Looks Like Smith At #2 -- Or Trade??? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looks Like Smith At #2 -- Or Trade???

Surferosa said:
Think of it this way:

If he wants to draft a Smith at #2, and he knows the team drafting before him is also considering him, why does he suddenly mention it to the world ONE WEEK before the draft? It makes no sense, especialy coming from guy that super strict about bwing tight-lipped. It has to be to get someone elses attention.

That's what I was trying to say, especially since there are other noteworthy QBs in the later rounds.

BlueFin said:
Because it no longer matters, he is high on Smith, that will be his choice unless somebody knocks his socks off in a trade.

Somehow I think you are underestimatng the poker game being played here between the coaches/GM's around the league. Saban would be the LAST guy to reveal his true intentions. "Access" is the thing he said he hates most about the league - now suddenly hes willing to give away highly-important information for FREE? I just dont believe it. JMO.

But, as you said, no one can no for sure what hes thinking.

HelloMotto said:
I don't think he is just threatening to take a QB. He will take one if there is not a trade. I would be equally happy with a trade or smith. This years draft is finally a can't lose situation for us phin fans. Its about time. We can sit back and finally enjoy the fireworks and wait for the surprise. :)

I disagree. We most certainly CAN lose in this situation. In a few ways acutally. The biggest being taking Smith. I don't care how much Saban or Linehan likes him, we do NOT need him with our #2 pick, and I'm not even sold that he is top pick worthy, or that he can get BPA considerations. I can honestly say that, given the talent pool of QBs in this draft compared to any other position, if we take Smith (or Rodgers) I will be starting off with an immediate hatred for Saban, which I do not want to do because it was like Xmass twice for me when we signed him, he was my 3rd favorite college coach (behind Mack Brown of Texas and Pete Carroll or USC). IF we don't take a RB in round one, and I cannot stress IF enough, then it better be Edwards or Williams. Out of the big three positions (QB, RB, WR) I think QB is the deepest pool of talent in the draft and therefore does not merit us using our first round pick on one. And I have already made my case for RB over WR a million times over so I'm not gonna make it again. All I can say is that if we take a QB in round 1 (barring some MAGICAL deal where we get one of them AND Benson, Brown, or Caddy) I will be as heartbroken (if not more) as when Dave took freakin Jamar Fletcher that year...........

Surferosa said:
Somehow I think you are underestimatng the poker game being played here between the coaches/GM's around the league. Saban would be the LAST guy to reveal his true intentions. "Access" is the thing he said he hates most about the league - now suddenly hes willing to give away highly-important information for FREE? I just dont believe it. JMO.

But, as you said, no one can no for sure what hes thinking.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, I just think it boils down to this, he has made up his mind that if he stays at #2 he will pick Smith, if someone blows his socks off he'll trade down, I think its as simple as that. I think he's decided to throw it out there and see just how much someone will pay him to move off of Smith.

Agent51 said:
I disagree. We most certainly CAN lose in this situation. In a few ways acutally. The biggest being taking Smith. I don't care how much Saban or Linehan likes him, we do NOT need him with our #2 pick, and I'm not even sold that he is top pick worthy, or that he can get BPA considerations. I can honestly say that, given the talent pool of QBs in this draft compared to any other position, if we take Smith (or Rodgers) I will be starting off with an immediate hatred for Saban, which I do not want to do because it was like Xmass twice for me when we signed him, he was my 3rd favorite college coach (behind Mack Brown of Texas and Pete Carroll or USC). IF we don't take a RB in round one, and I cannot stress IF enough, then it better be Edwards or Williams. Out of the big three positions (QB, RB, WR) I think QB is the deepest pool of talent in the draft and therefore does not merit us using our first round pick on one. And I have already made my case for RB over WR a million times over so I'm not gonna make it again. All I can say is that if we take a QB in round 1 (barring some MAGICAL deal where we get one of them AND Benson, Brown, or Caddy) I will be as heartbroken (if not more) as when Dave took freakin Jamar Fletcher that year...........

