Marino Hates Bubble Screens And I Do Too | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino Hates Bubble Screens And I Do Too

If I were Tannehill I would just audible out of them every time he calls them. And by audible I mean just call something different in the huddle.

Tannehill is a yes man, which is what Gase wants in his players. So that will not be happening. Marino now, he would absolutely do that. I miss that edge/swag in our QB.

Tannehill is a yes man, which is what Gase wants in his players. So that will not be happening. Marino now, he would absolutely do that. I miss that edge/swag in our QB.

Which is why I'm already looking forward to the next regime. The dink-and-dunk offense didn't work for Philbin, and it isn't working for Gase. If they had played a better team on Sunday they would have been down by 10-20 points by the first rain delay! Get a new VP, GM, and coaching staff with an eye for talent and find the next Marino (and Zach Thomas, Louis Oliver, etc.)!

Hell, I can’t remember a time when Marino threw short of the marker on 3rd or a bubble screen. Everytime it was 3rd and long, Marino would be in the shotgun and everyone knew what was coming. They jist couldn’t defend a perfect pass.
On 3rd and 19 he threw it 20 yards. Regularly. See clips from ‘85 Bears game that someone posted here. Even when he got older. I remember a game vs the Titans (or Oilers) when JJ was coach. 3rd and 29 and he hits McDuffie down the middle w a laser beam instride about 33 yards into the secondary and the play goes for about 40 and leads to a scoring drive that changed the game in our favor. No one does that stuff now.

On 3rd and 19 he threw it 20 yards. Regularly. See clips from ‘85 Bears game that someone posted here. Even when he got older. I remember a game vs the Titans (or Oilers) when JJ was coach. 3rd and 29 and he hits McDuffie down the middle w a laser beam instride about 33 yards into the secondary and the play goes for about 40 and leads to a scoring drive that changed the game in our favor. No one does that stuff now.

Exactly! Most coaches/QBs would run a draw play on 3rd and forever. Not Marino! Marino was always looking down field. I watched the game against the Redskins that someone posted. I forgot how fast his release was. It’s amazing how the camera men couldn’t keep up with the ball lol.

Exactly! Most coaches/QBs would run a draw play on 3rd and forever. Not Marino! Marino was always looking down field. I watched the game against the Redskins that someone posted. I forgot how fast his release was. It’s amazing how the camera men couldn’t keep up with the ball lol.
He really was special. Even watching older, non-HD footage, it’s obvious he was faster to process and sling it than anyone in the game today. And that goes for Mr Rodgers too.

Honestly, I don't mind bubble screens as long as they aren't overused. I've seen some big gains on those type of plays. Could work with someone like Grant.

Throwing short is who Tannehill is, what he is comfortable with and what he does best. Mostly, he hasn't been successful throwing deep until the run game is working and short passes bring the DBs in.

This may very well be who he is.

Many argue with stats but his long ball is not as accurate as stats would lead to believe. I mean... sheesh... if he could throw beauties like the one he dropped in the basket last week on a consistent basis... But I find he more often under throws the deep ball.

The question is why the hell don't they roll him out more often. Tanne has one of the most beautiful deep throws while on the run that I've seen.

AND THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD, THREAD MAKER. AND AMEN TO THOSE TALKING THROWS BELOW THE STICKS ON THIRD.

When they throw short of the yellow line on 3rd down, I want to force choke the **** out of Gase from my living room. You can not call yourself a fan and be ok with that sort of play call. Its LOSER MENTALITY play.

As I've said on other threads, we will never be elite if we are not a threat down field. It's not rocket science.

Throwing for 5 yards when you need 10 or punt is so familiar. Where have we seen... gee I swear thats... wonder where ive heard that bef- OH! "Its not a sin to punt." Was that the exact quote? Man, all these years later and we seem to have the same philosopy.

This may very well be who he is.

Many argue with stats but his long ball is not as accurate as stats would lead to believe. I mean... sheesh... if he could throw beauties like the one he dropped in the basket last week on a consistent basis... But I find he more often under throws the deep ball.

The question is why the hell don't they roll him out more often. Tanne has one of the most beautiful deep throws while on the run that I've seen.

AND THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD, THREAD MAKER. AND AMEN TO THOSE TALKING THROWS BELOW THE STICKS ON THIRD.

When they throw short of the yellow line on 3rd down, I want to force choke the **** out of Gase from my living room. You can not call yourself a fan and be ok with that sort of play call. Its LOSER MENTALITY play.

As I've said on other threads, we will never be elite if we are not a threat down field. It's not rocket science.

Throwing for 5 yards when you need 10 or punt is so familiar. Where have we seen... gee I swear thats... wonder where ive heard that bef- OH! "Its not a sin to punt." Was that the exact quote? Man, all these years later and we seem to have the same philosopy.

Lol, awesome post! I want to choke the **** out of Gase too. I would love to see Marino’s reaction to Gase’s 3rd play calling. I bet he thinks Gase is a *****. Especially with how soft the conrers have to play the WRs now.

I appreciated the way Dan defended Tannehill - “he’s very good” when Patrick was trying to see if he thought he was still a mystery. Good interview.

In 2016 the Dolphins' pass offense was significantly worse (statistically) when throwing screen passes vs throwing any other pass.

I don't have data for 2017, because NFL1000 didn't do it for me, and I sure as **** am not going to go back and manually chart 14 games of Jay Cutler.

In 2018, the Dolphins have thrown screen passes twice. One picked up 11 yards on 3rd and 21, which, whatever, the team was up and wanted to kick a field goal to extend to a two score lead. The other screen came on a 3rd and 8 and picked up a cool three yards.

It's probably my least favorite play in football.
I’m torn. I might hate the fade in the EZ just as much. 22 guys on the field and you make it a 3 person game w the QB, WR and CB. You call the play and there is no room for any improv. It feels cheap when you score and it’s agonizing when you don’t. It kind of feels like the shoot out in hockey to me - my other favorite sport. Just a hollow feeling about it.

This is why I hated Philbin's offensive philosophy, and why I hate Gase (who also prefers the short pass). I'm already looking forward to the next regime!

Back
Top Bottom