Love this quote from Tua on Fitz | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Love this quote from Tua on Fitz

mrbunglez

Gator don't play no ****!
Club Member
Reaction score
This quote has me giddy and excited for the new young single caller.

"I have much respect for a guy like that," Tagovailoa said. "The way he takes care of his body, the way he takes care of things off the field. He's a coach in the meeting rooms for the offensive line, the receivers. I mean, he has the mindset of a coach but the heart of player."

I have the utmost respect for what Fitz has accomplished off the field as well.

With the number of kids he has, for sure he gets laid more than I do. And he still has the energy to play pro football! Or is that the reason he has the energy?

Whatever the case I like and respect Fitz. Well done sir.

Tua could learn a lot from Fitzpatrick, he could be an excellent mentor for the kid.

I am curious to see what Fitzpatrick does when his playing days are over. He went to Harvard so he should be too smart to go into coaching ( :) ), but I would offer him a front office position the day he retires.

And TV would be a no brainer for him as well.

Last edited:
Tua could learn a lot from Fitzpatrick, he could be an excellent mentor for the kid.

I am curious to see what Fitzpatrick does when his playing days are over. He went to Harvard so you should be too smart to go into coaching ( :) ), but I would offer him a front office position the day he retires.

And TV would be a no brainer for him as well.

i would guess he 's used to it by now

This quote has me giddy and excited for the new young single caller.

"I have much respect for a guy like that," Tagovailoa said. "The way he takes care of his body, the way he takes care of things off the field. He's a coach in the meeting rooms for the offensive line, the receivers. I mean, he has the mindset of a coach but the heart of player."
That is a good quote. I gotta say though, one of the very first things he said after being drafted showed his age. When asked about Fitzmagic Tua referenced how Fitz used to back up Jameis Winston ... as if Fitz's greatest accomplishment was somehow backing up Winston and learning from him. I get it, Tua has been focused on the college world, and in that realm Winston was truly exceptional. In Tua's eyes he sees backups as learning from starters, which is not a bad thing. But for a guy who has been strongly linked to us for many months, it was an incredibly naive statement. He should have known that Fitz outperformed Winston even in TB, and that Fitz was always the mentor never the student from the raw-but-talented Winston. That was a bit of a shocking comment, so I'm glad to see that the Dolphins people have helped prepare Tua with better media training than Dilfer and his people ... who clearly dropped the ball on that one.

Tua's a good kid and always respectful, so I'm glad to see he's back on the right path PR-wise. Now let's just hope he continues progressing in his rehab and stays healthy.

That is a good quote. I gotta say though, one of the very first things he said after being drafted showed his age. When asked about Fitzmagic Tua referenced how Fitz used to back up Jameis Winston ... as if Fitz's greatest accomplishment was somehow backing up Winston and learning from him. I get it, Tua has been focused on the college world, and in that realm Winston was truly exceptional. In Tua's eyes he sees backups as learning from starters, which is not a bad thing. But for a guy who has been strongly linked to us for many months, it was an incredibly naive statement. He should have known that Fitz outperformed Winston even in TB, and that Fitz was always the mentor never the student from the raw-but-talented Winston. That was a bit of a shocking comment, so I'm glad to see that the Dolphins people have helped prepare Tua with better media training than Dilfer and his people ... who clearly dropped the ball on that one.

Tua's a good kid and always respectful, so I'm glad to see he's back on the right path PR-wise. Now let's just hope he continues progressing in his rehab and stays healthy.

They possibly could have caught him off guard and he blundered into that statement. He is a young kid after all.

When we signed Fitzpatrick, I pictured something along the lines of what is happening now. We would draft a QB and while he seemed like he would be the best candidate to mentor a new QB. A smart journeyman with a gunslingers mentality but a veteran journeyman's know-how on preparing on and off the field. Bundle that with Fitzmagic's readiness to teach, I do not see anyone better when was available than Fitzpatrick.

They possibly could have caught him off guard and he blundered into that statement. He is a young kid after all.

When we signed Fitzpatrick, I pictured something along the lines of what is happening now. We would draft a QB and while he seemed like he would be the best candidate to mentor a new QB. A smart journeyman with a gunslingers mentality but a veteran journeyman's know-how on preparing on and off the field. Bundle that with Fitzmagic's readiness to teach, I do not see anyone better when was available than Fitzpatrick.
Well the "off guard" part I kinda can't believe, simply because we were the #1 most mocked team for him the entire offseason, really since before he got hurt. Surely ANY discussion of how to handle the media by Trent Dilfer's team had to start with how to handle being drafted by the Dolphins. We were the obvious choice. We were the omni-present link. Maybe he simply NEVER CONSIDERED he would be asked about how he saw himself fitting into the team, although I'm fairly confident that Saban briefs all his guys on that in the Alabama media training for guys expected to be drafted. Maybe he was simply aware of Jameis Winston from camps, saw him grown into a tremendous collegiate QB, and maybe even idolized him a little because he was the pinnacle of the college game and Tua's life for the past 6 or so years had been getting to and becoming a top collegiate QB. I'm good with all of that.

But at the end of the day, I just can't see Tua not having been briefed on how to handle it. Nor can I see him not having game-planned for it because he seems very well-prepared for just about everything else. He does his homework. Maybe he thought he could instill the confidence of his new teammates by acting like he had won the job? That's a mistake young guys can make, and is fairly easily forgiven. But at the end of the day, his injury is going to prevent him from competing day 1. The Coronavirus is going to prevent him from getting the reps he needs to compete for the starting job in game 1. It was a rookie mistake, and I'm sure it was already forgiven the moment it was said ... but it was a clear miss-step in one of his very first NFL PR experiences. So, I'm glad he's now gotten with the program. Good kid ... but after all, he's still a kid. Rookies have many lessons to learn and this is just one of them on what we all hope is a long and prosperous journey for Tua.

Tua referenced how Fitz used to back up Jameis Winston ... as if Fitz's greatest accomplishment was somehow backing up Winston and learning from him
Got a link?

Got a link?
Here's a link to the actual remote interview (16 mins long) and his answer comes at 7:45 into the video when he answers a Joe Schad question about Fitzpatrick. Note his voice inflection when he talks about how Fitzpatrick "has played behind Jameis Winston":
Tua's first audio interview after the draft

Here is a link to an article:
Tua talking about Fitz playing behind Jameis Winston

And here is the exact quote:
“Oh man, I would say it’s first off being able to understand the kind of person he is. I know he’s been a great leader.He’s been a great team player. you know and guys like that, he has played behind Jameis Winston and an opportunity to play here, he has so much knowledge of the game. It’s best that I pick him, nitpick him. Ask him about preparing for a defense and the difference between this and this. Just being able to question and learn under him is my biggest thing.”

Most of his answers seemed pretty straight forward ... why he mentioned Winston was the only one that raised an eyebrow. From what I've heard he's showing his leadership mostly and making a good impression.

Back
Top Bottom