG(Searcy) RT(Wade) TE(Mayes)

I've thought about Weaver and I think Mayes is more talented. I have to keep my fingers cross because of his antics.

My Second choice is.
LT(Smith) LG(Dixon) C(Ruddy) RG(Searcy) RT (Wade) TE(Weaver)

Backups: T(Spriggs) G(Todd) (Andrews) C(McKinzie)

What do you guys think?

Basically agree w/you on OL, except I would like to see Nails vs. Perry at LG during PS first.

For TE, Mayes has remind us too much of Johnny Mitchell and Eric Greene to expect anything from him, while Weaver showed some greatness as a receiver and is not worse a blocker than Jay Novacek was for Norv

Also, I am not sure whether we will keep 8 or 9 OLmen -read it awhile ago. Last year - we had Andrews, Swayne and ?, but only 8.

Originally posted by BillsMan80
You'd better hope Jamie Nails isn't starting or else the rush to food table will be on.
if you followed Nails plight since sitting out last year, he has greatly impressed caaches with work ethic and gotten down to 340 :rolleyes:

Key word...DOWN to 340...he was previously at around 370 or 380...trust me...the only talent Nails has is seen at the Buffet Table.

He's been exceptionally impressive in camps and, for a man his size, 340 is a very good number. If he can drop 15-20 more lbs he would be unstoppable.

Once the pads go on Nails will be lucky to only lose 15 - 20 pounds in the Miami heat.

Someone needs to remind our Bills friend here how much Mike Williams weighs

This is true of Nails, that he's down in his weight and moving well. I think he rededicated himself and became more displine this year..By the way Bills..he started for you guys and wasn't that bad, but in the cold he balloon..In the Miami heat, his weight will stay down just standing out there..Plus all we want him to do is bulldoze your DL and he weights enough to do that.. He also knows the Dolphins will get rid of him like they did before if his weight goes unchecked. You guys took him, remember.

I have yet to see J. Nails in action this off-season. I plan on going to most of the Training Camp sessions, and then I'll make my personal decisions on him.....

From what I've heard thus far, he is impressing.

J. Nails is either going to have to play solid, or find another team. He can't continue to stay ineffective very much longer. If he doesn't get into playing shape, and perform at a solid level, he'll be gone....

As for our OL....

They have been working very hard. All of the off-season criticism seems to have sparked a well needed fire.

The players returning from injury are in a must produce situation right now. LT is a problem, but LG M. Dixon can fill that spot if need be.

T. Ruddy, T. Perry, B. Smith, and M. Spriggs are on the hot seat. If these guys don't improve, they will be gone next year.

B. Smith didn't look very good at the mini-camps, but I expect Ruddy, and Perry to be much better this year. Ruddy knows his job is in serious jeopardy, and T. Perry is going to have a very heated battle against L. Searcy. Signing him in will force T. Perry to bring his very best into Training Camp. The competition is high, and so are the expectations.....

Right now, if J. Nails is as looking as good as they say he is, I have a feeling it will look like this once the the season starts....

LT - B. Smith
LG - J. Nails
C - T. Ruddy
RG - L. Searcy
RT - T. Wade

If by some chance B. Smith or M. Spriggs come on strong during Training Camp, M. Dixon will stay at LG.

PHINZ RULE!!!!

THEY HAVE TO PERFORM!!! OR THE PHINS ARE SCREWED!!!

In evaluating this as logical as possible, I think there's no question that if the PHINS are gonna go far, these guys must PERFORM!!! They underachieved last year and they were worthy of the scrutiny!! There was absolutely no place for LAMAR to run and Ricky will not fare any better if there is no improvement! Hopefully Tony Wise and some of the shakeup in the roster will help!! Let's hope so!!:yell:

Originally posted by BillsMan80
Key word...DOWN to 340...he was previously at around 370 or 380...trust me...the only talent Nails has is seen at the Buffet Table.

He was actually around 400lbs this time last year. So he's lost 60lbs and recommitted himself.

If there is anything you should know about Wanny is that he doesn't tolerate BS. If Nails actually does earn a starting job it would have to qualify as the comeback of the year.

Miami players most often have to worry about keeping players' weight UP during the season rather than down. I don't think Nails will have a problem while the season is on. Its during the offseason he has a tendancy to balloon, and for that reason it seems hard to be comfortable with counting on him for multiple years without him getting a little bit too comfortable and showing up to camp at like 400 lbs.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

I don't think Dixon will move to LT. I see it as

LT (B Smith) LG(Dixon) C(Ruddy) RG(Perry) RT(Wade) TE(Mayes)

I believe it's status quo for now. If RW doesn't get yardage in pre season 1st quarter action behind Perry, Wade then they'll try Searcy Wade. I'd also like to see RW run left something that Gailey never did with Lamar.

I guess I'M LOOKING AT WHAT COULD BE OUR STRONGEST LINE.
I hope Miami shakes it up..lets really see. At least try Dixon at LT and lets see this line try..

Are you listening MIAMI

Lets look at it this way:

Dixon: best oLineman we have, versitile: less pressure on his repaired leg..same as DG playing DE

Nails: Big, take up space in the middle, keeps pressure off Jay

Ruddy: hopefully a rebound year and play like a pro bowler again.

Searcy: Moble, big, strong, PBowler, force to be reckon with.

Wade: big and aggressive.

Do any of our other linemen give us the same things?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom