Marcus Davenport 6'5 250 lbs DE

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by twix2500, Dec 27, 2017.

1. twix2500

twix2500 A True Fan

Marcus Davenport 6'5 250 DE from UTSA. Reading that he's little known now but will 2nd pass rusher after Chubbs in draft. DeMarcus Ware comparison. Will keep it an eye on him during the off-season workouts. Could solidify the DLine into becoming a dominant group in the future with Charles Harris and Godchaux.

[​IMG]

FinaticalOne and j-off-her-doll like this.
  2. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I'm looking at Davenport as maybe a second crack at a Dion Jordan type for the Dolphins. Like Clelin Ferrell imo, interesting skill set with some excellent length and mobility, Ferrell looks a lot more powerful imo. I'm looking at Davenport as a SOLB, he'd better add some weight for NFL DE imo, 250 lbs is not a lot stretched over a 6-7 frame. But I think he came to A&M at 190 lbs so he has added a lot of weight on a narrow frame. Dude sure can move and get after it though. One to keep an eye on is Dan Moore LT from A&M and the Davenport clip below- plays with attitude, built like a fridge, can move/slide laterally and one heck of a hand punch. Quick feet on Moore, good prospect in a few years, iirc he's a freshman.

3. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

FWIW

CaneHammer likes this.
  4. ColoradoFin

ColoradoFin Well-Known Member

So is he 6’5” or 6’7”? I guess we will find out at the Combines.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I tend to think he's 6'6".

6. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry A True Fan

While I do like him I just wish him and Key kill the combine and both get picked top ten. No matter how well those two run, jump and measure I would still rather Bradley Chubb.

7. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

At 6'5" 250, wouldn't he be better in a 3-4 than a 4-3?

8. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry A True Fan

We will find out once he plays in an all star game, idk which ones he was invited to. But he sure will be at the combine. On whether 3-4 or 4-3, he has no expirience in coverage that I know of but usually plays standing up so he's not a finished product at either. I know he's tall. I'm more interested in his weight, bench reps, broad and vertical jump, work him out in agility, knee and ankle bend, see if he can play with leverage turning the corner and setting the edge and 3-4 teams will want to look at his hips, fluidness, instincts too.

9. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Don't know enough about him, but certainly sounds like the type of player Miami needs. Wonder what it would take to trade up for Chubbs? Would it take a 1 and a 2, or more than that? I might be temped to go that way and get that complete player who can also be a factor in the run game.

10. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Davenport has a lot of athletic abilities. In the few games I’ve seen of him, he’s hard not too miss. He’s usually the biggest guy out there. He runs like a deer and when he’s on top of his game, he’s making plays. I’ve seen him play mostly From the OLB position, rarely seeing him at DE. He’s similar to Jason Taylor, who played extensively at OLB, while at Akron. I’ll admit in Davenports’ most recent bowl game in 2017, I came away disappointed because I expected him to be dominant and only saw 2 impactful plays during the game. He’s certainly talented, but not sure I’d pick him at # 12-15 range, based on potential. Chubb is the guy for me at DE, he’s the more polished, well rounded player at the moment.

11. j-off-her-doll

Davenport's combination of length and power in his hands reminds me of Aldon Smith. If anything, Davenport looks more athletic than Smith, and, like Smith, he eats up OG's with his length - treats them like little kids - when he lines up inside. His hands aren't nearly as refined as Chubb's, but the force of his bull rush is ridiculous. If Miami goes DE in Round 1, I hope it's Chubb or Davenport. We know that something would have to happen for Chubb to fall, but Davenport could rise out of Miami's reach, too. It's not every year you see a versatile bully with that kind of length. He really filled out in 2017 - lost a little speed and burst, but the weight looks good on him.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  12. Lovethefish

Lovethefish Well-Known Member

Hard to imagine more athletic than Aldon Smith, time to pop in some tape of this kid.

13. ckparrothead

About Davenport's hand use, I think it's important not just to get caught up in the technique but to look at the core skill and coordination. The guy uses EITHER hand, is well coordinated with both of them, and he also uses BOTH hands in great combination/coordination together. He gets what he wants, in terms of placement and hand use.

That's a very significant core asset to have, especially when you're 6'6" (at least) and 250 lbs (at least).

This is why I am tempted to compare him to Jason Taylor. He's a little bit thicker in the legs than Taylor used to be, and since he's playing at UTSA and has a history of being bigger than a lot of guys he faces, he's got a lot more of that strength in his game where he tries to just bowl blockers over with the bull rush, whereas Taylor was a finesse guy at Akron. But the hand coordination and the fluid movement are very close.

