Mandatory Minicamp 06/16/21 | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mandatory Minicamp 06/16/21

It’s a common stat, NFL.com keeps it for everyone. For example Justin Herbert had 1 TD and 4 INTs with 70 rating in the 4th quarter within 7 points. Joe Burrow got 2TDs and 2INTs and a rating of 89. He was better in that situation than Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Kinda kills your ”piss poor” assessment
Fine Rent. Instead of piss poor, .....underwhelm, we all good now?

Again, qualifiers after qualifiers, only look at 4th, only 2nd half within one score, don't count the Buf game, blah, blah, blah, It funny, with so many 'good' stats you threw out, how came his overall ranking so bad?
If you can cherry pick other stats why not any other stat? It's all fair game, just some people like to bytch and use it to tear down a player they dislike. I'll take the good stats please. Keep em coming...lol

try impressive, better than many eventual stars
Sorry, can't go that far. Now you are talking nonsense. He started nine games, got pull twice, stunk at Buf. Even some Tua diehards would not say he had an impressive rookie season.

Last edited:
try impressive, better than many eventual stars
With all due respect, I would not say Tua was impressive in his rookie season. Were the other "eventual starters" you are comparing him to benched twice for poor performance in their rookie season?

Objectively speaking and without the rose colored glasses Tua played 1 maybe 2 games where he was impressive, a few more games where he was just ok and then some pretty bad games.

Having said that I have no doubt Tua will be significantly improved this year and I'm looking forward to seeing just how well he plays...

With all due respect, I would not say Tua was impressive in his rookie season. Were the other "eventual starters" you are comparing him to benched twice for poor performance in their rookie season?

Objectively speaking and without the rose colored glasses Tua played 1 maybe 2 games where he was impressive, a few more games where he was just ok and then some pretty bad games.

Having said that I have no doubt Tua will be significantly improved this year and I'm looking forward to seeing just how well he plays...
That's fair. However, I said stars not starters. His first 9 games were better than guys like Drew Brees and Josh Allen

Sorry, can't go that far. Now you are talking nonsense. He started nine games, got pull twice, stunk at Buf. Even some Tua diehards would not say he had an impressive rookie season.
Again better first 9 games than guys like Drew Brees and Josh Allen, that's impressive no matter who you are

Reality is that there have been several HOF QBs who were benched, pulled or replaced during their rookie years (Bradshaw, Elway and Tarkenten come to mind immediately). And several others that played so bad early on that they arguably should have been benched or would have been if their team had another option. Anybody using that as their "criteria" for QB evaluation is relying on something that has proven to be unreliable.

Reality is that there have been several HOF QBs who were benched, pulled or replaced during their rookie years (Bradshaw, Elway and Tarkenten come to mind immediately). And several others that played so bad early on that they arguably should have been benched or would have been if their team had another option. Anybody using that as their "criteria" for QB evaluation is relying on something that has proven to be unreliable.
And none of those players should probably not have been playing at all due to a recent catastrophic injury.

those guys were all healthy and ready to go day one (physically).

Not to mention high draft pick QBs usually go to teams that are not fighting for a playoff spot.

No. Not satisfactory. All the things you pointed out could be the reasons he under performed, but not substitute for a successful rookie season.
Well I personally didn't have high expectations from him as I understood what type of injury he was rehabbing from, heck I thought they would sit him the first season.
Additionally he had good and bad games, he was not awful in all his games, so for me while he was not great he was not terrible either.
I'm repeating myself but this season is where you can really make a proper assessment imho.

No. Not satisfactory. All the things you pointed out could be the reasons he under performed, but not substitute for a successful rookie season.
Not satisfactory is your opinion, you're entitled to it. Doesn't mean its based on reality, however.

In reality, his numbers compare favorably by rookie standards, to numerous career, franchise QBs, and that's totally disregarding Ws and Ls, because those are team stats. His completion percentage and TD/INT ratio are better than many rookies that ended up winning Super Bowls, were excellent franchise QBs, etc.

Were his numbers best of all time? Nope. Is that the standard for "satisfactory?" Not to any logical person. The claim wasn't outstanding, excellent, super. Merely satisfactory...which it most certainly was, even if you don't consider any of the hurdles.

Back
Top Bottom