manny wright | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

manny wright

I thought (and still think) that one of the few things Saban did right was the way he dealt with Manny. Manny Wright wanted an unconditional release so he could go try to sign with another team.

Saban handled that right, his hypocrisy and other shortcomings aside. Just because you're pissed off about the way the coach treats you doesn't entitle you to FA. We drafted him (and his rights) for four years. If he wants to work out a trade with another team, thats a different story.

But Saban was right...this is a business. You can choose not to play football. Thats perfectly legit. But if you play football, you have to come thru us to work it out for the next three years.

I was referring more to the way he initially handled him during TC. He attacked him verbally for not dressing out when it has been reported that Manny was only following a trainer's advice. Saban didn't stop to see who's fault it was only wanted to tear into someone.
You can't handle grown men in this manner. Even though Manny does not appear to be grown emotionally he is still considered a grown man.

Seems we have a ton of young D-line prospects if they all pan out (or even 1 or 2 pan out) we will have a killer rotation.

I for one think Rod Wright will be a star on the D-line next year. Manny showed flashes of being a quick rare talent as an inside pass rusher.

Evans and Vickerson both look like they have some great raw talent as well.

Totally agree. All we need is one more NT...and we are set for years.

Matt Roth, Rod Wright, Manny Wright, Fred Evans, and Kevin Vickerson.

The vets are Carter, Traylor, and Big Daddy. We can even wait til 2008 to draft that NT...:wink:

Lets focus on "Offense" this year...

Traylor and Big Daddy are probably gone. Kevin Carter is up in the air.

And I cant see how people are calling Manny a cry baby. I mean so what if the man cries, look at Dick Vermil, and hes a great coach. Alot of players cry.

I was referring more to the way he initially handled him during TC. He attacked him verbally for not dressing out when it has been reported that Manny was only following a trainer's advice. Saban didn't stop to see who's fault it was only wanted to tear into someone.
You can't handle grown men in this manner. Even though Manny does not appear to be grown emotionally he is still considered a grown man.

I guarantee you when I was 18 in basic training at Ft Sill OK, I was "verbally attacked" far worse for much less. I didn't cry and I didn't demand for the Army to release me to the Air Force. I sucked it up and kept going. Manny was/is immature. He needs to grow up.

He needs to know if he wants to play football for the next three years, he needs to get his fat arse in shape and understand the rigors of having a job. Its not always people being nice to you. Its about people driving you to be better than you would be left to your own devices.

I guarantee you when I was 18 in basic training at Ft Sill OK, I was "verbally attacked" far worse for much less. I didn't cry and I didn't demand for the Army to release me to the Air Force. I sucked it up and kept going. Manny was/is immature. He needs to grow up.

He needs to know if he wants to play football for the next three years, he needs to get his fat arse in shape and understand the rigors of having a job. Its not always people being nice to you. Its about people driving you to be better than you would be left to your own devices.

I agree with this but this is not basic training. I guarrantee you that when I was in basic training I saw that end of some verbal abuse as well. But I also guarrantee you that if someone on the outside would have talked to me the same way the drill sergeant did, they would not have gotten the same reaction!

All I am saying is that you don't need to treat grown men like little kids by screaming at them (unless they merit it). Treat people with respect and it will go alot further than when you disrepect them.

Only way we get any benefit is if Manny grows up and turns into a decent player for us, which might happen now that the Nictator is gone (good riddance).

Think about this. If there ever was a truer example of the type of player Nick Saban likes to draft, its Manny Wright. He embodies everything Nick has himself. He is the definition of Nick.

I don't want Nick back and I don't want Manny back. Despite the way Nick treated ihm, he is still a crying, whining quitter who couldn't handle the NFL mentally or physically. He should have listen to Carroll who told him to stay in school.

do you want ricky back?

Manny is not cut out to be a NFl player.He is not even responsible for himself .Count it as a Saban mistake.

Manny is not cut out to be a NFl player.He is not even responsible for himself .Count it as a Saban mistake.

This was not a mistake. Manny Wright had good upside. To get that kind of potential out of a fifth round pick is what the fifth round is for.

All 20 year old kids are susceptible to being immature. You should see some of the decisions my 20 year old son makes. Mind-boggling. But all 20 year old kids eventually get older and need to start making better decisions.

If he never makes it in the NFL, no big deal. But what pissed me off with Manny and where Saban did the right thing was telling him "its either here or no-where". Those are his only options.

If NS had just given him his release, that would have been a huge mistake.

I thought Nick Saban handled both the Manny Wright and Ricky Williams situations well. There is no sense in letting them go somewhere else and getting nothing in return. Nick is a hypocrite, but he is not the source of Manny's problems. That kid needs to keep his chin up, and stiffen his upper lip. I hope both Ricky and Manny can contribute, and then continue to contribute, or be traded for a pick that is not a head case.

I don't think he really mishandled the Manny Wright situation. He took a kid that did not want to work hard at all, had a weak mental constitution, and he brought him to a boil to where he felt he needed to **** or get off the pot. He got off the pot.

I think sometimes we lose sight of how damaging it could be if the Manny Wright laziness/wishy-washy attitude had been allowed to persist over a couple of years to where we could find ourselves tempted to count on him to produce...when he may not deliver.

You really do need people you can count on. If he looks good enough to hold down the fort at nose tackle, and so you don't go out of your way to acquire a good nose tackle, then you find yourself not being able to rely on him, that could be more devastating than driving him away sooner.

Now, I have to say now that Saban is gone I hope Manny is emboldened and decides he would like to work hard now...he would like to come back and show that he's a different man.

But I doubt it will happen.

Manny hangs out in here in ca clubbing and drinking bottles of patron every time he goes out. I dont think hes cut out for the nfl

I don't think he really mishandled the Manny Wright situation. He took a kid that did not want to work hard at all, had a weak mental constitution, and he brought him to a boil to where he felt he needed to **** or get off the pot. He got off the pot.

I think sometimes we lose sight of how damaging it could be if the Manny Wright laziness/wishy-washy attitude had been allowed to persist over a couple of years to where we could find ourselves tempted to count on him to produce...when he may not deliver.

You really do need people you can count on. If he looks good enough to hold down the fort at nose tackle, and so you don't go out of your way to acquire a good nose tackle, then you find yourself not being able to rely on him, that could be more devastating than driving him away sooner.

Now, I have to say now that Saban is gone I hope Manny is emboldened and decides he would like to work hard now...he would like to come back and show that he's a different man.

But I doubt it will happen.

I agree with your assessment 100%. Spot-on...

Manny hangs out in here in ca clubbing and drinking bottles of patron every time he goes out. I dont think hes cut out for the nfl

This sounds very credible.

I'm sure his conditioning has only deteriorated since leaving the NFL, and he was below-expectations when he was here
(and I would've said this regardless of the post above about "clubbing" and drinking patron tequilla).

He's not a hard worker......he is history IMO

Wright has a lot of growing up to do if he really wants to play in the NFL.
Yes, Saban is evil. Yes, Saban is a hypocrite.
But what did Saban do to Wright that was so unusually bad?
He told Wright he was gonna be the "guy" then gets Big Daddy in free agency.
So what? What coach wouldnt take the opportunity to upgrade their team?
Saban yelled and Manny....A LOT. Again, so what? He yelled at other players too. So did Parcells, Coughlin, Shula, Ditka, and about a hundred other "disciplinary" coaches in the NFL's history.
Hopefully the kid can get his life/act together and grow up a bit, or at least grow a thicker skin.
I wouldnt hold my breath, though.

Back
Top Bottom