Looking at the O-Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking at the O-Line

xiidaen

FinHeaven.com Evangelist
Reaction score
With news that Miami is still pursuing Hudson Houck in today's papers, it makes me revisit an idea I had a lot of hope for last season: Jason Ball.

I think this season many were concerned with the way McKinney handled the Center position. In fact, after a year of claiming anyone would be better than Ruddy, everyone suddenly wanted Ruddy back again.

When word came out that we picked up Ball off waivers, I was excited about the move. I hoped that Ball at Center and McKinney at RG would really improve the line.

It will be interesting to see how Houck addresses the entire line issue. Does he see enough talent at the interior line positions? Does he push hard for an upgrade at LT or does he believe MacIntosh can do better with more recovery time? And, if Ball recovers from his injuries, do we look at him for Center again? I've heard the name Wilkinson spoken as a draft target as well, so there are lots of possibilities.

I think the line improved as the season went on, but an upgrade at the center position would really solidify things for next season.

Any thoughts?

I think they'll tender McKinney the minimum and persue a center in the draft. Ben Wilkinson would certainly be a guy Saban would pointpoint.

There's always the possibility of shifting Rex Hadnot to center. But Rex has far more experience at guard.

I thought Ball failed his physical and that was the end of him?

Anyway, I'm still not sure why we're not looking at St. Clair as a C. Yes, he played pretty well at RT, but we've got Vernon Carey, and it's time to see what he can do. St. Clair's played center, and was excellent at it in college.

Then again, since we signed him to a one-year deal, maybe St. Clair played himself out of the price range we'd want to pay him and will cash in as a free agent.

Actually, St. Clair is under contract thru 2005. So we've got him for at least another year.

If it were me, I'd consider moving Carey inside. If they're set on having St. Clair outside, then you've got to get Carey inside somewhere (assuming he decides to give 100%). He's just too big and strong (and athletic) to just sit on the bench another game.

Hadnot weighed about 340 last year. That's too big for a center IMO. What you do with him, I don't know. Perhaps he starts again. But it seems like we've got a glut of guys on the right side. And Carey is the most talented of them. Yet he's the only guy who didn't earn a start on merit.

It's gonna be interesting to see how things shape up.

I like Ball. I don't see the downside to having him in minicamps - and maybe training camp - if he's healthy.

When healthy, he brings some much-needed attitude to a line's play. These guys we have now are much, MUCH too blasé about the game.

Back
Top Bottom