Manning still remembers when Miami's Defence broke his jaw | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Manning still remembers when Miami's Defence broke his jaw

dolfan_uk

Starter
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Playing Miami Defence will always have him thinking about this lol:hi5:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Tuesday, November 13, 2001[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]THE ASSOCIATED PRESS[/FONT]
INDIANAPOLIS -- It'll take more than a broken jaw to keep Peyton Manning off the field.
The Indianapolis Colts' quarterback, who has started every game for the team in the past four seasons, will be back Sunday despite the injury that left him bloodied and dazed.
Playing through the pain didn't seem to trouble him as much as figuring out how he was going to eat properly.
"I can't eat any solid food, just milkshakes, things like that," Manning said yesterday, struggling to talk a day after the injury. "But I've got to try and maintain my diet."
When he does take the field against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday, he won't be handing off to Edgerrin James. The two-time NFL rushing champion will miss at least two more games with ligament damage in his left knee, the team said.
James, hurt in the Colts' victory at Kansas City on Oct. 25, did not play the past two weeks, the first games he's missed in his three-year career.
Manning suffered a hairline fracture of his jaw in the fourth quarter of a 27-24 loss to Miami when defensive end Lorenzo Bromell hit him underneath the chin strap after a pass. Bromell was penalized.
Manning left the game for one play, replaced by Mark Rypien, then returned despite his bloodied and swollen jaw.
"I saw Mark come out on the field and I really wasn't going to come out," Manning said. "I've never really ever had to come out for a play before, but sometimes when you're dazed, that's when you make a mistake."
On the play Manning missed, the Dolphins recovered a fumble and drove 59 yards for the game-winning score.
Manning's fracture is on the part of the jaw that holds the teeth. His teeth were stabilized with a splint similar to an orthodontic retainer.
Manning was fitted for a mouthpiece and intends to try it out at practice this week. If he's able to call plays and audible, he'll use it.

Back
Top Bottom