Mare's kicking woes continue....(but is it his fault?) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mare's kicking woes continue....(but is it his fault?)

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
Well, Mare did it again. He missed another kick from short distance. But can we blame him entirely?

From watching the kick, if you notice the snap was a bit high. Donnie Jones had to adjust a bit and barely had enough time to set the ball down. By the time the ball was set, Mare was already on his way to kick the ball.

While the snap wasn't completely out of reach, it was still a bit high.

I truly beleive that part of Mare's kicking woes are due to lack of chemistry between the snapper, holder and the kicker.

I don't beleive Mare has lost his touch, nor his accuracy. I just beleive he is having trouble adjusting to a new snapper and holder.

Mare had his best years with Ed Perry as his long snapper, and Matt Turk or Jay Fiedler as the holder. We would actually sign Perry to extensions strictly due to his ability of long snapping. The 54 yarder kicked in the snow in Denver, was when Perry was snapping. It's very crucial to have a good long snapper.

I know for a fact Mare has not lost his strength in his leg. He has the most touchbacks this season. He still has the ability to kick them from long range. I just think his bad season is due to lack of special teams chemistry. It's taking time to adjust.

I think Mare deserves one more year as a Dolphin, but with a paycut.

Predaphin said:
Well, Mare did it again. He missed another kick from short distance. But can we blame him entirely?

From watching the kick, if you notice the snap was a bit high. Donnie Jones had to adjust a bit and barely had enough time to set the ball down. By the time the ball was set, Mare was already on his way to kick the ball.

While the snap wasn't completely out of reach, it was still a bit high.

I truly beleive that part of Mare's kicking woes are due to lack of chemistry between the snapper, holder and the kicker.

I don't beleive Mare has lost his touch, nor his accuracy. I just beleive he is having trouble adjusting to a new snapper and holder.

Mare had his best years with Ed Perry as his long snapper, and Matt Turk or Jay Fiedler as the holder. We would actually sign Perry to extensions strictly due to his ability of long snapping. The 54 yarder kicked in the snow in Denver, was when Perry was snapping. It's very crucial to have a good long snapper.

I know for a fact Mare has not lost his strength in his leg. He has the most touchbacks this season. He still has the ability to kick them from long range. I just think his bad season is due to lack of special teams chemistry. It's taking time to adjust.

I think Mare deserves one more year as a Dolphin, but with a paycut.

He gets no "laces out" pass from me. The guys job is to make kicks, and he's missed way too many at his paycheck to earn a pass.

I do agree something has to be happening, but its also the same thing with Vanderjact he has been the most accurate kicker in the league for years and now that its in his head he hasn't been very good. Hopefully it doesn't get too deep in Mare's head or he will be gone. I think his performance yesterday may have sealed his fate though. Once a kicker gets into his own head he has a hard time getting out.

It is annoying because his problems have to be fixable. He used to be so clutch. It isn't like he lost power in his leg. Plus kickers have been known to keep accuracy well into their 40s. I think it is time to call Tony Robbins

I agree with the reposts...Its waaaaaaaay to late for the excuses. Maybe that excuse could work if it was 3 maybe 4 misses...But 10...You can't attribute 10 misses to the holder

In some of the kicks earlier this year, it didn't seem like he was accounting for the weather -- he was just kicking it straight, but with a strong crosswind, it blew it off to one side and thus, no good. As far as yesterday, from the announcers, it sounded like the wind was straight at him (as opposed to a crosswind). But yet he still missed it.

There's no doubt on his strength though. As was pointed out, he's lead the league in touchbacks, plus the 42-yarder had plenty of distance. But, I'm more out to think it's his lack of adjustment than timing/confidence/etc. in the snapper and holder.

I like the idea of calling Tony Robbins, but Mare needs to take a pay cut as well. He isn't earning what he's getting paid.

Shamboubou said:
I do agree something has to be happening, but its also the same thing with Vanderjact he has been the most accurate kicker in the league for years and now that its in his head he hasn't been very good. Hopefully it doesn't get too deep in Mare's head or he will be gone. I think his performance yesterday may have sealed his fate though. Once a kicker gets into his own head he has a hard time getting out.

They have to release him and how

How can anyone defend him?? He's missed the most kicks this year. A paycut isn't going to magically turn him into a good kicker. He doesn't deserve any more years as a Dolphin.

he's cost us 30 points this year....he hasn't been clutch for YEARS!

No excuses whatsoever. Denney has been the long snapper and Donnie Jones the holder for well over a year now. "Adjust"? Are you kidding me? That crap doesn't fly with me. He's missed 10 ****ing kicks. His *** should've been out the door two weeks ago, never mind giving him another year. Let him miss half his kicks for some other team.

Hmm that would make sense, if he hadn't been on the decline for years now.

Its time for him to go.

Maybe the time to figure out was was going on with Mare was over three years ago when he botched two kicks against NE at home which would have won the game and changed the entire course of that season. He hasn't been dependable since then; now it's just unbelievably obvious that he's done.

Back
Top Bottom