Magic interested in second tier free agents | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Magic interested in second tier free agents

Den54

Punk Exterminator
Reaction score
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050701/SPORTS/507010337/1002/SPORTS

BY JOHN DENTON
FLORIDA TODAY
Second-tier targets
With little financial flexibility, the Orlando Magic won’t have much chance for NBA’s top free agents: Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Joe Johnson, Eddy Curry and Larry Hughes. Here are five free agents the Magic will likely target when the free-agent courting period opens today. Free agents can’t officially sign until July 22.

Earl Watson, PG, Grizzlies: He’s eager to be a starter and the Magic can give him minutes; a top defender that the Magic need.

Antonio Daniels, PG, Sonics: Magic also wanted him two years ago, but came up just short; he also longs to be a starter.

Marco Jaric, PG, Clippers: When healthy he’s proven capable of running a team; he can shoot and his size is a plus.

Jerome James, C, Sonics: Likely played his way into a big contract in the playoffs; worth a shot since he’s a Tampa native.

Darrell Armstrong, PG, Mavericks: Still a fan favorite in Orlando; showed with Mavs he can contribute in limited minutes.

With Steve Francis likely to spend more time at shooting guard this season, Orlando's main emphasis figures to be point guard. Daniels of Seattle, Watson of Memphis and Marco Jaric of the Los Angeles Clippers will certainly be on the Magic's radar because they offer an upgrade defensively at the point.

Daniels and Jaric would make plenty of sense. Big point guards that could team with Francis at the two. I don't think much of Jaric's defense, but I think even less of Jameer Nelson's.

James is virtually guaranteed to be a bust. Let's see, the guy drags his sizeable @$$ for most of the last three years, then comes alive in the playoffs, his last chance to secure a big payday. I'd be afraid to pay him more than 2 weeks at a time, let alone give him a long-term deal.

Some GM is going to hand him 4 years and $20 million, and a year from now he'll be offering his first born son to a team to take James off his hands.

If Orlando is interested in Antonio Daniels, I hope they're interested in giving him the entire MLE, because that is what he's going to get. Also, Daniels has said he wants to play with a contender.

2 Pistolz said:
If Orlando is interested in Antonio Daniels, I hope they're interested in giving him the entire MLE, because that is what he's going to get. Also, Daniels has said he wants to play with a contender.

Daniels in a Heat Uni...I could deal with that...

I'd be very careful in dealing with Antonio Daniels.
Sure the guy had a good year with arguably the best shooter in the NBA by his side, but his D is suspect and he never delivered prior to last season. He's done it for one year, he could be a late bloomer but the team that gives him a long term contract is taking a risk.

Section126 said:
Daniels in a Heat Uni...I could deal with that...

Daniels is my top option after Bobby Simmons, Michael Finley & Jalen Rose(both expected to be waived). Many people may call his defense suspect, but I just don't see it. The last two seasons I've watched him, AD's defense has been pretty good for a PG, and damn good last year. People forget how horrible Damon Jones is on the defensive side, and what a difference it would make to have a player in the starting five who is actually a good defender. With Daniels, Wade, Jones, Haslem, & Shaq...we'd have five pretty good defenders, three who are at the top of their games. However, Bobby Simmons is the best fit for this team. He's 25-years old, 6'6/228(bulk), he put up 16 points/5 boards/3 assists last year, he shot 47% from the field & 44% from beyond the arc, and he's a very tough defender. We'd be a much bigger team with Bobby Simmons. I was surprised to see Chad Ford say that he's probably gonna settle for the MLE. Then again, he's behind guys like Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Joe Johnson, Larry Hughes, etc.

Signing Udonis Haslem for 5-years/$32 million, Damon Jones for 3-years/$9 million, Bobby Simmons for the MLE, Brian Grant(expected to be waived) & a backup point guard to the minimum...yeah, that would do for a great offseason. Anthony Peeler could be another minimum addition if we aren't satisfied with Butler & Woods as the backup swings, because Dorell Wright is headed to the NBDL.

1-Wade, DJ, *whoever the hell
2-Jones, Butler, Wright
3-Simmons, Woods
4-Haslem, Simien, Grant
5-Shaq, Zo, Doleac

LOL, not that it matters, but our summer league team is gonna f*ck everybody up. Dorell Wright, Qyntel Woods, Albert Miralles, Wayne Simien, Matt Walsh, Sorrentine, etc.

Back
Top Bottom