Looking Back | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking Back

Interesting that at QB we picked craft/skill over pure athlete, but at WR we picked the opposite. In general I think that is correct for the respective positions, within reason.
IMO the NFL tendency to pick the athlete over craft/skill at QB is why the first round bust rate for QBs is so high.

I disagree. Hunt is above average and Jackson is only 23. He could be a pro bowler in the making and we don’t know yet. I do think he will be a perennial starter at the very least. Which automatically qualifies as average-good. Davis is being overshadowed by two great big men up front. But he is still quality.
I doubt any NFL scout or coach would look at Hunt and rate him as average.

I mean ok. If that's what you think. Just remember how our line operates when LT is out of the lineup. They're average, below average players IMO. Davis had a good rookie year and where's he been since? Either way, we are talking about average players compared to what we know of great players still on the board when we picked.

I’m expecting Jackson to be improved. I felt like he was turning the corner last season. Hunt is rated as the 17th best guard and he is equally good in the run game as he is a a pass blocker. That puts him 17 out of 64 starters. I would say that’s above average. And Seiler is a beast. Along with Wilkins, they don’t need Davis to be anything more than depth. He doesn’t play the same role as Wilkins and Sieler though. He takes on blockers and holds his ground. So his production doesn’t show. But he obviously does his job because he plays 30-50% of the defensive snaps every week.

IMO the NFL tendency to pick the athlete over craft/skill at QB is why the first round bust rate for QBs is so high.
I fully agree. There are so many QB busts you can see coming a mile away but tools guys are always getting drafted under the belief that a team can develop them like Josh Allen.

Would anyone really be surprised if Richardson busts? I mean really? There's no guarantees he will bust or not but if he does bust it was easy to predict why well before he played an NFL game.

I’m expecting Jackson to be improved. I felt like he was turning the corner last season. Hunt is rated as the 17th best guard and he is equally good in the run game as he is a a pass blocker. That puts him 17 out of 64 starters. I would say that’s above average. And Seiler is a beast. Along with Wilkins, they don’t need Davis to be anything more than depth. He doesn’t play the same role as Wilkins and Sieler though. He takes on blockers and holds his ground. So his production doesn’t show. But he obviously does his job because he plays 30-50% of the defensive snaps every week.
Yeah, hopefully Hunt is on edge to becoming better. Hopefully that works out like we hope it does. Davis is still a question mark though. I think that's what dude was referring to when he said that about the 2020 draft. We shouldn't have the ?s. But I mean it is the NFL and continuity goes a long way, so hopefully they all turn the corner for our sake!!

This thread is called Looking back and looking back, Amon St. Brown was a steal and great value for the Lions in the 4th freaking round!! The people trying to justify Waddle and coughing up the 15th overall pick in the 2022 draft is laughable. Waddle is NOT a Megatron type player.

The Dolphins could have had any one of Slater (who is an all pro @ LT) , Parsons (another All-Pro), Smith or maybe be even Waddle (because we don't know how far he would have fallen had Miami not drafted him @ 5) by staying put @ 12.

I‘ll take anyone of Parsons, Slater or Smith and then take Pickens the following year @ 15 over just Waddle. 🤦‍♂️

This thread is called Looking back and looking back, Amon St. Brown was a steal and great value for the Lions in the 4th freaking round!! The people trying to justify Waddle and coughing up the 15th overall pick in the 2022 draft is laughable. Waddle is NOT a Megatron type player.

The Dolphins could have had any one of Slater (who is an all pro @ LT) , Parsons (another All-Pro), Smith or maybe be even Waddle (because we don't know how far he would have fallen had Miami not drafted him @ 5) by staying put @ 12.

I‘ll take anyone of Parsons, Slater or Smith and then take Pickens the following year @ 15 over just Waddle. 🤦‍♂️
So what your saying is... your not happy?!! Lol. I'm joking. But seriously, you bring an interesting point. There are so many ways that draft could have went. I would have liked the extra 1st round pick too but even if we stayed at 12 there is no guarantee Waddle would've been there. We know Smith was taken at 10, so we wouldn't have had him. Yes slater and Parsons were there for the taking but if you remember we had absolutely no receivers the year prior. None!! We needed one badly. Now we have the best WR duo in the game. Who cares about Pickens in 2022, we got fricken Tyreek Hill!!!

I don't agree. IMO Waddle and Smith are pretty equivalent. Smith clearly has better hands and is better at contested catches while Waddle has better speed and uses that speed well. Coming out Smith was a better route runner, but IMO Waddle's route running has improved and closed the gap a bit.
He’s a good player, I just don’t think he’s as explosive as Waddle

So what your saying is... your not happy?!! Lol. I'm joking. But seriously, you bring an interesting point. There are so many ways that draft could have went. I would have liked the extra 1st round pick too but even if we stayed at 12 there is no guarantee Waddle would've been there. We know Smith was taken at 10, so we wouldn't have had him. Yes slater and Parsons were there for the taking but if you remember we had absolutely no receivers the year prior. None!! We needed one badly. Now we have the best WR duo in the game. Who cares about Pickens in 2022, we got fricken Tyreek Hill!!!

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

So was this a Flo pick or Grier? Everyone says we can't blame Grier because he does what his coaches want 😳

Could be wrong, but Flo seems more to me like someone that if he said he wanted a certain guy, it would be defense, if anything, he might have just told Grier Miami needed a receiver, with Grier having to figure out who was best.

Personally I have a huge feeling if Flo asked for any player, it might have been Micah Parsons (Which if he did, I also could not fault Flo thinking that way with as great a LB as he is).

Who knows if Flo did ask for Parsons, but thanks to all the bad attitude press he got, Grier just decided to go with the safer pick of Waddle.

He’s a good player, I just don’t think he’s as explosive as Waddle
He isn't as explosive, but he has better hands. They each have strengths and weaknesses relative to each other. That's why they are basically equivalent players. Liking one over the other is about personal preference. One is not "clearly" better than the other.

Back
Top Bottom