Marcell Dareus signs extension with Buffalo, 6 years 108 million | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marcell Dareus signs extension with Buffalo, 6 years 108 million

I like the signing from the standpoint of what Darius gives you as an individual but from a team standpoint not at all. The Bills 2016 cap at the top is:

Darius 21 mil (guesstimate)
Williams 19 mil
Clay 13 mil
Gilmore 11 mil
Harvin 10 mil

40 mil for two guys on the DL and 13 mil to Charles Clay when you have no QB is absurd. Now if Tyrod Taylor lights it up this argument is void but I don't see him being the answer at QB.

The Bills are just playing with what they have and maximizing a roster that does not have to play a QB. If a QB emerges, the Bills should be able to make some moves. Mario Williams and Charles Clay can be used to increase cap if needed.

Right now Gilmore, assuming he has a great year, will be extended. Cordy Glenn at left tackle is the only big player that the Bills might have to let go.

But without a QB the chance for success is greatly diminished. Glenn may be the lone big name you can't resign in 2016 but you need to look at 2017 and beyond as well. For example, in 2017 there are 28 guys under contract eating 135 mil in space.

Of course. Bills fans are hoping Tyrod Taylor is the guy. They were looking at him since around January. There was a rumor that the Bills were going to go in an unconventional direction to solve their QB problem. We'll see soon enough. I think in the NFL players are forced to play too early and most QB's out of college can't handle it. Taylor has a great skillset and has set on the bench learning behind Flacco. The Bills have a top defense and should have a strong running game with great weapons. Taylor just has to play better than Orton/Manuel from last year.

The Bills had a really good defense under a different base philosophy with a damn good DC in Schwartz. The Bills have a ****load of talent defensively with a different base philosophy and not a big upgrade at the coach. I'm not sold on those players succeeding at the same level of last year. The potential is certainly there and we'll see over the next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No qb, why not pay everybody else

Paying out these high contracts to this many non QBs sets the Bills up for continuing fail at the position. Yea the Bills have a lot of talent on defense and spent a lot of money on skill positions on the offense as well but without that QB the odds of winning a Super Bowl are not high. They will most likely be a playoff team which takes them out the top 10 spots in the draft where the chances of finding that elusive QB are far higher than picking in the 20s.

In a perfect scenario teams picking in the top 10 get that opportunity to find a franchise QB. Miami had a golden opportunity in 2008 and passed on it but fortunately were able to capitalize in 2012.

So the Bills should have let their best player go so they could get a top 10 pick? The Bills are going to keep the defense loaded and have all the pieces ready should a good QB fall into their lap. The Bills have Tyrod and EJ. If these don't work out they will try to grab a QB in mid to late 1st like Green Bay, Baltimore, and Minnesota.

There is no easy strategy if you are not drafting 1st overall.

You can't let your best player walk out the door of course not nor did I ever say that. Again, from an individual standpoint its a great signing but will it propel the Bills to a Super Bowl without a QB? I doubt it. Does it minimize their chances of getting a franchise QB by gathering and paying everyone else? Absolutely. And again, if Tyrod Taylor plays well it negates the argument.

You can't let your best player walk out the door of course not nor did I ever say that. Again, from an individual standpoint its a great signing but will it propel the Bills to a Super Bowl without a QB? I doubt it. Does it minimize their chances of getting a franchise QB by gathering and paying everyone else? Absolutely. And again, if Tyrod Taylor plays well it negates the argument.

They are banking on Taylor becoming Russel Wilson. Probably not a good bet but it did work for Seattle. We will see.

BTW see your locale is now in the US. My older brother lives in Conway Springs and wants to retire far from Kansas. What in god's grace put you in Wichita?

They are banking on Taylor becoming Russel Wilson. Probably not a good bet but it did work for Seattle. We will see.

BTW see your locale is now in the US. My older brother lives in Conway Springs and wants to retire far from Kansas. What in god's grace put you in Wichita?
Priority placement. Find a job or the Dept of the Air Force will find one for you. It happens when you reach your max time allowed overseas. It was going to be Minot ND, Cheyenne WY or here. In hindsight I wish we chose Wyoming.

Wichita isn't a bad city overall but the taxes here are surprisingly high given how conservative the state is. Definitely counting down the days until we can move.

You are assuming that there is only one way to get a QB.

Saints: Free Agency, picked up player that had a few good seasons but had injury issues, won Superbowl

Packers: Late 1st round pick on QB that QB needy teams kept passing on, won Superbowl

Patriots: 6th round pick on QB that could barely throw the ball, won 4 Superbowls

Vikings: Late 1st round pick on QB that had crappy pro day.

Ravens: Mid to later 1st round pick on QB, won Superbowl

Cowboys, undrafted free agent QB, sat for a few years

Seahawks, 3rd round pick on QB that was under 6 feet tall, appeared in last 2 Superbowls, winning one

Even if a Luck comes out in the next 5 years, the Bills will never be terrible enough to draft him. So nothing has changed as QB's drafted in the 5-15 range haven't shown much recently.

Tannehill: Hit
Bortles: ???
EJ Manuel, still here, nothing over replacement QB play yet
Gabbert: Bust
Ponder: Bust
Locker: Bust

So as you can see, drafting high guarantees nothing if you don't get Luck or even Newton. We already have EJ Manuel and if he doesn't get better, does drafting 16th rather than 11 change anything?

Ii
You are assuming that there is only one way to get a QB.

Saints: Free Agency, picked up player that had a few good seasons but had injury issues, won Superbowl

Packers: Late 1st round pick on QB that QB needy teams kept passing on, won Superbowl

Patriots: 6th round pick on QB that could barely throw the ball, won 4 Superbowls

Vikings: Late 1st round pick on QB that had crappy pro day.

Ravens: Mid to later 1st round pick on QB, won Superbowl

Cowboys, undrafted free agent QB, sat for a few years

Seahawks, 3rd round pick on QB that was under 6 feet tall, appeared in last 2 Superbowls, winning one

Even if a Luck comes out in the next 5 years, the Bills will never be terrible enough to draft him. So nothing has changed as QB's drafted in the 5-15 range haven't shown much recently.

Tannehill: Hit
Bortles: ???
EJ Manuel, still here, nothing over replacement QB play yet
Gabbert: Bust
Ponder: Bust
Locker: Bust

So as you can see, drafting high guarantees nothing if you don't get Luck or even Newton. We already have EJ Manuel and if he doesn't get better, does drafting 16th rather than 11 change anything?

Rogers was regarded as a top 10 pick but inexplicably fell. Flacco was taken 15 or 16 bye a non playoff team. Brees was an FA because the Chargers drafted Rivers after Brees 3d year. During his 4th season you could see the progress that Brees made and the Chargers had a nice problem. Hurting his shoulder that 4th season made the Chargers choice a little easier and is what kept him from winding up in Miami. There has never been a hit on a FA QB of that magnitude before or after.

There are always exceptions to the rule and quite frankly you named a few out of how many QBs to be drafted over the last 15 years? If you look back in the modern history of the NFL you'll find that far more QBs that achieve long term success are selected in the upper half of the first round. Common sense dictates that is what will happen as well.

Back
Top Bottom