Marcus Davenport 6'5 250 lbs DE | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marcus Davenport 6'5 250 lbs DE

twix2500

Active Roster
Reaction score
Marcus Davenport 6'5 250 DE from UTSA. Reading that he's little known now but will 2nd pass rusher after Chubbs in draft. DeMarcus Ware comparison. Will keep it an eye on him during the off-season workouts. Could solidify the DLine into becoming a dominant group in the future with Charles Harris and Godchaux.

BwZCeJyCYAEeabb.jpg

Marcus Davenport 6'5 250 DE from UTSA. Reading that he's little known now but will 2nd pass rusher after Chubbs in draft. DeMarcus Ware comparison. Will keep it an eye on him during the off-season workouts. Could solidify the DLine into becoming a dominant group in the future with Charles Harris and Godchaux.

BwZCeJyCYAEeabb.jpg
I'm looking at Davenport as maybe a second crack at a Dion Jordan type for the Dolphins. Like Clelin Ferrell imo, interesting skill set with some excellent length and mobility, Ferrell looks a lot more powerful imo. I'm looking at Davenport as a SOLB, he'd better add some weight for NFL DE imo, 250 lbs is not a lot stretched over a 6-7 frame. But I think he came to A&M at 190 lbs so he has added a lot of weight on a narrow frame. Dude sure can move and get after it though. One to keep an eye on is Dan Moore LT from A&M and the Davenport clip below- plays with attitude, built like a fridge, can move/slide laterally and one heck of a hand punch. Quick feet on Moore, good prospect in a few years, iirc he's a freshman.

So is he 6’5” or 6’7”? I guess we will find out at the Combines.

While I do like him I just wish him and Key kill the combine and both get picked top ten. No matter how well those two run, jump and measure I would still rather Bradley Chubb.

At 6'5" 250, wouldn't he be better in a 3-4 than a 4-3?

We will find out once he plays in an all star game, idk which ones he was invited to. But he sure will be at the combine. On whether 3-4 or 4-3, he has no expirience in coverage that I know of but usually plays standing up so he's not a finished product at either. I know he's tall. I'm more interested in his weight, bench reps, broad and vertical jump, work him out in agility, knee and ankle bend, see if he can play with leverage turning the corner and setting the edge and 3-4 teams will want to look at his hips, fluidness, instincts too.

Don't know enough about him, but certainly sounds like the type of player Miami needs. Wonder what it would take to trade up for Chubbs? Would it take a 1 and a 2, or more than that? I might be temped to go that way and get that complete player who can also be a factor in the run game.

Davenport has a lot of athletic abilities. In the few games I’ve seen of him, he’s hard not too miss. He’s usually the biggest guy out there. He runs like a deer and when he’s on top of his game, he’s making plays. I’ve seen him play mostly From the OLB position, rarely seeing him at DE. He’s similar to Jason Taylor, who played extensively at OLB, while at Akron. I’ll admit in Davenports’ most recent bowl game in 2017, I came away disappointed because I expected him to be dominant and only saw 2 impactful plays during the game. He’s certainly talented, but not sure I’d pick him at # 12-15 range, based on potential. Chubb is the guy for me at DE, he’s the more polished, well rounded player at the moment.

Davenport's combination of length and power in his hands reminds me of Aldon Smith. If anything, Davenport looks more athletic than Smith, and, like Smith, he eats up OG's with his length - treats them like little kids - when he lines up inside. His hands aren't nearly as refined as Chubb's, but the force of his bull rush is ridiculous. If Miami goes DE in Round 1, I hope it's Chubb or Davenport. We know that something would have to happen for Chubb to fall, but Davenport could rise out of Miami's reach, too. It's not every year you see a versatile bully with that kind of length. He really filled out in 2017 - lost a little speed and burst, but the weight looks good on him.

Davenport's combination of length and power in his hands reminds me of Aldon Smith. If anything, Davenport looks more athletic than Smith, and, like Smith, he eats up OG's with his length - treats them like little kids - when he lines up inside. His hands aren't nearly as refined as Chubb's, but the force of his bull rush is ridiculous. If Miami goes DE in Round 1, I hope it's Chubb or Davenport. We know that something would have to happen for Chubb to fall, but Davenport could rise out of Miami's reach, too. It's not every year you see a versatile bully with that kind of length. He really filled out in 2017 - lost a little speed and burst, but the weight looks good on him.
Hard to imagine more athletic than Aldon Smith, time to pop in some tape of this kid.

About Davenport's hand use, I think it's important not just to get caught up in the technique but to look at the core skill and coordination. The guy uses EITHER hand, is well coordinated with both of them, and he also uses BOTH hands in great combination/coordination together. He gets what he wants, in terms of placement and hand use.

That's a very significant core asset to have, especially when you're 6'6" (at least) and 250 lbs (at least).

This is why I am tempted to compare him to Jason Taylor. He's a little bit thicker in the legs than Taylor used to be, and since he's playing at UTSA and has a history of being bigger than a lot of guys he faces, he's got a lot more of that strength in his game where he tries to just bowl blockers over with the bull rush, whereas Taylor was a finesse guy at Akron. But the hand coordination and the fluid movement are very close.

Hands are (to me) what made Jason Taylor so special. He was a great athlete with a great build, but the way he used both hands in coordination created so many opportunities for him to make plays. His hand coordination was the reason he could always chop the football right out of the quarterback's hands, and/or recover the football and return it for a touchdown.

I'm going to have to check out Davenport. Sounds like pretty much what Miami needs.

I do think Smith will be gone by the Raiders pick and probably four quarterbacks will go in the top 10. Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Chubbs and maybe Nelson go top 10 as well. Sutton is a wildcard top 10, maybe to the 49ers. So maybe Davenport is there at #11.

How is he in run support? Right now, Miami really doesn't have that complete DE who can rush the passer and play the run at a high level. At least that's my opinion.

What I find so unique about Davenport as opposed to other players that are big and talented is that his violence level, his effort level, are really compelling. That's the difference between him and an Arden Key. I watch them both and I don't know how I could take Arden Key over Marcus Davenport. I wouldn't. Plain and simple.

That's not answering your run defense question per se, but when you have his size and athleticism, and you note that he's also a high effort, violent player, that pretty much tells you what you need to know.

Back
Top Bottom