Looks Like Smith At #2 -- Or Trade??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looks Like Smith At #2 -- Or Trade???

UncleJamFinFan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Here's the story: grains of salt not included --

Saban ready to deal at No. 2

spacer-1.gif

Dolphins coach Nick Saban has decided QB Alex Smith is the best pick at No. 2. But Saban is willing to trade down, sources say, and the Bucs are interested.
spacer-1.gif

[size=-1]BY ARMANDO SALGUERO AND JASON COLE[/size]
spacer-1.gif

[size=-1]asalguero@herald.com[/size]
spacer-1.gif

The Dolphins are focused on drafting Utah quarterback Alex Smith with the second overall pick, but Miami also is in discussions with at least one team about trading that selection.

One source said Thursday that coach Nick Saban has decided Smith -- not any of the likely available running backs such as Auburn's Ronnie Brown -- would be the best pick for Miami at No. 2, assuming California quarterback Aaron Rodgers is drafted by San Francisco.

But two league sources also confirmed the Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have discussed a possible trade involving both teams' first-round selections and other considerations.

The Bucs, who pick fifth overall, are apparently equally enamored with the idea of selecting Smith at No. 2. Tampa Bay's brain trust decided last weekend Smith is a better prospect than Rodgers.

The Bucs' interest became more serious Thursday after it seemed likely the 49ers will take Rodgers, leaving Smith available. The 49ers had contract discussions with Mike Sullivan, who represents Rodgers, on Wednesday, and the discussions reportedly laid a positive foundation for a deal.

Tom Condon, who represents Smith, was scheduled to fly to San Francisco on Thursday to try to lay a similar foundation for his client, but the league sources say that session doesn't offer the same prospect for success as the one with Rodgers' agent.

Assuming that scenario holds, the Bucs want to move up. But the price, as with all such trades, would be the subject of intense negotiations.

A FAIR EXCHANGE

The Dolphins, like all other NFL teams, have a trade-value chart that outlines the price for trading draft picks.

Saban said two weeks ago he would ''absolutely'' go by that chart in deciding the value of a trade.

And according to most such charts, Tampa Bay would have to give up its first, second and third-round picks this year to move up three slots to Miami's spot.

The teams also might discuss exchanging draft picks next year should the Bucs balk at making the three-for-one deal now.

The Dolphins also are going to try to involve other teams in the bidding process to drive up the price of a trade, although it is unclear whether any other team has stepped forward.

So what if that all fails?

Smith, who visited with Saban and other team staffers Wednesday and Thursday, according to Condon, is the apparent choice.

QB OR NOT QB?

Saban has said the quarterback is the most valued player on any team.

''That guy handles the ball every time, he makes a decision on every play,'' he said during the NFL owners' meetings last month. ``So it's a critical position in terms of not just stability but knowledge, experience, judgment, making good decisions and that type of thing.

``We feel we have some talented people on our team right now, but everybody has to prove they can play with consistency.''

That doesn't mean Smith is a can't-miss prospect. He played in a college offense that rarely used anything other than a shotgun spread formation. And Saban has bemoaned the odds of taking a quarterback with such an early pick.

''The history of drafting [successful] quarterbacks in the first round is a 30-percent hit,'' Saban said. ``I don't know what the odds are on a craps table in Vegas, but I know about that one.''

Link: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/11399551.htm

The Bucs are close to trading their 2nd for Travis Henry which could kybosh any value trade.

Boomer said:
The Bucs are close to trading their 2nd for Travis Henry which could kybosh any value trade.

unless we get picks next year too

Boomer said:
whooaa... thats pretty big.

quick question.

why is it that whenever a thread comes out that the topic may be discussed in another thread, people say "merge". I understand that we'd like one thread discussing each, but is it really neccesarry to simply type merge?

why not type what you think about the discussion, and leave it up to the web masters and whatnot to take care of it.

just a question.

This is obvious posturing on Sabans part. He knows promoting his interest in one of the RB's will not garner any trade interest, but pushing for a QB will.

Im STILL not really convinced that hes interested in QB. I really like the way hes handling the draft and FA.

testtubetimmy said:
quick question.

why is it that whenever a thread comes out that the topic may be discussed in another thread, people say "merge". I understand that we'd like one thread discussing each, but is it really neccesarry to simply type merge?

why not type what you think about the discussion, and leave it up to the web masters and whatnot to take care of it.

just a question.

Answer: TO DRIVE THEIR POST TOTALS UP.

Surferosa said:
This is obvious posturing on Sabans part. He knows promoting his interest in one of the RB's will not garner any trade interest, but pushing for a QB will.

Im STILL not really convinced that hes interested in QB. I really like the way hes handling the draft and FA.

Wise words from an old sage. :clap:

SCall13 said:
Answer: TO DRIVE THEIR POST TOTALS UP.
no... its to make the site more user friendly.

Who wants to look at the first page and see three threads all about the same topic... thats like three different conversations. The article has already been posted and this thread should be merged with the original thread.

They should be merged... hence 'merge'

The best chance Saban has of trading down is to convince everyone we are drafting Smith.Even if he cant convince them he could still draft Smith and then Trade him ala Manning/Rivers.I really believe he wants more picks.

CrunchTime said:
The best chance Saban has of trading down is to convince everyone we are drafting Smith.Even if he cant convince them he could still draft Smith and then Trade him ala Manning/Rivers.I really believe he wants more picks.

Yes, he wants more picks. But if he's stuck withthe second pick I believe he will take Smith. QB is more of a value pick. Even if Smith sits on the bench this season, if Feeley has a breakout year then you have Smith as wonderful trade bait. You will always get more for a young QB in a trade then you will with any other position.

Personally, I still the the only value at #2 is a QB...

CrunchTime said:

he may be right to say if we can't move out we'll take Smith because only a QB is worth the $$$ we have to pay the no. 2 pick.

Back
Top Bottom