Hands are (to me) what made Jason Taylor so special. He was a great athlete with a great build, but the way he used both hands in coordination created so many opportunities for him to make plays. His hand coordination was the reason he could always chop the football right out of the quarterback's hands, and/or recover the football and return it for a touchdown.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  14. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I'm going to have to check out Davenport. Sounds like pretty much what Miami needs.

I do think Smith will be gone by the Raiders pick and probably four quarterbacks will go in the top 10. Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Chubbs and maybe Nelson go top 10 as well. Sutton is a wildcard top 10, maybe to the 49ers. So maybe Davenport is there at #11.

How is he in run support? Right now, Miami really doesn't have that complete DE who can rush the passer and play the run at a high level. At least that's my opinion.

15. ckparrothead

What I find so unique about Davenport as opposed to other players that are big and talented is that his violence level, his effort level, are really compelling. That's the difference between him and an Arden Key. I watch them both and I don't know how I could take Arden Key over Marcus Davenport. I wouldn't. Plain and simple.

That's not answering your run defense question per se, but when you have his size and athleticism, and you note that he's also a high effort, violent player, that pretty much tells you what you need to know.

16. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

If I remember right the story on Jason Taylor was ungodly strong but could not gain weight and most team's were scared off thinking he would not hold up.

17. j-off-her-doll

I'm high on Chubb and Davenport, because the league has tended to counter athletic QB's and modern packages by bull rushing their DE's or 3-4 OLB's on base downs, and sometimes on 3rd down, without giving them much freedom to deviate from their path/gap. Recent DE's who have outperformed their draft positions (be it character or other) include guys like Justin Houston, Chandler Jones, Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter, Cameron Jordan, DeMarcus Lawrence, Yannick Ngakoue, and Emmanuel Ogbah. These are some of the longest DE's/3-4 OLB's in the league, with the exception of Lawrence (still long) and Ngakoue, and they all win with their hands, which allows them to produce significant plays on base downs. They don't need to deviate from their path (or even the threat of it) to win against OT's. Some of the other top guys (most drafted at appropriate value) have shorter arms but combine exceptional strength, athleticism, and skill - thinking Mack, Bosa, Griffen, Kerrigan, and Ingram, etc. If you're not one of these guys, you have to be a Clay Matthews, Von Miller or Bud Dupree, play LB about as well as you rush the passer.

Chubb and Davenport fit these models. Chubb reminds me of Jared Allen and Joey Bosa, and Davenport reminds me of Aldon Smith and Chandler Jones, but I also see the Jason Taylor comp. I think you're exactly right about his effort and violence making him an excellent run defender in the NFL. He looks like a guy who is just scratching the surface of what he can be, and he's already very good. Outside of Mayfield (don't think Chubb is going?), Davenport is my top player at the Senior Bowl, and I expect that most people will have him in the top 10 by the end of SB weekend.

18. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Well, you make some good points J-Off.

People have to realize that good run fits come down to two key components....maintaining leverage on the football, and gap integrity. That's what it boils down to. Run defense is very much a unit specific achievement, much like offensive line play. If one guy doesn't do his job, it can result in a big play.

You have to know what a guy's individual responsibilities are in a given scheme in order to determine the quality of his run defense. That said, Davenport should have no issue playing run defense at the next level, for the reasons you illustrated. The physical talent and length is what will allow him to maintain leverage on the football.

Gap integrity is more of the unit specific achievement that I mentioned previously. Different fronts (spill, contain, etc.) ask for different things in terms of gap integrity. I remember watching Jason Taylor get upfield to get after the quarterback only to see the handoff to the runningback go right by where Taylor was just at for huge gains more times than I care to count. It's because there was no linebacker there to fill in that gap Taylor had just vacated. Poor run fits. No gap integrity. The linebacker didn't do his job.

If every player will just do their job and not try to do somebody else's, sound run fits are typically the result. Guys are where they're supposed to be. Then it's just a matter of making the tackle.

19. TraderJoe

TraderJoe FinHeaven VIP

I’ll trust in our resident gurus like CK & Slimm but that A&M video wasn’t very impressive to me.

For somebody his size he gets pushed backwards easily and who he hits falls forward a lot. He was below average at making the read and allowed the QB outside nearly every time.

He doesn’t stop hustling, takes good angles, and looked fluid dropping into coverage.

20. ckparrothead

To expand on j-off's point here about lane discipline in pass rush, something you're actually seeing happen more often nowadays is defenses using hulks like Ndamukong Suh out on the wings to execute that bull rush, while taking the lengthy, mobile guys and having them free rush the guards over the middle.

Watch how LB Lorenzo Alexander is used by the Bills some time. There are others like that out there. Miami is doing a lot of those types of things. Hell, UTSA does it with Marcus Davenport and it's one of the things that make him attractive.

j-off-her-doll likes this.