Do you really think you know better than Nick Saban?

If he drafts him don't you think Saban has a good feeling about this kid?

I've been for a quarterback all along, everybody knows that, but I would trust Saban to make the right decision no matter who he was taking, why do some of you think you know better?

BlueFin said:
Do you really think you know better than Nick Saban?

If he drafts him don't you think Saban has a good feeling about this kid?

I've been for a quarterback all along, everybody knows that, but I would trust Saban to make the right decision no matter who he was taking, why do some of you think you know better?

Did I ever say I know better than Nick Saban? No, I didn't, nor have I heard anyone else say that. EVERYONE has their opinions and wants for this draft, and they express them. An OPINION does not mean we think we know better than Saban. I am arguing that I DO NOT want a QB in round 1, and that I will be heartbroken and very dissappointed in Saban if he picks one, I don't care if the kid is good or a bust, I don't want a round 1 QB. If I KNEW better than Saban allegedly does than I would be the coach, but I am not, therefore I am not saying I know better, I am stating an opinion. You say you have been pro-QB for awhile, so if Saban likes RB and you were dissappointed your guy didn't get picked am I to assume YOU think you know better than Saban? Because I wouldn't think that. But just for kicks, the coach DOESN'T always know best, nor make the right decision (ie, DAVE W)

testtubetimmy said:
quick question.

why is it that whenever a thread comes out that the topic may be discussed in another thread, people say "merge". I understand that we'd like one thread discussing each, but is it really neccesarry to simply type merge?

why not type what you think about the discussion, and leave it up to the web masters and whatnot to take care of it.

just a question.
Because if its talked about in another thread, with practically the same exact title, we dont feel like typing the same exact thing in this thread when people participate in the first thread. Theres no point in having the same exact discussion in 2 places.

hence MERGE!

Surferosa said:
Heres the thing, though:

Its unanimously agreed upon that Sabans first preference is to trade down. He's tryng to accoplish this by threatening to take a QB, in order to generate interest from other teams that also want a QB. Using this strategy, if he succeeds to trade down with a team desperate for Smith/Rogers, he can do so ONLY by giving up on the opportunity to draft a QB himself in round one.

From this, I deduce that he feels VERY strongly about one of the mid round QB's - Cambpell, Greene, Frye, Orton, Orlovsky, McPherson, or Walter.

So who is it?

I hope it's not love handles Orton, inaccurate Walter, side arm McPherson, or overwhelmed Frye/Orlovsky.

Agent51 said:

Your analysis of this draft is way off if you think this draft is deeper at QB than RB and if you were impressed with Orton and feel that he'll be a starter in the NFL.

finsnchips said:
whooaa... thats pretty big.

yep. http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/15/B...appy_Bill.shtml

Bucs eye unhappy Bills RB
A deal for Travis Henry, who lost his starting job, could change the club's draft focus.
By ROGER MILLS, Times Staff Writer
Published April 15, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Looking at a draft board with at least three top-level running backs, the Bucs could take one with the fifth overall pick.

Then again, they may get one via trade.

General manager Bruce Allen said he contacted the Bills on Wednesday about the possibility of acquiring running back Travis Henry, who has one year left on his contract but wants out of Buffalo.

"I spoke to the Bills," Allen said Thursday, careful not to elaborate.

Although the Bucs likely will speak to a number of teams over the next seven days, the possibility of acquiring Henry, a 5-foot-9, 215-pounder who has two 1,000-yard campaigns in four seasons, could seriously alter their approach on draft day April 23.

Should the Bucs pull off a trade, which likely wouldn't happen until next week, they could turn their attention to the two highly rated receivers, USC's Mike Williams or Michigan's Braylon Edwards, or can trade up to get either Utah quarterback Alex Smith or California quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Henry's agent, Hadley Engelhard, said he has had a discussion with the Bucs and anticipates further conversation.

General Tso said:
Your analysis of this draft is way off if you think this draft is deeper at QB than RB and if you were impressed with Orton and feel that he'll be a starter in the NFL.

