Magic interested in getting Deron Williams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Magic interested in getting Deron Williams

Buddwalk

The Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
While there's little doubt he'll be the fourth pick in the draft, the team Deron Williams will end up with is becoming one of the draft's biggest mysteries. Utah is one team we've reported hot on his trail. But Williams' latest workout for Orlando on Saturday is especially interesting considering everyone knows he'll be long gone by the time the 11th pick rolls around.

One possible trade scenario would have Orlando sending Jameer Nelson and their 11th pick (and possibly an additional protected first or player) to New Orleans to acquire the 4th pick to take Deron.

With Williams excellent size, strength, and defensive ability, he would be a perfect fit alongside Steve Francis.

New Orleans would like to add a number of talented players, so this deal could potentially help them fill a few holes.

This all happened in the recent workout in orlando deron had. This is actually really big news if this went down...But imo i think the hornets would definitely be making out the best right here

They would get there pg they wanted in Jameer Nelson [Great Scorer, hasnt really developed into playing as a pg yet] Then they could grab at 11 many different players, possibly Hakim Warrick or Joey Graham

Buddwalk said:
This all happened in the recent workout in orlando deron had. This is actually really big news if this went down...But imo i think the hornets would definitely be making out the best right here

They would get there pg they wanted in Jameer Nelson [Great Scorer, hasnt really developed into playing as a pg yet] Then they could grab at 11 many different players, possibly Hakim Warrick or Joey Graham

Williams has refused to workout for certain teams or against certain players.
But he works out for the Magic? I guess I could live it. :D

Nelson's a decent point, but trading him to move up 7 spots for Williams is a small sacrifice. If they can pull that off, that would be a perfect trade for Orlando. Williams is precisely what they need in a backcourt with Steve Francis.

phunwin said:
Nelson's a decent point, but trading him to move up 7 spots for Williams is a small sacrifice. If they can pull that off, that would be a perfect trade for Orlando. Williams is precisely what they need in a backcourt with Steve Francis.

Deron is a great point...like I said Nelson is a great scorer [has been all through college]

But Im sorry this still benifits the Hornets who need a pg and they get it and they still get a lottery pick

I got this off another message board.

One trade proposal has Orlando sending Cato, Stevenson, #11 to New Orleans for PJ Brown, Lynch, #4. Possibly a future conditional first from Orlando as well. Apparently New Orleans would like to rid themselves of those bigger salaries (Cato is an expiring deal) for use in the FA market next summer. Apparently this deal would be contingent on Felton being available for the Magic to draft at #11 (for them). If Felton is gone by #11, a backup plan could be to offer Jameer in the package and the Magic keep #11. That would be an interesting scenario as the Magic would then have to decide which of the 3 (Deron Williams, Gerald Green, Chris Paul) they'd want if they also have the benefit of #11 later.

Den54 said:
I got this off another message board.

One trade proposal has Orlando sending Cato, Stevenson, #11 to New Orleans for PJ Brown, Lynch, #4. Possibly a future conditional first from Orlando as well. Apparently New Orleans would like to rid themselves of those bigger salaries (Cato is an expiring deal) for use in the FA market next summer. Apparently this deal would be contingent on Felton being available for the Magic to draft at #11 (for them). If Felton is gone by #11, a backup plan could be to offer Jameer in the package and the Magic keep #11. That would be an interesting scenario as the Magic would then have to decide which of the 3 (Deron Williams, Gerald Green, Chris Paul) they'd want if they also have the benefit of #11 later.

Maybe...but i doubt all of that...this is how it'll probobly look

Jameer Nelson [Will be a starting PG], Cato [Backup C] #11 overall

for

PJ Brown, Lynch, and #4 overall

[Magics needs are PG, SF, and C]
Magic will proceed to select Deron Williams PG [Starting PG]
Orlando also has two second round picks that are early...in which they could package and move back up in the 1st round

[Hornets needs are PG, SF, and PF]
Hornets will proceed to select Fran Vazquez PF Spain [The guy will slip because Danny Granger is now a top 8 pick rising still]
New Orleans also picks #33 overall in which case you could see them taking a SF like Julius Hodge out of NC State

Buddwalk said:
Deron is a great point...like I said Nelson is a great scorer [has been all through college]

But Im sorry this still benifits the Hornets who need a pg and they get it and they still get a lottery pick

Here's the thing though; how does Nelson help the Hornets? How is he distinctly better than Dan Dickau or Speedy Claxton? He's better, but not so much better that it's worth dropping 7 spots in the draft. They're all too small to consider putting in the backcourt in any combination of two.

Unless the Hornets could turn around and move one of those point guards, they'd be stuck with three decent point guards, a good but unhappy center, a fading power forward and not a whole lot else.

phunwin said:
Here's the thing though; how does Nelson help the Hornets? How is he distinctly better than Dan Dickau or Speedy Claxton? He's better, but not so much better that it's worth dropping 7 spots in the draft. They're all too small to consider putting in the backcourt in any combination of two.

Unless the Hornets could turn around and move one of those point guards, they'd be stuck with three decent point guards, a good but unhappy center, a fading power forward and not a whole lot else.

You doubt Jameer Nelson the guy averaged almost 9 points off the bench...and he didnt get any playing time...Hes the kinda of scorer that can get ya 20-25 points a night...Dikaeu and Speedy combined cant do that for you. Jameer is gonna be a great player if he gets in a good situation

Speedy Claxton, 11.5 ppg in 30 min, A/TO ratio of 3.16 and 1.76 steals.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3419

Dan Dickau, 12.5 ppg in 29 min, A/TO ratio of 2.45 and 1.09 steals.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3625

Jameer Nelson, 8.7 ppg in 20 min, A/TO ratio of 2.0 and 0.99 steals.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3837

Given that each of these guys is about the same height, and none of them can (or ever will) rebound very well or be a defensive stopper (though Claxton is, at least, good at ambushing the passing lanes), please tell me how Nelson is such a huge upgrade over Claxton or Dickau.

Even granting that Nelson has a higher upside, given that he's 23, whereas Claxton and Dickau are 27 and 26, respectively, it's unlikely that Nelson's going to be so much better than those two, given their numbers as to justify that kind of deal, especially when the entire rest of the team is a wasteland.

Some stuff floating around.

Great point guards are one of the rarest commodities in any NBA draft. Only a great center is more uncommon.

In the last 10 years, only one draft, in 1999, had three legit point guards taken in the top 10 picks (Steve Francis, Baron Davis and Andre Miller).

This year, that feat likely will be matched again as Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Raymond Felton are all expected to be taken in the top 10.

For months, scouts argued that Paul was at the top of the class, with Williams and Felton fighting for second place.

Read the rest here.
http://www.ezekielbearsports.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=9133

Dont post whole articles...just post links thx

I just editted and deleted that article :D

Back
Top Bottom