Looking at the schedule...could the Dolphins get off to a hot start? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking at the schedule...could the Dolphins get off to a hot start?

The Goat

Escape Goat
Club Member
Reaction score
I know.

They got their asses handed to them he first two games of last season

BUT.

Could they get off to a hot start this year?

Hear me out.

Week 1: At the Pats:

Jarret Stidham's first start. Pats are notoriously slow starters in transition years. Warm weather. A win here isn't out of the question.

Week 2: Home vs. the Bills:

Here's the really fun one. Guess what, campers? If there's a 2020 season...Ed Oliver isn't going to play in this game. Tough. Bills will be favored by a nickel.

Week 3: At the Jaguars:

The Dolphins are winning this game.

Week 4: Home for the Seahawks:

This is the game. This is the one that I keep circling on my calendar and saying "This is the game where we see where the **** this team is at."

You know why?

Because Seattle is a good team. But this is a very, very long trip. And Seattle NEVER travels well to Miami. And Miami has 9 days off after beating Jacksonville. This is the game where I take the points and make my bets.

Week 5: At San Francisco:

The Dolphins are losing this game.

Week 6: At the Broncos:

Here's the thing. The Broncos defense is very good. Their offense isn't.

I like Drew Lock. But are you willing to look at this game and say "there's no way the Dolphins can win this?" Because I'm not.

Week 7: Home for the Chargers:

Again, a West Coast team coming to Miami. Is this a lock win? No. But...vs. Tyrod Taylor or Herbert? I feel pretty good about this.

Week 8: Home for the Rams:

I know. It's the Rams. But at this point, the O-Line should be gelling, and the additions to the team should be working well. And again...another West Coast team traveling to Miami.

I mean, I'm just going to write off the SF game. But is it crazy to think they're 5-3 at midseason? I really don't think that's outlandish at all.

the complete lack of OTAs + [whatever they have for TC] + a super young team
with like 38.8750% roster turnover = ruff start IMO.

and I'm totally OK with that.

season starts for us around week 6.

'21 is when we have some fun!

my opinion. of course.

BNF

I know.

BUT.

Hear me out.

Jarret Stidham's first start. Pats are notoriously slow starters in transition years. Warm weather. A win here isn't out of the question.

Here's the really fun one. Guess what, campers? If there's a 2020 season...Ed Oliver isn't going to play in this game. Tough. Bills will be favored by a nickel.

This is the game. This is the one that I keep circling on my calendar and saying "This is the game where we see where the **** this team is at."

You know why?

Because Seattle is a good team. But this is a very, very long trip. And Seattle NEVER travels well to Miami. And Miami has 9 days off after beating Jacksonville. This is the game where I take the points and make my bets.

I like Drew Lock. But are you willing to look at this game and say "there's no way the Dolphins can win this?" Because I'm not.

Again, a West Coast team coming to Miami. Is this a lock win? No. But...vs. Tyrod Taylor or Herbert? I feel pretty good about this.

I know. It's the Rams. But at this point, the O-Line should be gelling, and the additions to the team should be working well. And again...another West Coast team traveling to Miami.

I mean, I'm just going to write off the SF game. But is it crazy to think they're 5-3 at midseason? I really don't think that's outlandish at all.

It's all perspective. I've posted elsewhere, every one of those teams has the Miami game marked as a W and back it up with their logic. It's the season for optimism.

As for my opinion (and I'm going to ignore C10 since it makes things REAL messy), I'm not as optimistic. It is difficult to overestimate the importance of a cohesive OL. Likely 4 new starters who won't know the first names of the other 4 (I exaggerate). Yes, some will be vets, but that means the rookies will have to learn NFL speed, NFL-level stunts, ets, AND get comfortable with the others. Doesn't guarantee any losses, but it does temper my enthusiasm. On D, it is reasonable to see 6-8 new faces (some being vets), who will have to get past 'thinking' on assignments and just reacting. And few rookies play well the first few games - an NFL O is a lot different.

I'll say this, you offer some valid points. I don't think any of those games (sans SF) have a chance of being blowouts and close games wouldn't surprise me. Still, I'm predicting 6-8 wins due to a slow start. I hope you prove me wrong.

It's all perspective. I've posted elsewhere, every one of those teams has the Miami game marked as a W and back it up with their logic. It's the season for optimism.

As for my opinion (and I'm going to ignore C10 since it makes things REAL messy), I'm not as optimistic. It is difficult to overestimate the importance of a cohesive OL. Likely 4 new starters who won't know the first names of the other 4 (I exaggerate). Yes, some will be vets, but that means the rookies will have to learn NFL speed, NFL-level stunts, ets, AND get comfortable with the others. Doesn't guarantee any losses, but it does temper my enthusiasm. On D, it is reasonable to see 6-8 new faces (some being vets), who will have to get past 'thinking' on assignments and just reacting. And few rookies play well the first few games - an NFL O is a lot different.

I'll say this, you offer some valid points. I don't think any of those games (sans SF) have a chance of being blowouts and close games wouldn't surprise me. Still, I'm predicting 6-8 wins due to a slow start. I hope you prove me wrong.

6 to 8 wins is a fair assessment considering where we're at and the schedule we have to play IMO.

I know.

BUT.

Hear me out.

You know why?

Totally can happen. Unlike anyone helping you by clicking on your signature to help you in MM against LOCO!!!

I’m very optimistic. Heck, it’s the off-season. What else are we going to talk about other than depressing non-football events?

But that “No OTAs” door swings both ways. Remember, the Pats are going to have new faces on the OL, plus a new QB AND a new OL coach.

I’m very optimistic. Heck, it’s the off-season. What else are we going to talk about other than depressing non-football events?

But that “No OTAs” door swings both ways. Remember, the Pats are going to have new faces on the OL, plus a new QB AND a new OL coach.

Yep. every team will have to deal with C19 and of-season changes. I doubt anyone can project the affect. That's why I didn't go there and why I'm not ruling out a fast start.That said, I expect teams with new HCs/new systems/significant changes to do worse than the opposite teams.

Yes. Everyone needs to remember that all of the other teams are dealing with similar issues. However, we are fielding around 11 new starters but so are the Pats after they got looted.

Maybe, but didn’t we start 3-0 in Gase’s last season?

Could we? Sure. As long as its the start of a hot streak for Tua which ends with rookie of the year and a trip to the Pro bowl.

But in reality it will be Fitzpatrick. Who is due to come back to earth after a good run, just like he did with both the Jets and Bucs

Maybe, but didn’t we start 3-0 in Gase’s last season?
It's really like trying to compare a nice ripe mango to your friend Ted who drinks too much Gentleman Jack and then loves to belt out his version of Cat Scratch Fever in pig latin while dancing Mambo Number 5.... Not really anything to compare yet both are interesting.

I see Tua starting the season ... so 5-3 as stated at the midpoint isn't out of the question IMO ....

I'm looking for 10 wins so a solid start is going to be necessary in order to get there.

Tua starts game 1 ... the running game is dangerous with Breida in the mix ... and with Wilson and Grant (speed/quick hits) across the middle or quick outs the offense could be fun to watch ...

Defense will improve but the shoot outs we could get into may mask some of their progress ... this offense does not have the ground and pound look to me ....

Back
Top Bottom