You are absolutely right, I know nothing about the draft or football because I, like every other expert out there, think Orton will start someday in the NFL, but hey, what do people like Mel Keiper know anyway, pffff. And I stand by it being deeper at QB. What do we hae at RB, 2 over aged guys who should already be 3 and 4 year NFL veterans, 2 "top 10" RBs that have never been a feature back, one that has had a broken collarbone AND a broken leg, 1 "top 10" RB that everyone says has too much mileage on him. One guy who could be the next coming of barry sanders but nobody wants him because of that very fact, because he is too small, another RB that is even SMALLER than that. Outside round 1 the QB talent is deeper than the RB talent. INSIDE round 1 the RBs win out. But you MUST be right because your biggest gripe about a certain QB "that sucks" is his "love handles", cuz everyone knows THOSE can never be worked off..............

Void said:
yep. http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/15/B...appy_Bill.shtml

Bucs eye unhappy Bills RB
A deal for Travis Henry, who lost his starting job, could change the club's draft focus.
By ROGER MILLS, Times Staff Writer
Published April 15, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Looking at a draft board with at least three top-level running backs, the Bucs could take one with the fifth overall pick.

Then again, they may get one via trade.

General manager Bruce Allen said he contacted the Bills on Wednesday about the possibility of acquiring running back Travis Henry, who has one year left on his contract but wants out of Buffalo.

"I spoke to the Bills," Allen said Thursday, careful not to elaborate.

Although the Bucs likely will speak to a number of teams over the next seven days, the possibility of acquiring Henry, a 5-foot-9, 215-pounder who has two 1,000-yard campaigns in four seasons, could seriously alter their approach on draft day April 23.

Should the Bucs pull off a trade, which likely wouldn't happen until next week, they could turn their attention to the two highly rated receivers, USC's Mike Williams or Michigan's Braylon Edwards, or can trade up to get either Utah quarterback Alex Smith or California quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Henry's agent, Hadley Engelhard, said he has had a discussion with the Bucs and anticipates further conversation.

Id still be very surprised if someone gives up a second for Henry, when Alexander is on the market for the same price....

everyone is keeping an eye on salary cap i guess... for what its worth, on the Bucs message board most people think a 2nd is too much.

Agent51 said:
You are absolutely right, I know nothing about the draft or football because I, like every other expert out there, think Orton will start someday in the NFL, but hey, what do people like Mel Keiper know anyway, pffff. And I stand by it being deeper at QB. What do we hae at RB, 2 over aged guys who should already be 3 and 4 year NFL veterans, 2 "top 10" RBs that have never been a feature back, one that has had a broken collarbone AND a broken leg, 1 "top 10" RB that everyone says has too much mileage on him. One guy who could be the next coming of barry sanders but nobody wants him because of that very fact, because he is too small, another RB that is even SMALLER than that. Outside round 1 the QB talent is deeper than the RB talent. INSIDE round 1 the RBs win out. But you MUST be right because your biggest gripe about a certain QB "that sucks" is his "love handles", cuz everyone knows THOSE can never be worked off..............

It's not the flab factor that bothers me most about Orton, it's his inability to throw nfl passes accurately, his immobility, his lack of intelligence, and the fact that he was too lazy to work off the love handles prior to attending a shirtless job interview (shows a lack of desire to succeed in his profession). After a terrible week of practice for one of the college all star games one ESPN analyst who attended said he didn't feel Orton would even become a quality backup.

As for RB versus QB, you're the first person I've heard claim the QB class is deeper in talent. Most fans and the 'experts' believe RB is by far the deepest position in the draft. I think it may be the deepest RB draft of all time. There hasn't been a top ten RB selection for 4 years, but this year 3 may go in the first 8 selections. After that you've got Morency, Barber, Fason, Arrington, Harris, Shelton, Houston, Moats, Gore, McLendon, and others who all have a chance to be quality starters. The RB class has 13-14 potential starters, after Rodgers and Smith go there are only 2-3 QBs with a chance of becoming a quality starter.

Back
Top Bottom