Marcus Tubbs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marcus Tubbs

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
If the Dolphins, as I expect, wait to see if Shawn Andrews is available 20th overall (unfortunately, I expect him to be off the board), and if he's not there trade down with New England picking up the final pick of the first round, and the final pick of the 2nd round, don't be surprised to see Marcus Tubbs of Texas get a long look with our new first round selection.

I know a lot of people think we have bigger needs than Defensive Tackle, and we probably do. However, I don't think that we have a need that is so glaring and crucial that we need to fill that slot with the first pick instead of taking the best player available; especially if we pick up a second round choice to give us three first day picks. Right Tackle, obviously is a need but I like John St. Clair; he's not great but he's solid and should be stronger than he was in 2002 because he has another season under his belt as a Tackle. You have to remember that he had never played Tackle before the Rams moved him there because of his athleticism and size. I also like Taylor Whitley inside more than most people, along with Greg Jerman. Both of these players are guys the coaching staff likes, and has developed and I think either could be a pretty good guard. Not great, but pretty good. Obviously, we need to add another player over there on the right side but that can be done in the 2nd or 3rd round with a guy like Antonio Hall from Kentucky who I really like or one of the "true" RT's in this draft.

Anyway, on to Tubbs. This guy, in my opinion, is a Tim Bowens clone. 6-4 318 with a great deal of strength and power. Doesn't have ideal speed but he has good quickness and very good feet. The guy fits our system perfectly in terms of being able to tie up blockers and free up the linebackers but I think his ability as a bull rusher will allow him to improve the inside push a little bit. He hasn't completely played up to his potential but he had a very good senior year, especially against the run and looked great in the workouts. Let's face it; I love Bowens but he is going to miss a couple of games next season in all likelihood even though when he's on the field he still plays at a high level. Larry Chester is a sound player and I like Jeff Zgonina, but he's getting up there in age. With the Pats picking up Corey Dillon, this would be a good move to counter that, a guy that can contribute in the rotation, play behind Bowens, and be able to consistently play on 3rd downs, as well as a good move for the future. Get him at 32, come back in the 2nd with a Lineman, and then take a Receiver in the 3rd and a Linebacker in the Fourth. I'll have my first, and only mock that I put a TON of preperation into, ready very shortly. But I think Tubbs is my guy.

I like the pick a lot. Age at DT and its importance in our run defense make this an area I really think has to be addressed sooner or later. I'd rather be a year early than a year late on it, too.

I have posted several times that we might go DT with our first pick tho I'd love for it to be Wilfork but he should be gone. Starks is another guy that could be there for us.I have no problem with a DT depending on who and when we take him.

Ozzy rules!!

Assuming Andrews is gone, I wouldn't mind trading down for a DT, be it Tubbs or Dockett. At least one of them should be available at the end of round 1.

Back
Top Bottom