Mac Jones most overated qb in the draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mac Jones most overated qb in the draft?

juniorseau55

Go Fins
Reaction score
I like to associate qb play with tangible qualities in the field. Mac Jones was a great college qb hands down but the fact he is now being discussed being picked top 10 or projected to the panthers makes me scratch myself a bit. Tua was the most operated qb according to many last season, but why can't we say the same for Mac?

He has some good qualities but all i saw was him throwing to wide open people last year.

He did not show the same skill level Tua showed at Bama, but he does seem to have good intangibles like leadership and being calm in the pocket and the huddle.

People are seeing Tom Brady in him and that is grossly unfair to the kid.

It's hard to say because I only saw him for one season. He exhibits a lot of very good traits that project to the next level in terms of concrete poise and laser accuracy. He'll stand in there and stare down the barrel of that pass rusher and take a hit in order to deliver a dime downfield. His eye level and mechanics are where they need to be.

He wasn't throwing to wide open guys at the Senior Bowl and I think that's what opened so many eyes. He was throwing some lasers into tight windows.

<

It's possible he's the most underrated. He's worked his ass off to get to this point. He never transferred and wouldn't shy away from competition. I'll never forget Mac Jones being on scout team and all he would do is throw bombs to Terrell Shavers for huge chunk plays and touchdowns. It pissed Saban off to the point he shouted "Stop throwing it to him all the time".

Mac yelled back at Saban "Tell your defense to stop it".

The kid has some moxie and isn't looking for the easy way out.

For me it's both of those quarterbacks. Trey Lance and Fabio.

However, I still believe Trevor deserves to be the first quarterback off the board. It's not a strong quarterback class. I think Trevor has plenty of tools and will likely make an average pro, but he's overrated based on the hype. He's been everything from the best QB prospect ever to the best since Peyton Manning to the best since Andrew Luck.

The reality is he's been overhyped ever since he made his name off one game against a bad Alabama defense where he faced no pressure and the receivers running wide open because the DB's were laying on the ground. A game where Tua was throwing pick sixes and Mike Locksley had no clue what he was doing. Since then Trevor has done absolutely nothing other than pad stats against bad competition and look like a complete goober against good competition. Followed by starting off his sophomore year by throwing 5 picks in his first 3 games.

In essence, right now he's a one read QB that looks great throwing up 50/50 balls on plays that he's already determined where he's going before the snap.

Better quarterbacks have faced far more scrutiny than he has. And I'm not sure why.

For me it's both of those quarterbacks. Trey Lance and Fabio.

However, I still believe Trevor deserves to be the first quarterback off the board. It's not a strong quarterback class. I think Trevor has plenty of tools and will likely make an average pro, but he's overrated based on the hype. He's been everything from the best QB prospect ever to the best since Peyton Manning to the best since Andrew Luck.

The reality is he's been overhyped ever since he made his name off one game against a bad Alabama defense where he faced no pressure and the receivers running wide open because the DB's were laying on the ground. A game where Tua was throwing pick sixes and Mike Locksley had no clue what he was doing. Since then Trevor has done absolutely nothing other than pad stats against bad competition and look like a complete goober against good competition. Followed by starting off his sophomore year by throwing 5 picks in his first 3 games.

In essence, right now he's a one read QB that looks great throwing up 50/50 balls on plays that he's already determined where he's going before the snap.

Better quarterbacks have faced far more scrutiny than he has. And I'm not sure why.

Lance is up there to me. Did you picture Herbert being a better pro that tua?

Lance is up there to me. Did you picture Herbert being a better pro that tua?

Absolutely not. I don't think he should be in the long run either. Herbert really has nowhere to go but down after his rookie year, and right now he appears to be more worried about his golf game. While Tua is working round the clock to get his body in shape.

Tua was coming off a devastating hip injury and had no OC to develop him. All he had was Fitzpatrick's senile uncle that had no interest in anything but calling plays for Fitzpatrick and no weapons. I think the final chapter for both is far from being written.

Back
Top Bottom